    optimistic that things would be better. Has anyone had a similar
    experience, or is it just my luck? I went from swearing by Gateway to
    swearing at them.
    mcp6453, Dec 9, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    bmoag Guest

    The problem is likely Win98 ver 1 incompatibility with a more modern driver.
    Video driver problems will usually cause freezes or BSOD but not audio
    drivers.
    You are not doing this kid a favor using Win98 ver 1. At least go to
    version 2 if not WinME.
    bmoag, Dec 9, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Jerry G. Guest

    You should be using Win98 Second Addition at the very least. The first
    addition will have a lot of problems.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    I'm rebuilding a Gateway PII for a kid, starting with a fresh install of
    the OS, Windows 98 First Edition. Everything worked fine until I used
    the Gateway update utility to check for updated drivers. It found and
    downloaded an update for the sound card. After I installed the drivers,
    the computer immediately began BSOD. Ultimately I was able to get into
    the Safe Mode and remove them. Long story short, the only way I was able
    to get the computer to work correctly was to install the OLD drivers
    from the recovery CD.

    I ran into this problem with Gateway Update some time ago, but I was
    Jerry G., Dec 10, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:

    > You should be using Win98 Second Addition at the very least. The first
    > addition will have a lot of problems.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jerry G.
    > =====
    >
    > "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > I'm rebuilding a Gateway PII for a kid, starting with a fresh install of
    > the OS, Windows 98 First Edition. Everything worked fine until I used
    > the Gateway update utility to check for updated drivers. It found and
    > downloaded an update for the sound card. After I installed the drivers,
    > the computer immediately began BSOD. Ultimately I was able to get into
    > the Safe Mode and remove them. Long story short, the only way I was able
    > to get the computer to work correctly was to install the OLD drivers
    > from the recovery CD.
    >
    > I ran into this problem with Gateway Update some time ago, but I was
    > optimistic that things would be better. Has anyone had a similar
    > experience, or is it just my luck? I went from swearing by Gateway to
    > swearing at them.

    I agree, but the customer does not a license to Second Edition.
    mcp6453, Dec 10, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 10:02:47 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I'm rebuilding a Gateway PII for a kid, starting with a fresh install of
    >the OS, Windows 98 First Edition. Everything worked fine until I used
    >the Gateway update utility to check for updated drivers. It found and
    >downloaded an update for the sound card. After I installed the drivers,
    >the computer immediately began BSOD. Ultimately I was able to get into
    >the Safe Mode and remove them. Long story short, the only way I was able
    >to get the computer to work correctly was to install the OLD drivers
    >from the recovery CD.
    >
    >I ran into this problem with Gateway Update some time ago, but I was
    >optimistic that things would be better. Has anyone had a similar
    >experience, or is it just my luck? I went from swearing by Gateway to
    >swearing at them.

    Why would you expect it to work any differently?

    You should ALWAYS use the original drivers that came with the original
    hardware. Only upgrade if something is not working correctly...or if
    there's some other definite need.

    You probably got SE drivers...since FE isn't supported any longer by
    most vendors.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 10, 2004