    the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I did
    like it.

    Suggestions?
    Bill Schowengerdt, Jul 26, 2003

  2. Bill Schowengerdt

    Fummie Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
    > recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
    >
    > I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
    > people
    >
    > While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
    > are like minded with me.
    >
    > So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
    > free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
    > little for it.
    >
    > I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
    > of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
    > did like it.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Here is a nice little game called Clickomania: http://www.clickomania.ch/click/
    They have heaps of other games there too.
    Fummie, Jul 26, 2003

  3. Bill Schowengerdt

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt continued:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
    > recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
    >
    > I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
    > people
    >
    > While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
    > are like minded with me.
    >
    > So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
    > free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
    > little for it.
    >
    > I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
    > of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
    > did like it.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    www.fhm.com have loads of online games which are ace, and great for office
    competitions ;-)
    www.shockwave.com have hundreds too, mostly pretty good, with free demos
    etc.

    There are hundreds more too, just google your day away....
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Bill Schowengerdt

    trout Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
    > recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
    >
    > I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
    > people
    >
    > While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
    > are like minded with me.
    >
    > So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
    > free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
    > little for it.
    >
    > I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
    > of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
    > did like it.
    >
    > Suggestions?

    Frozen Windows was fun:
    <http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html>
    --
    "Slow and strategic."
    trout, Jul 26, 2003
  5. On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 13:44:59 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, "slumpy" <> posted:
    ..
    >"So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?" I
    >threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt continued:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
    >> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
    >>
    >> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
    >> people
    >>
    >> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
    >> are like minded with me.
    >>
    >> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
    >> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
    >> little for it.
    >>
    >> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
    >> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
    >> did like it.
    >>
    >> Suggestions?

    >www.fhm.com have loads of online games which are ace, and great for office
    >competitions ;-)
    >www.shockwave.com have hundreds too, mostly pretty good, with free demos
    >etc.
    >
    >There are hundreds more too, just google your day away..

    Suggestions of particular games?..
    Bill Schowengerdt, Jul 28, 2003
  6. Bill Schowengerdt

    trout Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    > the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:

    <snip>

    >> Frozen Windows was fun:
    >> http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html

    > Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on
    > with some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than
    > my thread.
    >
    > I shall try your suggestion.

    It's up to you; how you want to use the newsgroup, Bill. But I'd
    seriously consider making some use of that killfile.
    --
    "It can be a much more peaceful, pleasant place."
    trout, Jul 28, 2003
  7. On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:49:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    >> the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>> Frozen Windows was fun:
    >>> http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html

    >> Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on
    >> with some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than
    >> my thread.
    >>
    >> I shall try your suggestion.

    > It's up to you; how you want to use the newsgroup, Bill. But I'd
    >seriously consider making some use of that killfile.

    Due to problems in my brain I have a very hard time tracking who posted
    what. Therefore I have resisted using the kill filter because I did not
    want to killfile someone who occasionally has something useful to say. Or
    even someone who I could help.(Unlikely, but ya never know.)

    However, I think you are correct and that perhaps I should take the time
    to read some posting histories and killfile some people. Apparently there
    are a few who never have anything useful, eh?
    Bill Schowengerdt, Jul 28, 2003
  8. Bill Schowengerdt

    trout Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:49:04 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    > the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    > .
    >> Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to
    >>> stop the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:

    >> <snip>

    >>> Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on
    >>> with some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than
    >>> my thread.
    >>>
    >>> I shall try your suggestion.

    >> It's up to you; how you want to use the newsgroup, Bill. But I'd
    >> seriously consider making some use of that killfile.

    > Due to problems in my brain I have a very hard time tracking who
    > posted what. Therefore I have resisted using the kill filter because
    > I did not want to killfile someone who occasionally has something
    > useful to say. Or even someone who I could help.(Unlikely, but ya
    > never know.)
    >
    > However, I think you are correct and that perhaps I should take the
    > time to read some posting histories and killfile some people.
    > Apparently there are a few who never have anything useful, eh?

