    anything better and does everything this does???

    thanks

    , Feb 27, 2005

  2. Frank ess Guest

    wrote:
    > has anyone tried or is presently using this software?
    > http://tinyurl.com/i3xz
    >
    > anything better and does everything this does???
    >
    > thanks

    I'd be more tempted to follow a tiny'd link to an unidentified site if
    the destination were identified by name and full-on URL, and the poster
    called himself something other than "chasm".

    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Feb 27, 2005

  3. paul Guest

    wrote:

    > has anyone tried or is presently using this software?
    > http://tinyurl.com/i3xz
    >
    > anything better and does everything this does???

    That is a very good one: 'Gallery'. There is another similar product
    (also) at sourceforge.net, I don't recall the name. I spent some time
    with a 'Gallery' setup & was very impressed. It's a lot of work to
    customize properly but extremely capable. If you have no taste for geeky
    setup procedures, it might be tough to get it looking just how you want
    but a whole lot can be done just from the web admin login control panel.
    I'm sure there are bugs but if you follow their forums someone probably
    has a fix for just about anything.
    paul, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Guest

    paul wrote:
    >That is a very good one: 'Gallery'. There is another similar product
    >(also) at sourceforge.net, I don't recall the name. I spent some time
    >with a 'Gallery' setup & was very impressed. It's a lot of work to
    >customize properly but extremely capable. If you have no taste for geeky
    >setup procedures, it might be tough to get it looking just how you want
    >but a whole lot can be done just from the web admin login control panel.
    >I'm sure there are bugs but if you follow their forums someone probably
    >has a fix for just about anything.

    Thanks Paul
    that is what I am thinking but actually, they are making great strides on G2 in
    that they are asking for gui programmers now since they seem to have most of the
    mods ready. G1 is now in 1.4.5 or thereabouts and as you say, they have on
    board one heckuva team... they claim to have 100,000 installs out there so it is
    not exactly a rare bird, and they do have a lot of forums and support in
    general. one thing I really like is the requirements page.
    that is awesome in that they frankly tell you which build of Apache can be used
    and which cannot, yada.

    I went ahead and downloaded it. Was the other called something like Post ///

    oh yes, how about the "developed versions" of gallery. they might have a lot of
    gui'ness to speed up the user friendliness of teh product.
    NukedGallery.net
    · XoopsGallery
    · JadeDragon's Skins

    kinda like all the versions of phpBB out there like FudForum, etc

    so, it might not be all that bad. I am really trying to recreate PhotoIsland
    and its predecessor PhotoPoint.

    thanks again

    --
    chas
    The new Canon DSLR elist. no trolls, etc

    , Feb 27, 2005
  5. Matt Ion Guest

    wrote:

    > has anyone tried or is presently using this software?
    > http://tinyurl.com/i3xz
    >
    > anything better and does everything this does???

    I use it extensively; it's really quite excellent. There's another I
    use called "dAlbum" (http://www.delx.ca/dalbum/) that's also nice, very
    small and efficient, but not with as many features. Gallery uses
    ImageMagik or NetPBM libraries for fast, quality image manipulation,
    whereas dAlbum uses standard PHP libs that are slower and don't resize
    as cleanly, but don't require additional utilities.

    Gallery also provides a registry plugin for Windows XP that allows you
    to use the Web Publishing wizard to upload pictures to it, as well as an
    excellent Java-based cross-platform upload utility.

    BTW, a better quick link to Gallery is http://gallery.menalto.com
    Matt Ion, Feb 28, 2005