    D00377-002-001.exe

    They download / install then status of install shows FAILED.
    Any help appreciated.
    - Bobb -, Oct 8, 2010

  2. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > Nephew's PC got infected during summer and I fixed it but just noticed a
    > problem.
    > Speaker Beeps OK, but if you watch video clip - no audio plays.
    > Device Mgr shows these devices with exclamation. I've looked online and have
    > searched Google and see others having same problem,so:
    >
    > Does anyone out there have a Gateway Mx6440 laptop with XP with a AMD cpu ?
    > If so could you post /copy/send me driver for Multimedia Audio Controller
    > and PCI modem ?
    > I see other folks asking the same question at drivers.com, gateway.com - for
    > same result.
    > I think they only have Intel drivers posted and old laptop so they don't
    > care.
    > I've downloaded from Gateway.com - the ones listed do not work.
    > D00377-002-001.exe
    >

    > They download / install then status of install shows FAILED.
    > Any help appreciated.

    If I unzip your D00377-002-001 file with 7-ZIP, inside ari2041a.inf, I see

    %*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_2041161F
    %*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_0301107B

    If I use http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids and look up VEN_1002&DEV_4370
    I get

    4370 IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller
    1025 0079 Aspire 5024WLMMi
    1025 0091 Aspire 5032WXMi
    103c 308b MX6125
    105b 0c81 Realtek ALC 653
    107b 0300 MX6421
    1462 0131 MS-1013 Notebook

    which is a little weird. I would have expected the PNP info to be mentioning
    AC97 rather than PCI.

    Something else that is weird, is the pci.ids info lists 107b 0300 for MX6421
    and MX6421 is in that Gateway driver download compatibility list. And
    yet 0301 107B is the only Gateway entry in the driver. To support all those
    laptops, they'd all need matching 0301 107B, for the driver to "take".
    In other words, if I were to believe the pci.ids info (which is fallible
    and is populated with volunteered info), it would seem the MX6421 has 0300
    in SUBSYS, and not the 0301 used in the driver.

    So then the question becomes, can you find a driver that matches

    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_0300107B

    *******

    If I go here

    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=1009033

    and download D00377-002-002.exe , it has qta0300a.inf . The single
    PNP entry in there has the 0300 value.

    %*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_0300107B

    Using your favorite hardware lister utility (I use Everest), first double
    check the audio enumeration and see if it is actually a 0300 SUBSYS value.
    Then, you may be able to install that driver.

    AC'97 drivers are sorted by Southbridge:AC97_chip , and sometimes you
    can find an AC'97 driver, but it is for the wrong family of Southbridges.
    It can be quite messy, getting both right by randomly searching
    the Internet. It would be a lot better, if the CODEC chip manufacturers
    were like RealTek, and provided a generic installer for just about everything
    they make, on their web site.

    The chip in this case, is a Conexant AC97. I don't know which exact one. The
    Southbridge is SB400, based on the 1002:4370 part. Audio chips like AC'97 ones,
    have a tiny enumeration, and the INF file doesn't seem to contain logic to
    decide whether the right AC'97 chip is present. I assume the actual driver
    file, probes the chip at runtime, and decides whether it is intended to control
    that device or not. While the VEN/DEV/SUBSYS appears unique, I don't think
    any single field there, matches the tiny number available as a read-only
    quantity from the AC'97 chip itself.

    The modem driver for XP, from that 0300107B supporting web page, may
    also work for you. You never know.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Oct 8, 2010

  3. - Bobb -

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 08/10/2010 9:19 AM, - Bobb - wrote:
    > Nephew's PC got infected during summer and I fixed it but just noticed a
    > problem.
    > Speaker Beeps OK, but if you watch video clip - no audio plays.
    > Device Mgr shows these devices with exclamation. I've looked online and have
    > searched Google and see others having same problem,so:
    >
    > Does anyone out there have a Gateway Mx6440 laptop with XP with a AMD cpu ?
    > If so could you post /copy/send me driver for Multimedia Audio Controller
    > and PCI modem ?
    > I see other folks asking the same question at drivers.com, gateway.com - for
    > same result.
    > I think they only have Intel drivers posted and old laptop so they don't
    > care.
    > I've downloaded from Gateway.com - the ones listed do not work.
    > D00377-002-001.exe
    >

    > They download / install then status of install shows FAILED.
    > Any help appreciated.