    Again, suit yourself.
    What I'll sometimes do, when I've got my doubts about somebody, is
    create a rule that will 'flag' that poster.
    Subsequent posts will all be flagged, so if I see nothing but
    consistent crap; it's time for the bin. (Again, this is in OE; but I'm
    sure there's something similar in your reader.)
    And yeah, a review of posting history can be pretty revealing.
    That's why the worst of the lot change their names so often.
    --
    "Life's too short, to waste it talking to idiots."
    trout, Jul 28, 2003
  9. On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:38:27 -0500, Bill Schowengerdt
    <> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    the world:

    >On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    >the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    >.
    >>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I realize there are NGs devoted to games and they would give me game
    >>> recommendations. However, I am not looking for their recommendation.
    >>>
    >>> I am a common man so I am looking for a recommendation from common
    >>> people
    >>>
    >>> While I certainly won't accuse you folk of being common, I believe you
    >>> are like minded with me.
    >>>
    >>> So.... I am limited to something I can download (56K) and is hopefully
    >>> free. I suppose If it is something I really like, then I could pay a
    >>> little for it.
    >>>
    >>> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
    >>> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
    >>> did like it.
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions?

    >>Frozen Windows was fun:
    >><http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html>

    >Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on with
    >some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than my
    >thread.

    "Your thread" ??????

    oooooo May I puuuuhleeeeeeaase see your deed to the TROO OWNERSHIP UV
    TEH 24hoursupport.hepdesk newsfroup? I ain't never seen wun
    befo!!11!!!

    >I shall try your suggestion.

    UseNet Rules #n:
    No firm info at the present time is available on just what the other UseNet
    Rules #n are. However, at a guess, they include:
    --
    Rule #nonumber: There are no hard-and-fast Rules on UseNet, only Guidelines,
    which are more or less strictly enforced (and differ) from group to group;
    this is why it's generally wise to read any group for a bit before ever
    posting to it.
    Rule #0: *There* *is* *no* *C*b*l*. There *is*, however, a net-wide
    conspiracy designed solely to lead Dave Hayes (q.v.) to believe that there
    is a C*b*l.
    Corollary: *There* *are* *no* *pods*.
    Rule #9: It's *always* September, *somewhere* on the Net.
    Dave Fischer's Extension: 1993 was The Year September Never Ended [so far,
    there doesn't seem to be much evidence he's wrong...]
    Rule #17: Go not to UseNet for counsel, for they will say both `No' and
    `Yes' and `Try another newsgroup'.
    Rule #2 (John Gilmore): "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes
    around it."
    Rule #108 (from the soc.motss FAQ): "What will happen to me if I read
    soc.motss?" "In general, nothing. (You may be informed or infuriated, of
    course; but that's a standard Usenet hazard.)"
    Rule #666: Old alt groups never die. They don't fade away nicely, either.
    Rule #7-B: There is no topic so thoroughly covered that noone will ever
    bring it up again.
    Rule #90120: Applying your standards to someone else's post *will* result
    in a flamewar.
    Rule #1: Spellling and grammer counts. So do grace, wit, and a sense of
    humor (the latter two are different), as well as a willingness to meet
    odd people, but these are lesser considerations.
    Rule #x^2: FAQs are asked frequently. Get used to them.
    Rule #29: no rational discourse can happen in a thread cross-posted to
    more than two newsgroups.
    rule #6 (Eddie Saxe): don't post to misc.test unless you understand the
    consequences.
    Rule #547 (Arne Adolfsen): When people know they're wrong they resort to ad
    hominems.
    Rule #37 (Faisal Nameer Jawdat): Read the thread from the beginning, or else.
    Rule #5 (Reimer's Reason): Nobody ever ignores what they should ignore on
    Usenet.
    Rule $19.99 (Brad `Squid' Shapcott): The Internet *isn't* *free*. It just has
    an economy that makes no sense to capitalism.
    Rule #3 ("Why 3?" "Because we felt like it"): For every opinion there is at
    least one equally loud and opposing opinion; sometimes stated as:
    Rule #27 (Gary Lewandowski): "In cyberspace, *everyone* can hear you scream."
    And for completeness' sake:

    Rule #4: (Godwin's Rule) Any off-topic mention of Hitler or Nazis will cause
    the thread it is mentioned in to an irrelevant and off-topic end very soon;
    every thread on UseNet has a constantly-increasing probability to contain
    such a mention.
    Quirk's Exception: Intentional invocation of this so-called "Nazi Clause" is
    ineffectual.
    Case's Corollary: If the subject is Heinlein or homosexuality, the
    probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison being made becomes equal to one.
    - net.legends FAQ (<URL:http://www.uiuc.edu/
    ~tskirvin/faqs/legends.html>)
    --
    Copyright 1999, Tim Skirvin
    <URL:http://www.uiuc.edu/~tskirvin/faqs/godwin.faq>
    Pinears P HornSwaGGle, Jul 28, 2003
  10. On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:32:08 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    ..

