gateway laptop?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dahlirious, Oct 22, 2003.

  1. Dahlirious

    Dahlirious Guest

    Hi:

    I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
    installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and it
    seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot access
    the internet.

    I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know that
    the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
    showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser I am
    not connected.

    I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
    that I don't have.

    Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and why
    my touchpad isn't working???

    Thanks for the help.
    Timothy
    Dahlirious, Oct 22, 2003

  2. Dahlirious

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Dahlirious" <khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com> wrote in

    > I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know
    > that the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv"
    > hook-ups showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open
    > my browser I am not connected.

    Open a command prompt (start, run, cmd) and type:
    ipconfig

    You should see something similar to this:
    Z:\>ipconfig

    Windows 2000 IP Configuration

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : my.house

    Your IP address, subnet mask, DNS suffix, and default gateway will more
    than likely be different. Can you ping a website? Have you made sure
    that IE is set to use a LAN connection and not a modem?

    > Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection
    > and why my touchpad isn't working???

    Does Device Manager see the thing but not have drivers for it, or is it
    not listed at all?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 22, 2003

  3. >From: "Dahlirious" khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer

    >Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 05:01:12 GMT

    >Hi:
    >
    >I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
    >installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and it
    >seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot access
    >the internet.
    >
    >I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know that
    >the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
    >showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser I am
    >not connected.
    >
    >I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
    >that I don't have.
    >
    >Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and why
    >my touchpad isn't working???
    >
    >Thanks for the help.
    >Timothy

    I understand the touchpad is not working. Are you using a USB mouse as a
    workaround?

    try this:
    Gateway Solo 2500 Touchpad Driver 2.3a (6/98)
    http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2110-890928.html

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.
    caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 22, 2003
  4. Dahlirious

    Constantine Guest

    "Dahlirious" <khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
    > installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and

    it
    > seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot

    access
    > the internet.
    >
    > I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know

    that
    > the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
    > showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser I

    am
    > not connected.
    >
    > I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
    > that I don't have.
    >
    > Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and

    why
    > my touchpad isn't working???
    >
    > Thanks for the help.
    > Timothy

    Try Gateway's website. I think that they have drivers for Windows 2000. I
    had similar problems with a 9300 model. They also work with Windows XP.

    Friendly, Kostas.
    Constantine, Oct 22, 2003
  5. Dahlirious

    Dahlirious Guest

    "Constantine" <> wrote in message

    > "Dahlirious" <khoi@"remove"timothydahl.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I have just been given a Gateway Solo 2500 laptop that has Windows 2000
    > > installed. The original Gateway OS disc wasn't used for the install and

    > it
    > > seems that drivers are missing that power my touchpad. I also cannot

    > access
    > > the internet.
    > >
    > > I thought that Windows 2000 should detect the touchpad and I also know

    > that
    > > the network card has the proper drivers and I can see the "tv" hook-ups
    > > showing that my network cable is plugged in, but when I open my browser

    > am
    > > not connected.
    > >
    > > I've checked out the Gateway site and I can't seem to locate any drivers
    > > that I don't have.
    > >
    > > Any other suggestions as to why I don't have an internet connection and

    > why
    > > my touchpad isn't working???
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help.
    > > Timothy
    > >

    > Try Gateway's website. I think that they have drivers for Windows 2000. I
    > had similar problems with a 9300 model. They also work with Windows XP.
    >
    > Friendly, Kostas.

    Thanks for all the great help
    Dahlirious, Oct 24, 2003