Garbled Photo using Sandisk SD card?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Test User, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Test User

    Test User Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I just bought a DX4530 EasyShare Kodak camera, along with a 256MB sandisk SD
    card.

    The problem seems to lie with the card, because whenever I preview my card
    in windows explorer using my windows 2000 pc picture 100_0052.jpg
    gets garbled, here's a screen shot of my windows explorer
    http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/garble.jpg
    Only the preview gets garbled, but when I click on the actual picture it
    seems fine.

    Although I did try viewing the pic on another PC, and was ok there (my
    colleague has windows xp)
    I do have another SD card made by Lexar, which is excellent and has no such
    problems.

    I am considering exchanging it for a Lexar Card.

    Equipment summary:
    PC: 1 GHz processor with 256MB ram
    windows: Win 2000
    monitor multisync FE1250+
    resolution: 1600x1200
    card reader: jump drive trio
    camera: DX4530
    card: 256 Sandisk SD card

    Thanx,
    TU

    Test User, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Test User

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <>, Test User <> writes
    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I just bought a DX4530 EasyShare Kodak camera, along with a 256MB sandisk SD
    >card.
    >
    >The problem seems to lie with the card, because whenever I preview my card
    >in windows explorer using my windows 2000 pc picture 100_0052.jpg
    >gets garbled, here's a screen shot of my windows explorer
    >http://www.geocities.com/yankeesfan4ever2002/garble.jpg
    >Only the preview gets garbled, but when I click on the actual picture it
    >seems fine.

    That is a very odd fault. But not impossible. The colour patterns show
    some corruption in the data stream used to make the preview. I would be
    more inclined to blame Win2k for this aberration myself. I have seen too
    many media transfer problems related specifically to that OS.

    >Although I did try viewing the pic on another PC, and was ok there (my
    >colleague has windows xp)
    >I do have another SD card made by Lexar, which is excellent and has no such
    >problems.
    >
    >I am considering exchanging it for a Lexar Card.

    Is the good card the same size as the failing one?

    >Equipment summary:
    >PC: 1 GHz processor with 256MB ram
    >windows: Win 2000
    >monitor multisync FE1250+
    >resolution: 1600x1200
    >card reader: jump drive trio
    >camera: DX4530
    >card: 256 Sandisk SD card

    That the card reads OK on your friends PC suggests something else is at
    fault. Repeatable data errors are quite rare.

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Test User

    Test User Guest

    Hi Martin,

    Thank You so much for trying to resolve my hell.

    Well anyways I did try the same card (sandisk) and card reader
    (JumpDriveTrio) on Win 98 machine.
    The preview (using PSP7) seemed ok. But both pictures were messed up, when
    viewing in PSP7 or MS Photo Editor.

    The good Lexar card is 128MB the sandisk card is 256MB.

    Other PC summary:
    PC: 500 MHz processor with 128MB ram
    windows: Win 98SE
    monitor multisync ??
    resolution: 1280 x 1024

    One other thing I did try was running VSFMark with my Palm Zire 71 and here
    are the results:
    Ironically the sandisk scored higher than the Lexmark but file write is
    woefully slow.

    VFSMark Results Lexmark
    File Create: 186%
    File Delete: 157%
    File Write: 59%
    File Read: 249%
    File Seek: 327%
    DB Export: 64%
    DB Import: 377%
    Record Access: 385%
    Resource Access: 345%
    VFSMark: 238

    VFSMark Results Sandisk
    File Create: 170%
    File Delete: 101%
    File Write: 21%
    File Read: 329%
    File Seek: 368%
    DB Export: 155%
    DB Import: 459%
    Record Access: 470%
    Resource Access: 431%
    VFSMark: 278

    Regards
    TU

    Test User, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Test User

    Martin Brown Guest

    In message <>, Test User <> writes
    >Hi Martin,
    >
    >Thank You so much for trying to resolve my hell.
    >
    >Well anyways I did try the same card (sandisk) and card reader
    >(JumpDriveTrio) on Win 98 machine.
    >The preview (using PSP7) seemed ok. But both pictures were messed up, when
    >viewing in PSP7 or MS Photo Editor.

    Damaged the same way every time? Or different faults each time you read
    it? What if you copy them to a hard disk and then open them?

    Next step is try a reader you know has worked OK with the Sandisk card
    elsewhere on your own PC. It might be a bad media card, but a bad reader
    is more likely.

    >The good Lexar card is 128MB the sandisk card is 256MB.

    Points to either the card reader or its drivers and larger media.

    Although USB on Win98 isn't something you can rely on working properly
    so other things could be going wrong there too!

    Regards,
    --
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Test User

    Test User Guest

    Martin,

    I've decided to return the Sandisk card and exchange it for the Lexar
    branded version.

    See my separate post (12/4) regarding these 2 issues:
    but I bought a 256mb Lexar SD card, but turns out the card is MMC.
    Also having problems with Kodak

    Arrgh.....

    Test User, Dec 4, 2003