    I've got that exact same laptop (still using it), and there's no problem
    in getting the latest drivers from Gateway.

    If the install fails, then maybe you have a corrupted installer file?
    Try downloading it again.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Oct 8, 2010
  4. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I'll check that out - thank you

    - Bobb -, Oct 8, 2010
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Yousuf Khan" <> wrote in message
    > On 08/10/2010 9:19 AM, - Bobb - wrote:
    >> Nephew's PC got infected during summer and I fixed it but just noticed a
    >> problem.
    >> Speaker Beeps OK, but if you watch video clip - no audio plays.
    >> Device Mgr shows multimedia and PCI modem with exclamation. No entries
    >> in evetn logs
    >> I've looked online and have
    >> searched Google and see others having same problem,so:
    >>
    >> Does anyone out there have a Gateway Mx6440 laptop with XP with a AMD cpu
    >> ?
    >> If so could you post /copy/send me driver for Multimedia Audio Controller
    >> and PCI modem ?
    >> I see other folks asking the same question at drivers.com, gateway.com -
    >> for
    >> same result.
    >> I think they only have Intel drivers posted and old laptop so they don't
    >> care.
    >> I've downloaded from Gateway.com - the ones listed do not work.
    >> D00377-002-001.exe
    >>

    >> They download / install then status of install shows FAILED.
    >> Any help appreciated.

    > I've got that exact same laptop (still using it), and there's no problem
    > in getting the latest drivers from Gateway.
    >
    > If the install fails, then maybe you have a corrupted installer file? Try
    > downloading it again.
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    I did many times. Fails now the same way it did on Jan 4 2010 ( date I saw
    in the download default destination folder ) when I was asked to help
    orignally. ( PC was useless due to pop spam.)

    Is yours AMD CPU ? ( I saw reference to both Intel / AMD in specs in one of
    the manuals)
    I see on Gateway support site others with same issue. Gateway sent them a
    copy via US mail on cd - still failed so not just me.
    I suspect that you/I have different models perhaps ?? V1 V2 BIOS ...
    something ??
    Maybe another file required in system32 folder ??
    I would think Gateway support would know , but I've never dealt with them to
    know if any good.
    Owner has no backup nor ever bought install CD's - none listed for sale at
    Gateway either.

    Could you go to device mgr and list driver details please ?
    PCI modem too ?

    I did send this to the pc owner this morning:
    Try this when you have the time, then call me.

    Read this email from Gateway PC.
    From the gateway Pc,click on this link
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?ref=nofind&ct=fn&param=gtwupd.exe

    This will go to Gateway website and from that page you can run a program to
    UPDATE gateway software - for older pc's. Maybe it'll work for the audio
    ??? Can't hurt
    When you get there click on the link in the box showing

    gtwupd.exe - Gateway Update, version 3.2.0.8

    then RUN it

    This link might help too.
    http://support.gateway.com/support/srt/allsysteminfo.aspx?cmpid=headerlink
    meanwhile I'll ask online.
    - Bobb -, Oct 8, 2010
  6. - Bobb -

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    On 08/10/2010 1:39 PM, - Bobb - wrote:
    > "Yousuf Khan"<> wrote in message
    >> I've got that exact same laptop (still using it), and there's no problem
    >> in getting the latest drivers from Gateway.
    >>
    >> If the install fails, then maybe you have a corrupted installer file? Try
    >> downloading it again.
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan

    > I did many times. Fails now the same way it did on Jan 4 2010 ( date I saw
    > in the download default destination folder ) when I was asked to help
    > orignally. ( PC was useless due to pop spam.)
    >
    > Is yours AMD CPU ? ( I saw reference to both Intel / AMD in specs in one of
    > the manuals)
    > I see on Gateway support site others with same issue. Gateway sent them a
    > copy via US mail on cd - still failed so not just me.