    > Again, suit yourself.
    >What I'll sometimes do, when I've got my doubts about somebody, is
    >create a rule that will 'flag' that poster.

    Good idea

    > Subsequent posts will all be flagged, so if I see nothing but
    >consistent crap; it's time for the bin. (Again, this is in OE; but I'm
    >sure there's something similar in your reader.)

    Agent.... It does and I shall

    > And yeah, a review of posting history can be pretty revealing.
    >That's why the worst of the lot change their names so often.

    I will provde for that as best I can in creating filters for them

    Thanks again for the great idea.
    Bill Schowengerdt, Jul 28, 2003
  11. On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 05:16:08 GMT, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, Pinears P HornSwaGGle <> posted:
    ..
    >On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 21:38:27 -0500, Bill Schowengerdt
    ><> ripped off his/her clothing and screamed to
    >the world:
    >
    >>On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:45:05 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    >>the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    >>.

    >>>Frozen Windows was fun:
    >>><http://www.wordboosters.com/more/mr_frznet.html>

    >>Thank you for you well reasoned reply. I don't know what is going on with
    >>some others, but I wish they would take it somewhere other than my
    >>thread.

    >"Your thread" ??????

    Yes... My thread meaning the thread I started.

    >oooooo May I puuuuhleeeeeeaase see your deed to the TROO OWNERSHIP UV
    >TEH 24hoursupport.hepdesk newsfroup? I ain't never seen wun

    -- Snip --
    > such a mention.
    > Quirk's Exception: Intentional invocation of this so-called "Nazi Clause" is
    > ineffectual.
    > Case's Corollary: If the subject is Heinlein or homosexuality, the
    > probability of a Hitler/Nazi comparison being made becomes equal to one.

    Whatever.
    Bill Schowengerdt, Jul 28, 2003
  12. Bill Schowengerdt

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt continued:

    >> www.fhm.com have loads of online games which are ace, and great for
    >> office competitions ;-)
    >> www.shockwave.com have hundreds too, mostly pretty good, with free
    >> demos etc.
    >>
    >> There are hundreds more too, just google your day away..

    > Suggestions of particular games?..

    Strangely the ones you would think are crap turn out to be the most
    addictive.

    Anyone got a link for the paper plane game ?
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jul 28, 2003
  13. Bill Schowengerdt

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt continued:

    >>> I have no knowledge in computer games. The last one I had was "Jill"
    >>> of the jungle (remember it?) It was about my level of ability and I
    >>> did like it.

    >> Bullshit. You were taken in by her larger than average knockers.

    > No,... but I did like the way she would squat. And unlike any real
    > girls i have ever known, she would squat on command.

    Looks like the OP won that one.
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jul 28, 2003
  14. Bill Schowengerdt

    trout Guest

    http://www.workmanweb.com/fliersclub/simulator2.html
    --
    "Watch out for paper-cuts."
    trout, Jul 28, 2003
  15. Bill Schowengerdt

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as trout continued:

    > slumpy wrote:
    >
    >> "So, Mr Slumpy you *really* are the perpetual comedian, aren't you ?"
    >> I threw back my head and roared with laughter as Bill Schowengerdt
    >> continued:

    >>> Suggestions of particular games?..

    >> Strangely the ones you would think are crap turn out to be the most
    >> addictive.
    >>
    >> Anyone got a link for the paper plane game ?

    > http://www.workmanweb.com/fliersclub/simulator2.html

    Aaaah, an old fave, must have lost it from me faves ;-)
    --
    slumpy
    no more
    slumpy, Jul 28, 2003