    use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
    Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
    and as fast?
    JohnCM, Nov 12, 2004

  2. JohnCM

    Unk Guest

    On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, (JohnCM) wrote:

    >I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
    >20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
    >have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
    >external drive.
    >But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
    >use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
    >Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
    >and as fast?

    Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
    Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure the HD
    jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)

    Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be sure to
    select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove your
    old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD jumpers
    are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).

    Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140 Gig.
    Unk, Nov 12, 2004

  3. JohnCM

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, (JohnCM) wrote:
    >
    >>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
    >>20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
    >>have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
    >>external drive.
    >>But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
    >>use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
    >>Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
    >>and as fast?

    > Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
    > Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure
    > the HD
    > jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)
    >
    > Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be
    > sure to
    > select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove
    > your
    > old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD
    > jumpers
    > are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).
    >
    > Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140
    > Gig.

    And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue screen
    with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to boot from
    it.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 12, 2004
  4. JohnCM

    PhilÅ Guest

    Dan, you are on the money.. This will probably happen and is a pain in the
    arse to sort out..

    Have a look at a program called XXCLONE (Shareware) do a google for it,
    works for me. I suspect I should have the same blue screen, but didn't!!!

    PhilÅ, Nov 12, 2004
  5. JohnCM

    philo Guest

    "JohnCM" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
    > 20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
    > have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
    > external drive.
    > But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
    > use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
    > Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
    > and as fast?

    your idea should work fine
    there is no difference between an internal harddrive
    and the external other than the case itself and the USB connection
    philo, Nov 12, 2004
  6. JohnCM

    Dan Evans Guest

    "PhilÅ" <> wrote in message
    > Dan, you are on the money.. This will probably happen and is a pain in the
    > arse to sort out..
    >
    > Have a look at a program called XXCLONE (Shareware) do a google for it,
    > works for me. I suspect I should have the same blue screen, but didn't!!!

    Thanks, I'll check that out - probably save me some grief further down the
    line.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 12, 2004
  7. JohnCM

    Unk Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:57:26 +0100, "Dan Evans"
    <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >> On 11 Nov 2004 20:44:08 -0800, (JohnCM) wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a Gateway PC that I got in 2000, I have almost filled up the
    >>>20GB hard drive, but since I have a Flex-ATX case, I don't think I
    >>>have room to add another hard drive, which means I'd have to go for an
    >>>external drive.
    >>>But I'm wondering, if I take my floppy disk drive out (which I NEVER
    >>>use anymore), can I put an internal hard drive in it's place?
    >>>Internal HD's are somewhat cheaper, but is an external more reliable
    >>>and as fast?

    >> Get a program called Norton Ghost and a new 160 Gig Hard drive.
    >> Now open your case and substitute the new HD for your CD-Rom. Make sure
    >> the HD
    >> jumpers are set the same as the CD. (Probably set as Slave)
    >>
    >> Now run Ghost and ghost your 20 Gig drive to the new 160 Gig drive. Be
    >> sure to
    >> select the "Forensic Copy" mode. When done, reconnect the CD-Rom, remove
    >> your
    >> old drive and install the new one in it's place. Make sure the new HD
    >> jumpers
    >> are set the same as the old drive. (Probably set as Master).
    >>
    >> Turn it on, and everything is as it was, except you now have an extra 140
    >> Gig.

    >And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue screen
    >with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to boot from
    >it.
    >
    >Dan

    What nonsense. I have Ghosted half a dozen drives on XP systems this week alone.

    This 160 Gig XP system drive has a Ghosted 120 Gig backup drive sitting in the
    drawer and it boots just fine.
    Unk, Nov 12, 2004
  8. JohnCM

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:57:26 +0100, "Dan Evans"
    > <> wrote:

    >>And because the IDE drivers are different for the new drive, you blue
    >>screen
    >>with "INNACCESABLE_BOOT_DEVICE", even though you have managed to boot from
    >>it.

    > What nonsense. I have Ghosted half a dozen drives on XP systems this week
    > alone.

    If the new drive uses the same drivers as the old, of course it'll be fine,
    but when they use different drivers, you have problems

    > This 160 Gig XP system drive has a Ghosted 120 Gig backup drive sitting in
    > the
    > drawer and it boots just fine.

    Same manufacturer/production period?

    Dan