    face on our history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In fact, that is
    what the movie is about! How good a job Scorses has done is your judgement
    call. Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs up.

    Pat, Jul 2, 2003

  2. Pat

    Gerry Guest

    > Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs up.

    I'm wondering, who are these people?

    Gerry, Jul 2, 2003

  3. Pat

    Arkon24fps Guest

    Pat <> wrote in message
    > Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The critics were mixed.

    Some
    > hated it and Ebert and Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
    > Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal friends hated it because

    they
    > felt it showed the ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it was

    is
    > no excuse they say for showing it. I think they would like to paint a

    happy
    > face on our history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In fact, that is
    > what the movie is about! How good a job Scorses has done is your judgement
    > call. Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs up.

    A very good, but not great film. I found I didn't care about the love story
    BS between Cameron and Leo. Otherwise this is a beautifully set, shot,
    edited-Thelma, and acted film. DD Lewis who "supposedly" went into self
    imposed retirement before this film was cast, absolutely had to work with
    Marty to he did the flick. DD has made more bad film choices than any other
    great actor I can remember. The Crucible? What the f&ck was that but a bunch
    of over dressed woman with the same sour puss on their faces throughout the
    movie. According to this movie, they killed witches cause they were
    boring.... Anyway, back to Marty. I think Leo is consistantly proving to be
    a talent. I find love stories in films like this just get in the way. Imply
    there is a love triangle but that's it.

    Arkon24fps, Jul 2, 2003
  4. Pat

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The critics were mixed.
    > Some hated it and Ebert and Roeper thought it was outstanding.

    Excellent advice. Buy this one unseen at your own risk. This flick
    definitely will not appeal to everyone.

    I'm glad that I rented _Gangs of New York_, instead of rushing out to
    buy it. I was able to watch only the first half of the movie before
    scanning through the rest of it. Didn't care enough to even look at the
    special features. With Hollywood Video's early return credit, I will end
    up being out only $3.

    I totally agree with these reviews:

    "If Scorcese hadn't directed it, no one would even pretend to like it."
    -- Karina Montgomery, CINERINA

    "The movie is so over the top and silly, that you'll find yourself
    thinking of the sets as a prototype for a new Gangland area of
    Disneyland."
    -- Steve Rhodes, STEVE RHODES' INTERNET REVIEWS

    "A film that suffers because of its many excesses."
    -- Jeff Vice, DESERET NEWS, SALT LAKE CITY

    "... a big, baggy, sprawling carnival of a movie, stretching out before
    us with little rhyme or reason."
    -- Rob Vaux, FLIPSIDE MOVIE EMPORIUM

    "Gangs of New York is an unapologetic mess, whose only saving grace is
    that it ends by blowing just about everything up."
    -- Joshua Tyler, FILM HOBBIT

    "Scorsese doesn't give us a character worth giving a damn about."
    -- Christopher Smith, BANGOR DAILY NEWS (MAINE)

    "The world needs more filmmakers with passionate enthusiasms like Martin
    Scorsese. But it doesn't need Gangs of New York."
    -- Stephanie Zacharek, SALON.COM

    "...bludgeoned by rough cuts and insipid voice-overs that reveal
    [Scorsese's] desperation and/or frustration resulting from nearly two
    years of post-production."
    -- Shaun Sages, MOVIE NAVIGATOR

    "A misfire of monstrous proportions, the worst large-scale epic since
    Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate."
    -- Glenn Lovell, SAN JOSE MERCURY NEWS

    "The movie's an epic, but that's just a nice way of saying it's boring
    and lasts forever."
    -- Cherryl Dawson and Leigh Ann Palone, THEMOVIECHICKS.COM

    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/GangsofNewYork-1110067/?rtp=1

    Scot Gardner, Jul 2, 2003
  5. Pat

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Erik Harris" <n$wsr$ader@$harrishom$.com> wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:47:19 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 06:47:19 -0700, "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    >I'm glad that I rented _Gangs of New York_, instead of rushing out to
    >buy it. I was able to watch only the first half of the movie before
    >scanning through the rest of it. Didn't care enough to even look at the
    >special features. With Hollywood Video's early return credit, I will end
    >up being out only $3.

    <<On the other hand, suckers on eBay are gladly paying $12.50-19.50 for this DVD, and it's selling for $15 at BestBuy. Aside from the risk of having your auction go for less than the typical eBay sale price, buying it and re-selling it could prove cheaper than renting it. :)>>

    <<I find the same to be true of many new releases. I looked on eBay for the Mr. Bean box set, and I could not find anyone selling it for less than what I ended out paying a store for a known-new copy (too many eBay auctions sell "sealed" DVDs that are RE-sealed, and don't contain all of the materials that came with the disc/discs). -- Erik Harris>>

    The Best Buy $14.99 price sounds like the lowest, unless Wal-Mart does the $14.88 thing. After accumulating about 50 once-watched DVDs, I am renting more and buying less. Particularly since joining Netflix.

