    7800's?

    tia 10/19

    , Oct 19, 2005

  2. why? Guest

    On 19 Oct 2005 08:33:11 -0700, wrote:

    >I'm thinking of blowing a few thousand bucks on a gamer system today. I
    >want an top of the line system that will last me a good five+ years.
    >I'm thinking about an SLI system with dual Geforce 7800 GTX... I have a
    >couple questions if some patient person wouldnt mind giving me some
    >noobie advice:
    >
    >For the CPU.. what is Dual Core and what is HT? I assume the dual core

    CPU Dual Core , two processors packaged into 1 socket.

    www.google.com -
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cpu dual core
    has links to Intel, AMD and Toms Hardware
    http://www.google.com/search?q=cpu Hyper-Threading
    links to Intel. An intro to HT
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/hyperthreading.ars

    www.webopedia.com -
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/d/dual_core.html
    http://webopedia.com/TERM/H/Hyper_Threading.html

    Other sites,
    www.xbitlabs.com
    www.tomshardware.com

    www.intel.com
    http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/
    HT comments about gaming.

    www.amd.com

    You really need read some of the reviews / info on sites like xbitlabs
    and tomshardware, there are many more.

    Depends if you wan't to go for the extra expense , how much benefit you
    may get.

    >is a newer cpu model and I want that.. but is HT something i should be

    Depends if the software has been rewritten to get the benefit of dual
    core.

    HT you have it or you don't. I have a P4 HT at work IBM 8183 ThinkCenter
    makes no odds with 512MB RAM , and a 1.4GB pagefile because of all the
    apps running.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...ll/proddocs/en-us/taskman_assign_process.mspx

    Support for HTin MS OS, this is a *doc file* not a webpage
    www.2cpu.com/Hardware/ht_analysis/hyperthreading.doc

    >looking for? What about 64 bit? Is there any reason for me to take the
    >64 bit leap? I wasnt planning to.

    Pretty much the same as above , a 64bit box but will it be a 64bit OS?
    Or 64bit box running a 32bit OS like XP Home / XP Pro. Thare are issues
    with drivers for just about anything in 64bit OS mode.

    >Anyone got any additional advice for me? Maybe someone can recommend a
    >good SLI motherboard & cpu to get me started? I prefer Intel over AMD.

    I think the Intel prices for dual core are more than AMD, even if you
    get the right AMD 64bit board and a single core CPU, some mobos with a
    BIOS upgrade means you can drop in a dual core Athlon 64 later.

    >Also.. will a 550 watt powersupply be enough to feed the two monster
    >7800's?

    One reference for www.google.com
    Tom's Hardware Guide Graphics Cards: Nvidia Launches GeForce 7800
    Nvidia Launches GeForce 7800 GTX Graphics Chip - The latest graphics
    card from Nvidia ... Power consumption remains at about 100 watts,
    according to Nvidia. ...
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050621/ - Similar pages

    That looks like 2 x 100W, so you are using , around 49% just for the 2
    cards.

    Some serious searching and reading is in order, there are most likely
    lots of game sites / forums discussing your points.

    >tia 10/19

    Me

    why?, Oct 19, 2005

  3. Dave Lear Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I'm thinking of blowing a few thousand bucks on a gamer
    > system today. I want an top of the line system that will last
    > me a good five+ years. I'm thinking about an SLI system
    > with dual Geforce 7800 GTX...

    Well, up until around a week and a half ago the GeForce 7800GTXs were the
    fastest cards out. However, with the release of the ATI Radeon X1800XTs
    they're not any more. The X1800XTs are available in 512MB versions, also
    capable of running Cross-Fire'd (i.e. two Radeons on same motherboard -
    ATI's version of SLI) which means you could have 1GB of video ram.

    However, there's no game currently out that even vaguely needs a single
    7800GTX or X1800XT to run at top whack, let alone two of them together. The
    most recent game I have is F.E.A.R. and that's supposedly a resource hog. I
    run a Radeon X850XT and have all the effects turned onto maximum at 1600 x
    1200 resolution, fully anti-aliased and I'm happily getting an average of 50
    FPS (min of 30, max of 120).

    So, my advice would be to buy a PC which has a motherboard (and PSU) capable
    of running two boards in SLI but to only buy one card. By the time a game
    comes out which might need it you'll either be able to replace your current
    board with a new one capable of everything you need, or you can add a second
    card of the same spec for a much lower cost.

    Basically, there's no game out (or due for ages) that will need SLI'd
    boards - at the minute they're purely for bragging rights.

    Dave Lear, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Guest

    Some good advice, thanks guys, much appreciated. It's an impulse buy..
    I think I'll do it after work before the girlfriend has a chance to
    'talk' some sense into me... =)

    , Oct 19, 2005
  5. Plato Guest

    wrote:

    > I'm thinking of blowing a few thousand bucks on a gamer system today. I
    > want an top of the line system that will last me a good five+ years.

    No such animal as a "gaming system" that will last five years.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Guest

    > No such animal as a "gaming system" that will last five years.

    I carried through on my impusle buy... AMD 64 X2 4200... SLI Geforce
    7800 gtx.. x 2 ..... I suspect this "animal" will eat your animal for
    lunch... and live on past 5 years..... but we'll see......

    , Oct 20, 2005
  7. The Shed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >> No such animal as a "gaming system" that will last five years.

    > I carried through on my impusle buy... AMD 64 X2 4200... SLI Geforce
    > 7800 gtx.. x 2 ..... I suspect this "animal" will eat your animal for
    > lunch... and live on past 5 years..... but we'll see......

    Purchased in the head more likely----new technology today is tomorrows
    junk

    The Shed, Oct 20, 2005
  8. why? Guest

    On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:21:07 GMT, The Shed wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>> No such animal as a "gaming system" that will last five years.

    >> I carried through on my impusle buy... AMD 64 X2 4200... SLI Geforce
    >> 7800 gtx.. x 2 ..... I suspect this "animal" will eat your animal for
    >> lunch... and live on past 5 years..... but we'll see......
    >>

    >Purchased in the head more likely----new technology today is tomorrows
    >junk

    Tomorrows junk is a power Linux cluster :)

    Me

    why?, Oct 21, 2005