    What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?

    TIA

    Terry
    TG, Sep 16, 2007

  2. TG

    meerkat Guest

    "TG" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    >install the keyboard driver.
    >
    > Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to
    > keep installing disk until it works.
    >
    > What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?

    Sounds like you need another K/board, which you might be able
    to obtain as a spare part on E-bay.
    You could however check your Event Viewer to see if you have
    any software related problems/errors showing up.
    bw..
    meerkat, Sep 16, 2007

  3. TG

    meerkat Guest

    "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >>disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and
    >>re
    >>install the keyboard driver.
    >>
    >>Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to
    >>keep
    >>installing disk until it works.
    >>
    >> What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    >>Terry
    >>

    > What's a new keyboard, $10.00?

    Might be more for a laptop one W.
    meerkat, Sep 16, 2007
  4. TG

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:

    >I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    >install the keyboard driver.
    >
    >Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to keep
    >installing disk until it works.
    >
    > What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >
    >TIA
    >

    >Terry

    What's a new keyboard, $10.00?
    who'sthat, Sep 16, 2007
  5. who'sthat wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >>disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    >>install the keyboard driver.
    >>
    >>Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to keep
    >>installing disk until it works.
    >>
    >> What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    >>Terry
    >>

    > What's a new keyboard, $10.00?

    Bought one for a laptop, lately? Some people use laptops portably.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2007
  6. TG

    meerkat Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > who'sthat wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >>>disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and
    >>>re
    >>>install the keyboard driver.
    >>>
    >>>Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to
    >>>keep
    >>>installing disk until it works.
    >>>
    >>> What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>>Terry
    >>>

    >> What's a new keyboard, $10.00?

    > Bought one for a laptop, lately? Some people use laptops portably.

    Hiya big B.
    And they carry them around as well <g>.
    meerkat, Sep 16, 2007
  7. On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:39:44 +0000, meerkat wrote:

    > "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >>>disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and
    >>>re
    >>>install the keyboard driver.
    >>>
    >>>Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to
    >>>keep
    >>>installing disk until it works.
    >>>
    >>> What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>>Terry
    >>>

    >> What's a new keyboard, $10.00?
    >>

    > Might be more for a laptop one W.

    20-30 bucks plus or minus a few. Replaced a couple so far.
    Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater, Sep 16, 2007
  8. TG

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 16:07:45 -0400, Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:39:44 +0000, meerkat wrote:
    >

    >> "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message

    >>> What's a new keyboard, $10.00?
    >>>

    >> Might be more for a laptop one W.

    >20-30 bucks plus or minus a few. Replaced a couple so far.

    I'd look for one at a yard sale or pawn shop just to see if that's the
    problem or take one home from work for one night. I think we've got 3
    in the cellar (along with a couple of 14.4 modems)
    who'sthat, Sep 16, 2007
  9. TG

    Jerry G. Guest

    Most likely your keyboard is failing. You can order a new keyboard from
    the Gateway support, or maybe find a used one on eBay. If you get used
    one, there may be other faults. My preference is for a new one.

    When you install the new keyboard, if there are still any faults, this
    means that the fault is in the motherboard. You will not know until you
    can try a known working keyboard.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Sep 16, 2007
  10. meerkat wrote:

    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> who'sthat wrote:

    >>> What's a new keyboard, $10.00?

    >> Bought one for a laptop, lately? Some people use laptops portably.
    >>

    > Hiya big B.
    > And they carry them around as well <g>.

    Which makes it kind of cumbersome to use one of those $10 keyboards with
    it. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2007
  11. TG

    who'sthat Guest

    On 16 Sep 2007 20:57:53 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >meerkat wrote:
    >>
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Bought one for a laptop, lately? Some people use laptops portably.
    >>>

    >> Hiya big B.
    >> And they carry them around as well <g>.

    >Which makes it kind of cumbersome to use one of those $10 keyboards with
    >it. :)

    My wife has a fold up one for her palm, but it wasn't $10.00
    who'sthat, Sep 16, 2007
  12. TG

    who'sthat Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:

    >I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    >install the keyboard driver.
    >
    >Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to keep
    >installing disk until it works.
    >
    > What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >
    >TIA
    >

    >Terry

    If you know an old geek he may have a connector that will let you plug
    it into a different port. I have one laying around from years ago...no
    idea why I still have it.
    who'sthat, Sep 16, 2007
  13. who'sthat wrote:
    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:
    >
    >>I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >>disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    >>install the keyboard driver.
    >>
    >>Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to keep
    >>installing disk until it works.
    >>
    >> What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    >>Terry
    >>

    > If you know an old geek he may have a connector that will let you plug
    > it into a different port. I have one laying around from years ago...no
    > idea why I still have it.

