gateway MD2614u can't play audio. need correct drivers?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by EasyHardLivin, May 1, 2009.

  1. Well, I have a gateway MD2614u notebook. I had everything working on
    vista 64 bit premium sp1, but it had a lousy performance. I since went
    to xp 64 bit. i got everything to work, except the sound ! I have
    downloaded the apparent drivers from gateway, and even tried conexant's
    website. Even microsoft, but they want 60.00 to fix this issue. I said I
    can buy another sound card for that price! I am positive it's a driver
    issue. Apparently, after 10 minutes talking to a gateway level 2
    technician, they told me I have a sound card that's integrated with the
    mother board. It's a conexant audio 4.48. I believe its a HD or
    something as well. I can install the drivers fine, and you would think
    everything would be fine, but there is no sound. The sound in control
    panel is all greyed out. There is no question marks or anything in
    device manager. Here are the specs if this might help with anything.

    http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668225.php#techspecs

    I don't like to ask questions without trying to get the solution first.
    I have tried and tried, so any help I would appreciate. And yes, I
    already have contacted gateway tech support telling them that I couldn't
    get it to work. They say nothing really. They just tell me to
    "reinstall" vista. Gra.....

    Any suggestions?

    --
    EasyHardLivin
    EasyHardLivin's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95278.htm

    http://forums.techarena.in

    EasyHardLivin, May 1, 2009

  2. EasyHardLivin

    motown01 Guest

    motown01, Dec 20, 2009

  3. From the company that markets the laptop: Gateway, which I think has
    been bought out by Acer.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 20, 2009
  4. EasyHardLivin

    motown01 Guest

    motown01, Dec 20, 2009
  5. My take on this is that you didn't even try!

    I went to www.gateway.com selected Support and the Drivers & Downloads
    searched for the MD26 series laptops and found there are lots of Windows
    XP drivers and downloads @
    http://support.gateway.com/support/...wse&platform=10022&model=12267&os=10406&type=

    The other thing is you indicate your are using Windows XP. 32-bit?
    Then you have stumbled into the wrong forum because this one is for
    64-bit Windows.

    So, don't tell me Gateway "doesn't provide XP drivers" because if I
    could find them you could too! And they are "not hard to find" if you
    just take a little time to look!

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 20, 2009
  6. EasyHardLivin

    motown01 Guest

    Hmm. I don't see any sound drivers on this site. I'm using XP 64-bit
    and I have found sound drivers for the laptop but the only thing tha
    doesn't work is the internal microphone. I've tried solving thi
    myself, before turning to a message board where I hoped to find helpfu
    people - instead I found arrogance and a condescending attitude.

    Sorry for your trouble

    --
    motown0
    motown01's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/165758.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i

    motown01, Dec 21, 2009
  7. EasyHardLivin

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Motown01:
    Since you're running XP x64 you will find a shortage of drivers
    since driver development was slow and came to a stop when Vista came out. A
    possible source for some of the older drivers may be planetamd64.com, which
    I used a great deal when running XP x64. Unfortunately there are too many
    people that jump to the conclusion that the operating system being used is
    32-bit unless listed otherwise. It's best if when posting list the operating
    system or include it in a signature. Have a great holiday season.

    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Professional x64, Win-7 Enterprise x64, MS Office 2010 beta x64.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 21, 2009
  8. It would have been much easier to assist you if you have been more
    inclined to divulge pertinent information. Most people posting are not
    clairvoyant having the ability to guess what you're talking about.

    As for Conexant sound drivers, especially for 64-bit Windows, that is a
    huge problem. There are lots of people looking for 64-bit Conexant
    sound drivers.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 21, 2009
  9. EasyHardLivin

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    These french guys:
    http://www.station-drivers.com/page/conexant.htm
    have an interesting collection of drivers for "Conexant" audio, including
    64-bit ones.
    Success probability depends on what specific Conexant chipset is involved.
    The Conexant name applies to different incopmpatible chipsets under the same
    name.
    It doesn't hurt to try.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 21, 2009
  10. Good find, Carlos. Maybe MoTown01 can find something there.

    Bobby Johnson, Dec 21, 2009
  11. EasyHardLivin

    Vjekoslav Guest

    You can use the terabyte image for dos and do this, the program is free for
    1 month you can download it from terabyte site.

    Vjekoslav, Dec 21, 2009
  12. EasyHardLivin

    Vjekoslav Guest

    hey, did you enable that microfone in the driver interface/control
    panel/sound and then you check the box with "mic"
    or just doubleclick icon at the bottom of your screen

    Vjekoslav, Dec 21, 2009
  13. EasyHardLivin

    Vjekoslav Guest

    this one is for the previous post, moving C:\to another drive

    Sorry

    Vjekoslav, Dec 21, 2009
  14. EasyHardLivin

    Aje Guest

    Hello, I have spent hours trying to get sound to work on XP Pro 32 bi
    on a customers Gateway MD2614u. I managed to find XP Drivers fo
    Wireless, Network, Video, just need sound and SD Card Reader driver.
    Gateway support is pretty useless. So I considered trying Windows 7 bu
    Gateway doesn't offer Wireless drivers for Win7! So I'd rather stic
    with XP if anyone can help provide their sound driver? My XP alread
    has SP3 installed so I'm not sure about the UAA now. Maybe Collapse ca
    upload his sound driver somewhere for us? I would be glad to back u
    all the other drivers and share them with others. I cannot believe ho
    much of a pain Gateway's have become over the years compared to my eas
    Dell's

    --
    Aj
    Aje's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/223732.ht

    Aje, May 23, 2010
  15. This group is for 64-bit Windows operating systems, not 32-bit.

