GARY FONG LOVES THE 20D !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Annika1980, Jul 27, 2007.

  1. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Jul 27, 2007

  2. "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    > Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    > fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    > Lightsphere.

    Ew. Yuck. Ugly ugly bokeh. Sheesh, guy, do NOT stop that lens down that far.
    Bad boy, Bret.

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507

    That's better.

    > Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    > camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    You really do overwork that cat. I hope he gets lots of fish.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 27, 2007

  3. Annika1980

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jul 27, 2:43 pm, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    > fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    > Lightsphere.

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >
    > Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    > camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    Lovely colour and Mr Divs looks like a nice cat (yes I am a cat
    person)

    I think Gary Fong loves your money more than your 20D though. lol

    I have never bothered spending the coin on a LS, as I get the same
    results from a 20 cent bit of tracing paper.

    PixelPix, Jul 27, 2007
  4. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Jul 27, 12:43 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    > fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    > Lightsphere.

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >
    > Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    > camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    I found the color to be very natural. What I particularly like is the
    lovely highlights on Mr. Divs. This lens you've used is very nice for
    portraits. I found the bokeh to be very pleasing. My choice is this
    one:
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    Helen

    , Jul 27, 2007
  5. Annika1980

    Pete D Guest

    > "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    >> Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    >> fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    >> Lightsphere.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886503/original

    > Ew. Yuck. Ugly ugly bokeh. Sheesh, guy, do NOT stop that lens down that
    > far. Bad boy, Bret.
    >
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507

    > That's better.
    >
    >> Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    >> camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    > You really do overwork that cat. I hope he gets lots of fish.
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    > Tokyo, Japan

    I actually liked the sparkly bokeh in the first one, but then I do like
    shiny things. ;-)

    Pete D, Jul 27, 2007
  6. Annika1980

    Mr.T Guest

    "PixelPix" <> wrote in message
    > I think Gary Fong loves your money more than your 20D though. lol
    >
    > I have never bothered spending the coin on a LS, as I get the same
    > results from a 20 cent bit of tracing paper.

    Why spend 20 cents, an old white grocery bag will do the job for nothing :)

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jul 27, 2007
  7. Annika1980

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jul 27, 8:21 pm, "Mr.T" <MrT@home> wrote:
    > "PixelPix" <> wrote in message

    > > I think Gary Fong loves your money more than your 20D though. lol

    > > I have never bothered spending the coin on a LS, as I get the same
    > > results from a 20 cent bit of tracing paper.

    > Why spend 20 cents, an old white grocery bag will do the job for nothing :)
    >
    > MrT.

    Ah.... but I have gone green and use re-usable shopping bags and you
    tend to lose too many stops through those canvas suckers. ;-)

    PixelPix, Jul 27, 2007
  8. Annika1980

    Mr.T Guest

    "PixelPix" <> wrote in message
    > > > I think Gary Fong loves your money more than your 20D though. lol

    > > > I have never bothered spending the coin on a LS, as I get the same
    > > > results from a 20 cent bit of tracing paper.

    > > Why spend 20 cents, an old white grocery bag will do the job for nothing

    :)

    > Ah.... but I have gone green and use re-usable shopping bags and you
    > tend to lose too many stops through those canvas suckers. ;-)

    I just knew someone would say that :)
    But it's not a problem for now at least, while you can still get more
    plastic ones at any supermarket.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jul 27, 2007
  9. "Pete D" <> wrote:
    > "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote:
    >> "Annika1980" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886503/original

    >> Ew. Yuck. Ugly ugly bokeh. Sheesh, guy, do NOT stop that lens down that
    >> far. Bad boy, Bret.
    >>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507

    >> That's better.

    > I actually liked the sparkly bokeh in the first one, but then I do like
    > shiny things. ;-)

    The bokeh in the first one is only half bad: the disks have bright edges
    (which is classic bad bokeh), but at least they're disks and not pentagons,
    as my Fuji GS645S produces.

    The lighting is gorgeous in those shots. Bret really nailed it.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 27, 2007
  10. Annika1980

    Ray Paseur Guest

    "David J. Littleboy" <> wrote in

    <snip>
    > The lighting is gorgeous in those shots. Bret really nailed it.

    </snip>

    I agree -- I preferred the first one. What is the source of backlight?
    Ray

    Ray Paseur, Jul 27, 2007
  11. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 27, 7:28 am, Ray Paseur <>
    wrote:
    >>The lighting is gorgeous in those shots. Bret really nailed it.

    > </snip>
    >
    > I agree -- I preferred the first one. What is the source of backlight?
    > Ray

    The backlight was provided by a large light I sometimes use.
    Its called the Sun.

    I was shooting almost directly into the sun on these pics. Hence, the
    strong "sparklies" coming through the trees. It is a torture test for
    background bokeh, but this lens handled it as well as could be hoped
    for.

    Annika1980, Jul 27, 2007
  12. Annika1980

    Tony Polson Guest

    Annika1980 <> wrote:

    >Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    >fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    >Lightsphere.
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886503/original
    >
    >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >
    >Note the lack of harsh shadows.