    Scot Gardner, Jul 3, 2003
  6. Pat

    Bob Bohling Guest

    wrote:

    >I'm glad that I rented _Gangs of New York_, instead of rushing out to
    >buy it. I was able to watch only the first half of the movie before
    >scanning through the rest of it. Didn't care enough to even look at the
    >special features. With Hollywood Video's early return credit, I will end
    >up being out only $3.

    <<On the other hand, suckers on eBay are gladly paying $12.50-19.50 for this
    DVD, and it's selling for $15 at BestBuy. Aside from the risk of having
    your auction go for less than the typical eBay sale price, buying it and
    re-selling it could prove cheaper than renting it. :)>>

    <<I find the same to be true of many new releases. I looked on eBay for the
    Mr. Bean box set, and I could not find anyone selling it for less than what
    I ended out paying a store for a known-new copy (too many eBay auctions sell
    "sealed" DVDs that are RE-sealed, and don't contain all of the materials
    that came with the disc/discs). -- Erik Harris>>

    The Best Buy $14.99 price sounds like the lowest, unless Wal-Mart does the
    $14.88 thing. After accumulating about 50 once-watched DVDs, I am renting
    more and buying less. Particularly since joining Netflix.

    Yep, bought it at Wally World for $14.85

    Bob Bohling, Jul 4, 2003
  7. Pat

    Maverick Guest

    (Pat) wrote:

    >Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The
    > critics were mixed. Some hated it and Ebert and
    > Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
    > Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal
    > friends hated it because they felt it showed the
    > ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it
    > was is no excuse they say for showing it. I think
    > they would like to paint a happy face on our
    > history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In
    > fact, that is what the movie is about! How good a
    > job Scorses has done is your judgement call.
    > Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs
    > up.

    I also advise everyone to give Gangs of New York a rental first, IMHO
    this film is seriously flawed. The first half is somewhat interesting,
    the second half is just totally boring, I couldn't really get into this
    flick, and can't understand how this film got any Oscar nominations when
    their were far better films more deserving. The visuals are actually
    good, but I can't understand why Ebert and Roeper thought it was
    outstanding, perhaps they've been watching too many bad films lately.

    Maverick, Jul 4, 2003
  8. Pat

    Jay Stewart Guest

    "Maverick" <> wrote in message
    > (Pat) wrote:
    >
    > >Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The
    > > critics were mixed. Some hated it and Ebert and
    > > Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
    > > Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal
    > > friends hated it because they felt it showed the
    > > ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it
    > > was is no excuse they say for showing it. I think
    > > they would like to paint a happy face on our
    > > history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In
    > > fact, that is what the movie is about! How good a
    > > job Scorses has done is your judgement call.
    > > Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs
    > > up.

    > I also advise everyone to give Gangs of New York a rental first, IMHO
    > this film is seriously flawed. The first half is somewhat interesting,
    > the second half is just totally boring, I couldn't really get into this
    > flick, and can't understand how this film got any Oscar nominations when
    > their were far better films more deserving. The visuals are actually
    > good, but I can't understand why Ebert and Roeper thought it was
    > outstanding, perhaps they've been watching too many bad films lately.

    Well, though I agree with the gist of your post, I have to say that Daniel
    Day Lewis was well deserving of his nomination and the art direction and
    production design were superb.

    There were moments in the film, however, that I thought were nothing short
    of embarrassing - a few 'montage moments' in the second half come to mind.

    Jay Stewart, Jul 5, 2003
  9. Pat

    jason bean Guest

    Maverick wrote:
    > (Pat) wrote:
    >

    >>Gangs of New York is released. Give it a rent. The
    >>critics were mixed. Some hated it and Ebert and
    >>Roeper thought it was outstanding. Not up to
    >>Goodfellas or Mean Streets. Some of my liberal
    >>friends hated it because they felt it showed the
    >>ethnic rivalry as mean spirited. The fact that it
    >>was is no excuse they say for showing it. I think
    >>they would like to paint a happy face on our
    >>history and sweep the bigotry under the rug. In
    >>fact, that is what the movie is about! How good a
    >>job Scorses has done is your judgement call.
    >>Greene refused to see it, Bowne gave it a thumbs
    >>up.

    > I also advise everyone to give Gangs of New York a rental first, IMHO
    > this film is seriously flawed. The first half is somewhat interesting,
    > the second half is just totally boring, I couldn't really get into this
    > flick, and can't understand how this film got any Oscar nominations when
    > their were far better films more deserving. The visuals are actually
    > good, but I can't understand why Ebert and Roeper thought it was
    > outstanding, perhaps they've been watching too many bad films lately.

    Weird, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
    Once I watched it , I had to watch it another two times. Loved it .

    jason

    jason bean, Jul 13, 2003