    What different port would that be for his laptop's keyboard?

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 16, 2007
  14. TG

    who'sthat Guest

    On 16 Sep 2007 22:25:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >who'sthat wrote:
    >> On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:27:09 -0700, "TG" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    >>>disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    >>>install the keyboard driver.
    >>>
    >>>Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to keep
    >>>installing disk until it works.
    >>>
    >>> What do I have to do to stop this nonsense?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>

    >>>Terry
    >>>

    >> If you know an old geek he may have a connector that will let you plug
    >> it into a different port. I have one laying around from years ago...no
    >> idea why I still have it.

    >What different port would that be for his laptop's keyboard?

    Isn't there a port where you can plug in a keyboard?
    who'sthat, Sep 17, 2007
  15. TG

    chuckcar Guest

    Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:39:44 +0000, meerkat wrote:
    >

    >> "who'sthat" <who'sthat@don'tknow.com> wrote in message

    >>> What's a new keyboard, $10.00?
    >>>

    >> Might be more for a laptop one W.

    > 20-30 bucks plus or minus a few. Replaced a couple so far.

    Plus labour...

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 17, 2007
  16. TG

    chuckcar Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in

    > Most likely your keyboard is failing. You can order a new keyboard
    > from the Gateway support, or maybe find a used one on eBay. If you get
    > used one, there may be other faults. My preference is for a new one.
    >
    > When you install the new keyboard, if there are still any faults, this
    > means that the fault is in the motherboard. You will not know until
    > you can try a known working keyboard.

    You're suggesting that a user of unknown technical ability/training
    replace a laptop keyboard? *bad* idea. It needs to be taken in for
    service period end of story.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 17, 2007
  17. TG

    nobody > Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > "Jerry G." <> wrote in
    >
    >> Most likely your keyboard is failing. You can order a new keyboard
    >> from the Gateway support, or maybe find a used one on eBay. If you get
    >> used one, there may be other faults. My preference is for a new one.
    >>
    >> When you install the new keyboard, if there are still any faults, this
    >> means that the fault is in the motherboard. You will not know until
    >> you can try a known working keyboard.
    >>

    > You're suggesting that a user of unknown technical ability/training
    > replace a laptop keyboard? *bad* idea. It needs to be taken in for
    > service period end of story.

    Even those with known technical ability/training can be stymied by
    laptop assembly/disassembly. Six of us had no luck removing a HD from a
    450 Panasonic ToughBook (not the Tank). We had to take it to a shop.
    nobody >, Sep 17, 2007
  18. who'sthat wrote:

    > On 16 Sep 2007 22:25:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>who'sthat wrote:

    >>> If you know an old geek he may have a connector that will let
    >>> you plug it into a different port. I have one laying around
    >>> from years ago...no idea why I still have it.

    >>What different port would that be for his laptop's keyboard?

    > Isn't there a port where you can plug in a keyboard?

    Yeah. It's called "USB". Now where do you get the impression
    that he wants *an external keyboard*?

    --
    Blinky
    http://improve-usenet.org <------------- New Site Aug 28
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 17, 2007
  19. TG wrote:

    > I keep having to reinstall the keyboard drivers. The w,q,a,s, 2,3,
    > disappear very often. I then have to use the restoration disk and re
    > install the keyboard driver.
    >
    > Some times it works and some times it doesn't, I generally have to keep
    > installing disk until it works.

    When you attach a external keyboard (usb or ps/2 won't matter with a
    laptop), you may rule out operating system corruption. Keyboard "drivers"
    are most probably a non-issue, since they only supply configuration
    settings for extra keys.
    Your operating system may be corrupted by a (slightly malfunctioning)
    keyloggger or trojans/viruses.
    You should be able to uninstall the keyboard "drivers" and still have basic
    functions with either internal or external keyboard.
    Next try, to rule out mechanical failure, is to test your keyboard simply in
    bios setup - you may only have password fields to enter letters, and you'll
    see just asterisks if any - or with a live cd like knoppix.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Sep 17, 2007
  20. TG

    who'sthat Guest

    On 17 Sep 2007 08:31:40 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >who'sthat wrote:
    >
    >> On 16 Sep 2007 22:25:36 GMT, Blinky the Shark
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>What different port would that be for his laptop's keyboard?

    >> Isn't there a port where you can plug in a keyboard?

    >Yeah. It's called "USB". Now where do you get the impression
    >that he wants *an external keyboard*?

    If it worked it would tell him where the problem is.
    who'sthat, Sep 17, 2007