    The bokeh in the first shot, taken at f/9.0 is very harsh, but it is
    significantly improved in the second shot at f/3.2.

    Given that this is an f/1.2 lens, and you had plenty of headroom in
    terms of increasing shutter speeds, why not use it wide open?

    The 85mm f/1.2 gives beautiful OOF rendition at f/1.2. Stopping it
    down, when there is really no need, is a waste of a fine lens.

    Nice composition, though. The Golden Section works well for Divot.

    ;-)

    Tony Polson, Jul 27, 2007
  13. Annika1980

    Draco Guest

    On Jul 27, 12:43 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    > fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    > Lightsphere.

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >
    > Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    > camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    Not only are you a well versed in photography but a world class
    animal handler to boot. I can never get any of my cats to still long
    enough to focus the freakin lens. Do you anesthetize the litle guys so
    they pose for you or is it because you have been sticking a camera in
    their faces since they were little? hehe Whatever.

    Keep doing it. The images are wonderful. Mr. Divs looks like a
    wonderful friend and companion.

    Draco

    Getting even isn't good enough.

    Doing better does.

    Draco, Jul 27, 2007
  14. Annika1980

    Saguenay Guest

    "Annika1980" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    > fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    > Lightsphere.

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >
    > Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    > camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    Nice portraits... Nice light. Nice fur. Wonderful eyes. (Ok, ok, nice fish
    eater, too...)
    I am always waiting for "xyz loves the 20 D" pictures.

    I took care to look at the pics *before* reading the resulting comments
    list...
    I was not disturbed by the bokeh. The bokeh would have to be v v v very ugly
    to degrade my perception of a whole picture.
    Anyway, I can't afford to choose/buy optics according to their bokeh in the
    first place. For me, bokeh, good or medium bad, is something we must live
    with.

    mb

    Saguenay, Jul 27, 2007
  15. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Jul 27, 12:43 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    > Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    > fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    > Lightsphere.

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >
    > Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    > camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    I think this lens is one of your all time dream lenses?
    How would you compare it with the 85mm f/1.8?
    Helen

    , Jul 27, 2007
  16. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 27, 9:30 am, Tony Polson <> wrote:

    > Given that this is an f/1.2 lens, and you had plenty of headroom in
    > terms of increasing shutter speeds, why not use it wide open?

    One word answer: Flash.

    Longer answer:
    I wanted to make sure I had enough flash to light him up.
    Hence, I used Tv (Shutter Speed Priority) mode at the max sync speed
    of 1/250.
    Yes, I could have used high-speed sync, but that gives mixed results.

    Annika1980, Jul 27, 2007
  17. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 27, 10:10 am, wrote:

    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886503/original

    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507

    > I think this lens is one of your all time dream lenses?
    > How would you compare it with the 85mm f/1.8?
    > Helen

    This is my dream lens. The 85 f/1.2L Series II model.
    As to how it compares to the f/1.8, I'll let you know in a few days
    when I've done some tests. I just got the lens yesterday afternoon.
    This week will surely fly by.

    Annika1980, Jul 27, 2007
  18. Annika1980

    Allen Guest

    Draco wrote:
    > On Jul 27, 12:43 am, Annika1980 <> wrote:
    >> Here's a couple of test shots I did today with strong backlighting and
    >> fill flash provided by the 550EX (off camera) with the Gary Fong
    >> Lightsphere.
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886503/original
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507
    >>
    >> Note the lack of harsh shadows. The flash was off to the left of the
    >> camera, about where Mr. Divs is looking.

    > Not only are you a well versed in photography but a world class
    > animal handler to boot. I can never get any of my cats to still long
    > enough to focus the freakin lens. Do you anesthetize the litle guys so
    > they pose for you or is it because you have been sticking a camera in
    > their faces since they were little? hehe Whatever.

    Also been there, tried to do that. Back in film days, we had six cats
    (sadly, only two now). My wife and I thought we would send our son, also
    a cat lover, a picture of us with all six of them. My son-in-law came
    over and shot 25 exposures, running out of film at the same time we all
    collapsed in laughter, When we got prints back, there was _one_ exposure
    that included _parts_ of all six--the nearest thing we had to success.
    We still look at those pictures and laugh.
    Allen

    Allen, Jul 27, 2007
  19. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Jul 27, 9:42 am, Draco <> wrote:

    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886503/original
    > >http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82886507

    > Not only are you a well versed in photography but a world class
    > animal handler to boot. I can never get any of my cats to still long
    > enough to focus the freakin lens. Do you anesthetize the litle guys so
    > they pose for you or is it because you have been sticking a camera in
    > their faces since they were little? hehe Whatever.

    Sometimes it helps to have an assistant. I had my wife hold Divot on
    her shoulder and tilt her head out of the frame. Thus the tight
    cropping on the right.
    Even then Divot would hardly hold still.

    Shit, I'm giving away all my secrets!

    Annika1980, Jul 27, 2007
  20. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > On Jul 27, 9:30 am, Tony Polson <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Given that this is an f/1.2 lens, and you had plenty of headroom in
    >> terms of increasing shutter speeds, why not use it wide open?
    >>

    > One word answer: Flash.

    Three words: Neutral density filter.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan