    Gatway restore dvd would not work properly after partitioning? And
    does it have to go on the first partition, or can I put it on the
    second? thanks

    lbbss, Mar 2, 2008

  2. lbbss

    philo Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a gateway computer with vista on it. I am not crazy about
    > Vista. I wanted to format and partition my system. Then put xp on
    > one, and vista on the other. Do you see any reason why the vista
    > Gatway restore dvd would not work properly after partitioning? And
    > does it have to go on the first partition, or can I put it on the
    > second? thanks

    If you wipe your drive and install XP...
    if you use the recovery disk it will probably just wipe out XP...

    So decide which OS you want and use only that one

    philo, Mar 2, 2008

  3. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    even if I partition and recovery vista on the first partition? Then
    install xp on the second? Or are you saying that recovery dvd will re
    partition the drive back to one drive?

    lbbss, Mar 2, 2008
  4. lbbss

    PeeCee Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    >I have a gateway computer with vista on it. I am not crazy about
    > Vista. I wanted to format and partition my system. Then put xp on
    > one, and vista on the other. Do you see any reason why the vista
    > Gatway restore dvd would not work properly after partitioning? And
    > does it have to go on the first partition, or can I put it on the
    > second? thanks

    Ibbss

    What happens to your partitions when you run the Gateway restore DVD depends
    very much on wether Gateway has set the DVD up to manage the Partition table
    or just by restoring an image to the first partition.

    As there is no restrictions on the number of times you can run the restore
    DVD why not give it a go and see what happens.

    It will take time of course and as allways 'backup your data first'

    Paul.

    PeeCee, Mar 2, 2008
  5. lbbss

    chuckcar Guest

    lbbss <> wrote in

    > I have a gateway computer with vista on it. I am not crazy about
    > Vista. I wanted to format and partition my system. Then put xp on
    > one, and vista on the other. Do you see any reason why the vista
    > Gatway restore dvd would not work properly after partitioning? And
    > does it have to go on the first partition, or can I put it on the
    > second? thanks

    Be warned. There *are* restore CD's that don't actually have XP (or
    whatever) on them, they just use the secondary drive to reinstall it
    onto the primary. In other words they use what's on D: to create C: and
    if neither exists, you've lost windows permanently. Make *sure* you have
    a *full* install CD before you try anything.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 2, 2008

    Oxford Systems, Mar 2, 2008
  7. "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > I have a gateway computer with vista on it. I am not crazy about
    > Vista. I wanted to format and partition my system. Then put xp on
    > one, and vista on the other.

    Why not just create a new partition on the drive, install XP on the new
    partition and use a free utility like EasyBCD to make the OS choice
    selection for Vista available at boot? Much easier than wiping and starting
    from scratch.

    Oxford Systems, Mar 2, 2008
  8. lbbss

    philo Guest

    "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > even if I partition and recovery vista on the first partition? Then
    > install xp on the second? Or are you saying that recovery dvd will re
    > partition the drive back to one drive?

    Better check the machine's documentation...
    recovery methods vary.

    philo, Mar 2, 2008
  9. lbbss

    lbbss Guest

    are referring to using a program like partition magic? it is not a a
    free program.

    lbbss, Mar 2, 2008
  10. lbbss

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya lbbss.

    In <> you wrote:

    > are referring to using a program like partition magic? it is not a a
    > free program.

    Yes, it is not a free program.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Mar 2, 2008
  11. "lbbss" <> wrote in message
    > are referring to using a program like partition magic? it is not a a
    > free program.

    You don't need Partition Magic to create a new partition in either Vista or
    XP. You can create a new partition from the disk management console.
    Besides, Partition Magic and Vista do not get along. At all.

    In Vista, open help and search for partitions. Or Google the subject. What
    you need to know is there. Also Google "Vista XP dual boot" for some how to
    guides.

    Oxford Systems, Mar 2, 2008
  12. "Ponder" <> wrote in message
    > Hiya lbbss.
    >
    > In <> you
    > wrote:
    >
    >> are referring to using a program like partition magic? it is not a a
    >> free program.

    > Yes, it is not a free program.

    And it doesn't work with Vista and you don't need it besides. Did you have
    some point?

    Oxford Systems, Mar 2, 2008