    You need to go to the Gateway website for drivers for their systems or
    contact the Gateway Tech Support.

    Without knowing the specifications of the laptop it is virtually
    impossible to know what the audio hardware is and what drivers are
    appropriate for it.

    Bobby Johnson, May 23, 2010
  16. EasyHardLivin

    Aje Guest

    I realize that, but I found this post by searching google for XP soun
    driver for gateway MD2614u. There are very few links that came up, so
    had hopes someone in this forum may have the ability to help resolv
    this issue. I could search the Win 32 forum, but probably won't find
    thread about this particular gateway MD2614u model. And perhaps, wher
    the 64 bit solution is, may also be a 32 bit solution or driver. Eithe
    way, this is a very frustrating and time consuming issue, and goo
    reason never to buy a Gateway! Believe me, I have tried their site
    tried emailing their support about 10 times back and forth and the
    still don't get it. They state my SNID number is not valid, yet ther
    are no other numbers on this unit that I can find. They refuse to hel
    me based on the model number...totally useless

    Aje, May 23, 2010
  17. EasyHardLivin

    collapse Guest

    Bobby Johnson;4955141 Wrote:
    > This group is for 64-bit Windows operating systems, not 32-bit.
    >
    > You need to go to the Gateway website for drivers for their systems or
    > contact the Gateway Tech Support.
    >
    > Without knowing the specifications of the laptop it is virtually
    > impossible to know what the audio hardware is and what drivers are
    > appropriate for it.
    >

    > On 2010-05-23 14:41, Aje wrote:
    > > Hello, I have spent hours trying to get sound to work on XP Pro 3

    > bit
    > > on a customers Gateway MD2614u. I managed to find XP Drivers for
    > > Wireless, Network, Video, just need sound and SD Card Reader driver.
    > > Gateway support is pretty useless. So I considered trying Windows

    > but
    > > Gateway doesn't offer Wireless drivers for Win7! So I'd rather stick
    > > with XP if anyone can help provide their sound driver? My XP already
    > > has SP3 installed so I'm not sure about the UAA now. Maybe Collaps

    > can
    > > upload his sound driver somewhere for us? I would be glad to back up
    > > all the other drivers and share them with others. I cannot believ

    > how
    > > much of a pain Gateway's have become over the years compared to m

    > easy
    > > Dell's!

    Wow Bobby, you should take that stick out. Even though this might b
    under 64 bit O/S, this particular subject is dealing with the Gateway M
    series. Since XP does have a 64-bit version, I'm sure we are covered
    And Gateway has no support for XP on this model. I also came across thi
    thread on a Google search as well. So with all respect BJ, help or don'
    post Slick. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solutio

    --
    collaps
    collapse's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/172856.ht

    collapse, May 23, 2010
  18. I guess you have a significant problem comprehending "64bit"? If
    everyone with anything slightly related to 64-bit, like you state below,
    posted here then the volume of this group would be monstrous and there
    would be total chaos.

    Your argument doesn't wash. Just because "XP does have a 64bit version"
    does not, by any stretch of the imagination, imply that any post about
    any version of XP is related to the intent of the title of this group!

    It's people with attitudes like yours that create the problem; people
    who think it's alright to post a question just anywhere they want -
    after all it is about computers even if it isn't related to the subject!

    Bobby Johnson, May 24, 2010
  19. EasyHardLivin

    Aje Guest

    FINALLY had a friend find a working sound driver for me here
    http://tinyurl.com/mgsx7

    or

    http://www.x-drivers.com/catalog/drivers/sound_cards/companies/conexant/models/hd_audio/9102.htm

    Only thing I can't find the driver for is the modem but I won't worr
    about that as I doubt they will ever use it

    Aje, May 26, 2010
  20. EasyHardLivin

    collapse Guest

    Bobby Johnson;4955930 Wrote:
    > I guess you have a significant problem comprehending "64bit"? If
    > everyone with anything slightly related to 64-bit, like you state
    > below,
    > posted here then the volume of this group would be monstrous and there
    > would be total chaos.
    >
    > Your argument doesn't wash. Just because "XP does have a 64bit
    > version"
    > does not, by any stretch of the imagination, imply that any post about
    > any version of XP is related to the intent of the title of this group!
    >
    > It's people with attitudes like yours that create the problem; people
    > who think it's alright to post a question just anywhere they want -
    > after all it is about computers even if it isn't related to the subject!

    I knew a Bobby Johnson in school. You must be him, he was an idiot too

    --
    collapse
    collapse's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/172856.htm

    collapse, May 26, 2010