Gateway Solo 1450 Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Michael Brown, Oct 15, 2005.

  1. I have a few questions. Is it possible if I put the wrong CPU in a Solo
    1450, that it will ruin the motherboard? The chip that came out of it was
    is a 1.33ghz 256 cache. It went bad...I'm assuming. I no longer have that
    chip. Anyway. I got a 1.13ghz 512 cache and put in it. The same thing
    happens,
    just the hard drive spins...no other lights come on except the
    power light. The LCD does not even light up. A friend has the same
    machine, so I borrowed hers and took the chip out of my machine (1.13 512
    cache)and put it in hers. I get the same result as I originally did with
    mine.
    I then put her chip in my machine (1.33 256 cache) and still get the same
    result. Well, at that point I decided to put her machine back together and
    get it back to her. Well, surprise, surprise! I now have two machines that
    now do the exact same thing...nothing! Could it have been that 512 cache
    chip that did it? Did it mess up the 1.33 256 cache ship? Does any of this
    make any sense? I have ordered a new chip for her machine. I'm just hoping
    I don't have to replace her motherboard.
    Oh and just to be sure I switched out the system memory, took out the
    drives, the modem just to be sure it was not something else and nothing
    changes.

    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Michael

    Michael Brown, Oct 15, 2005

  2. Okay, seems the second chip was bad. I put in a new chip and it started
    right up no problem.

    Michael Brown, Oct 17, 2005