    Yeah, all of the MX-series were AMD-based. The Intel-based ones had a
    different prefix (NX-series, I believe). That would make some sense as M
    is the second letter of AMD, and N is the second letter of Intel.

    > I suspect that you/I have different models perhaps ?? V1 V2 BIOS ...
    > something ??

    You can even get the latest BIOSes from the Gateway site, if you need
    them, though I suspect that's not really the problem.

    > Maybe another file required in system32 folder ??
    > I would think Gateway support would know , but I've never dealt with them to
    > know if any good.
    > Owner has no backup nor ever bought install CD's - none listed for sale at
    > Gateway either.

    So I assume you installed from a retail Windows XP install CD, rather
    than an OEM?

    The machine had a small re-initialization partition on the internal
    disk, it was no more than a few gigabytes in size. This thing had the
    full OEM Windows XP Home as well as proper drivers for that machine all
    included. If you didn't totally wipe out that disk and start from
    scratch, then you should still be able to boot into that partition and
    begin a reinit of the machine. Warning, it wipes out all of the existing
    data on the machine and starts from scratch -- no option to save anything.

    > Could you go to device mgr and list driver details please ?
    > PCI modem too ?

    The audio hardware seems to be called "Conexent AC-Link Audio". The
    built-in modem seems to be by CXT "AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartICP".

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Oct 9, 2010
  7. - Bobb -

    > On 08/10/2010 1:39 PM, - Bobb - wrote:
    >> "Yousuf Khan"<> wrote in message
    >>> I've got that exact same laptop (still using it), and there's no problem
    >>> in getting the latest drivers from Gateway.
    >>>
    >>> If the install fails, then maybe you have a corrupted installer file?
    >>> Try
    >>> downloading it again.
    >>>
    >>> Yousuf Khan

    >> I did many times. Fails now the same way it did on Jan 4 2010 ( date I
    >> saw
    >> in the download default destination folder ) when I was asked to help
    >> orignally. ( PC was useless due to pop spam.)
    >>
    >> Is yours AMD CPU ? ( I saw reference to both Intel / AMD in specs in one
    >> of
    >> the manuals)
    >> I see on Gateway support site others with same issue. Gateway sent them a
    >> copy via US mail on cd - still failed so not just me.

    > Yeah, all of the MX-series were AMD-based. The Intel-based ones had a
    > different prefix (NX-series, I believe). That would make some sense as M
    > is the second letter of AMD, and N is the second letter of Intel.
    >
    >> I suspect that you/I have different models perhaps ?? V1 V2 BIOS ...
    >> something ??

    > You can even get the latest BIOSes from the Gateway site, if you need
    > them, though I suspect that's not really the problem.

    Agreed. I was just thinking maybe there is a difference .... is yours a 64
    bit processor ?
    and if you download the ones currently at Gateway do they work ?

    >> Maybe another file required in system32 folder ??
    >> I would think Gateway support would know , but I've never dealt with them
    >> know if any good.
    >> Owner has no backup nor ever bought install CD's - none listed for sale
    >> at
    >> Gateway either.

    > So I assume you installed from a retail Windows XP install CD, rather than
    > an OEM?

    No - what's there is the original. It was infected with spamware and I
    didn't know / couldn't find out how to boot hidden parttion on Gateway, so
    I went into Safe Mode and pulled it off a piece at a time, so it's
    "original". I do see the non-DOS partition and didn't mess with it because
    I thought " Hey, it works again" and at the time didn't notice the driver
    errors.

    > The machine had a small re-initialization partition on the internal disk,
    > it was no more than a few gigabytes in size. This thing had the full OEM
    > Windows XP Home as well as proper drivers for that machine all included.
    > If you didn't totally wipe out that disk and start from scratch, then you
    > should still be able to boot into that partition and begin a reinit of the
    > machine. Warning, it wipes out all of the existing data on the machine and
    > starts from scratch -- no option to save anything.

