Gateway M1300 TabletPC & Linksys WRT54G: WLAN Connection Drops

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by David Lipetz, Aug 26, 2004.

  1. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    I am cross posting this to both the Tablet PC and Wireless newsgroups - not
    sure which is most appropriate.

    My Gateway M1300 connects via wireless to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router.
    I've found that the connection will drop, all of the sudden, and the router
    can not be found. Then after a few minutes, or seconds, it will re-establish
    a connection. Sometimes it won't and I have to reboot the router.

    Now, this has occurred with and without SP2 installed. Prior to implementing
    the WRT54G, I had a 1st gen Linksys wireless router (BEF11W???) which also
    displayed the same behavior. In fact, that's why I replaced it with the
    WRT54G - thought it was a defective router.

    Interestingly, my Dell laptop (Win2K, using a Microsoft wireless 802.11 B/G
    PC card) also has the same behavior, whether it was with the old or new
    Linksys router. But I rarely use the Dell at home, so my focus is on the
    M1300.

    I think that a recent Windows update, or some common software to both the
    Dell and the Gateway, or maybe even a router configuration issue, may be the
    root of the problem.

    I seem to recall reading somewhere that a Windows hotfix caused a similar
    issue.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,
    David
    David Lipetz, Aug 26, 2004

  2. David Lipetz

    cadman Guest

    You might try changing the channels. Move away from the default 6. Other
    devices such as cordless phones can cause problems like you describe. I've
    had these problems at home with tablet pc, wireless laptop, and pda both
    adhoc and infrastructure mode. I switched channels to 1 and got steady
    connections. I have 4 cordless phones located throughout the house, working
    from one base.

    cadman, Aug 26, 2004

  3. David Lipetz

    David Lipetz Guest

    Thanks. Already did that upgrade.

    After reading around a bit, I suspect that it may be my 2.4GHz cordless
    telephone that may be causing the drops. The base station for the phone is
    in the same room as the WAP. Will change the channel on the WAP to see if
    that helps.

    "WNewquay" <> wrote in message
    > Hi David,
    >
    > Since the connections are dropped with two different clients, I would
    > suggest that you check on the Linksys site for firmware updates for the

    WRTG

    David Lipetz, Aug 26, 2004