    address to the gbic interface or can you? somone suggesting creating
    vlans. Our two sites are on separate VLAN domains. Any input with
    some sample command syntax would be greatly appreciated.

    FredJ, Jun 26, 2007

  2. FredJ

    Chris Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:58:06 -0700, FredJ wrote:

    > Need some expert input advice. I am new to this stuff, struggling to
    > get by. We are planning to replace our existing 10Mb Ethernet WAN
    > with 1GB Ethernet. The 10mb is currently between two 3600 routers.
    > To take advantage of 1gb we plan on using our 6000 switches with
    > routing modules. How do we link up the two, since you can't assign IP
    > address to the gbic interface or can you? somone suggesting creating
    > vlans. Our two sites are on separate VLAN domains. Any input with
    > some sample command syntax would be greatly appreciated.

    You can either use the interfaces as layer 3 and give them IP addresses or
    layer 2 with vlans.

    interface Gi1/1
    no switchport
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

    or

    interface Gi1/1
    switchport access vlan 100

    interface vlan 100
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

    Configuring GigE interfaces really isn't any different from FastEthernet.

    Chris.

    Chris, Jun 26, 2007

  3. FredJ

    stephen Guest

    "FredJ" <> wrote in message
    > Need some expert input advice. I am new to this stuff, struggling to
    > get by. We are planning to replace our existing 10Mb Ethernet WAN
    > with 1GB Ethernet. The 10mb is currently between two 3600 routers.
    > To take advantage of 1gb we plan on using our 6000 switches with
    > routing modules. How do we link up the two, since you can't assign IP
    > address to the gbic interface or can you?

    You can if the switches are set up in the right way.

    somone suggesting creating
    > vlans. Our two sites are on separate VLAN domains. Any input with
    > some sample command syntax would be greatly appreciated.

    it depends on whether you are running CatOS + IOS on the MSFC (called hybrid
    mode sometimes), or just IOS.

    it would help if you described the setup.

    IOS gives support for various router oriented bells and whistles like DFCs,
    CatOS / hybrid has better "switching" features.

    IOS supports IP on the port - see another post.

    Both setups have pretty high L3 thruput if you have a PFC, or a Sup with it
    built in, (M's of packets / sec) - there have been several generations of
    processor in the Cat 6000 series chassis.

    With hybrid you use CatOS to define a VLAN at L2, and add a logical
    interface on the MSFC in that VLAN, then use the MSFC to route between the
    VLANs - but you are basically configuring 2 logical functions in the 1 box
    separately, to the extent that you log into them separately.
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl

    stephen, Jun 27, 2007