    Yeah, it might work, but then again since the owner never used it, who knows
    if it's not mucked up, so tried to avoid that.
    PC owner used it for downloading lots of crap, so I might do it and end up
    with a doorstop.
    Keep in mind - this isn't mine. I'm trying to 'help out' so want to "do no
    harm".
    Worst case right now is PC works but can;t watch video. If bad restore might
    not do anything.
    So much easier to install the drivers ( I thought a few days ago) if I can
    locate them.

    >> Could you go to device mgr and list driver details please ?
    >> PCI modem too ?

    > The audio hardware seems to be called "Conexent AC-Link Audio".

    That what the driver I get grom Gateway is called. Can you check the Vendor
    ID ? to see if same hardware ?
    ( I don't have s/n here, thinking perhaps his is earlier model motherboard
    ???)
    See previous replies here to check Vendor ID in device mgr - tabs - select
    dropdown.

    > The built-in modem seems to be by CXT "AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with
    > SmartICP".

    Thanks that gives me something to search for.

    > Yousuf Khan

    I'll see him over the weekend and compare notes.
    With those names I'll search for XP drivers and if generic enough perhaps
    another vendor's will work. Thanks again,
    Bobb
    - Bobb -, Oct 9, 2010
  8. - Bobb -

    > On 08/10/2010 1:39 PM, - Bobb - wrote:

    <<snipped>>

    > The audio hardware seems to be called "Conexent AC-Link Audio". The
    > built-in modem seems to be by CXT "AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with
    > SmartICP".
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    With that info I did a Google search and found them at HP.
    I downloaded two SP files from HP and ran and expanded into folders.
    Setup.exe on each failed ( it's Gateway not HP), BUT
    I then had inf files in the folders
    I went back to Dev mgr and selected multimedia device with error and chose
    to MANUALLY add a driver, I browsed to the new folder , picked the inf file
    , then got prompted a few more times for " where is " this file". I toggled
    back and forth between the gateway download folder and the hp download
    folder and .....I got an installation box to appear ... scripts ran ... I
    then saw 8 ( I think) Multimedia "unknown devices" [in the background I
    still had the dev mgr screen visible] and one by one they disappeared until
    .... ta da
    Multimedia is NOW a device and has audio playback, video , drivers loaded
    etc
    Works fine.
    He's happy . I'm happy.( to have them happy )
    Thank you
    So secret was Google for device name.
    and that exact name I didn't have previously.
    Choose the HP.com version as opposed to www,questionablesite.com
    download it ( SP numbered file)
    expand it into its own folder
    right click on Unknown device in Device mgr
    manually choose device type
    Default is to show known matches
    Select SHOW ALL and you'll see the device name
    Conexent AC-Link Audio in this case.
    Highlight it and point to that new folder for software.
    IF it needs something else, point it to the previous/bad Gateway file
    download.
    and toggle between those 2 directories until all files located.
    - Bobb -, Oct 9, 2010
  9. - Bobb -

    YKhan Guest

    On Oct 9, 1:14 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > Multimedia is NOW a device and has audio playback, video , drivers loaded
    > etc
    > Works fine.
    > He's happy . I'm happy.( to have them happy )
    > Thank you
    > So secret was Google for device name.
    > and that exact name I didn't have previously.
    > Choose the HP.com version as opposed to www,questionablesite.com
    > download it ( SP numbered file)
    > expand it into its own folder
    > right click on Unknown device in Device mgr
    > manually choose device type
    > Default is to show known matches
    > Select SHOW ALL and you'll see the device name
    > Conexent AC-Link Audio in this case.
    > Highlight it and point to that new folder for software.
    > IF it needs something else, point it to the previous/bad Gateway file
    > download.
    > and toggle between those 2 directories until all files located.

    Good, it's hard being the family's IT guy, isn't it?

    Yousuf Khan
    YKhan, Oct 9, 2010