    kinserlow at hotmail dot com
    homepage: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow
    webmaster: www.d16acbl.org/U197/index.html

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr., Jan 18, 2004

  2. Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

    mcp6453 Guest

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:

    > I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
    > Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
    > URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
    > investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
    > downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
    > but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
    > busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
    > know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
    > do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

    Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

    mcp6453, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

    NoOne Guest

    Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
    application.
    From the Gain website:
    Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?

    A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software that
    delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
    supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
    Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
    software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.

    NoOne, Jan 18, 2004
  4. Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

    NoOne Guest

    Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
    application.
    From the Gain website:

    NoOne, Jan 18, 2004
  5. On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:12:12 -0500, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
    >>
    >> I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
    >> Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
    >> URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
    >> investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
    >> downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
    >> but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
    >> busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
    >> know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
    >> do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

    >Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

    No, Gain is not in the Add/Remove Programs.

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    Lubbock, Texas

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr., Jan 19, 2004
  6. On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:55:33 GMT, "NoOne" <> wrote:

    >Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
    >application.
    >From the Gain website:
    >Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?
    >
    >A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software that
    >delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
    >supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
    >Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
    >software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.
    >

    >"mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    >> Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. wrote:
    >> >
    >> > I got some really noxious spyware/adware on my computer. It's called
    >> > Gain Adserver. Gain is an acronym for Gator something another. It's
    >> > URL is http://www.gainpublishing.com/index.html . Further
    >> > investigation revealed this garbage came as part of the DivX package I
    >> > downloaded recently. Now I don't want to uninstall the DivX package
    >> > but I want to get rid of this Gain crap. None of the spyware/adware
    >> > busters I have, Spybot or Spywareblaster, do the job. Does anyone
    >> > know of a spyware/adware buster that will get rid of this stuff? How
    >> > do you report an offensive spyware app to the Spybot people?

    >> Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove Programs?

    I'm trying to get around uninstalling the DivX package. Spyware
    buster programs will ordinarily do this for you, but Gain Adserver
    apparently hasn't been put into the updates.

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    Lubbock, Texas

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr., Jan 19, 2004
  7. Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

    Thor Guest

    "Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr." <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:55:33 GMT, "NoOne" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Looks like if you want to get rid of it you'll have to uninstall the divx
    > >application.
    > >From the Gain website:
    > >Q. Why isn't GAIN listed in the Add/Remove Programs window?
    > >
    > >A. While you cannot uninstall GAIN AdServer software (i.e. the software

    that
    > >delivers GAIN Network ads) directly, you can uninstall any/all GAIN
    > >supported applications at any time by using the Add/Remove Programs list.
    > >Once you have uninstalled all GAIN supported applications, GAIN AdServer
    > >software is designed to stop delivering advertising, and self uninstall.
    > >

    > >"mcp6453" <> wrote in message

    > >> Did you check to see if the program is installed in Add/Remove

    Programs?

    > I'm trying to get around uninstalling the DivX package. Spyware
    > buster programs will ordinarily do this for you, but Gain Adserver
    > apparently hasn't been put into the updates.

    Even if a spyware removal application such as Spybot or Adaware adds the
    detection routine necessary to remove the offending program, you must
    realize that it could very well cause your DivX package to be crippled in
    some way. I'm sure that the support to remove Gain will be added eventually,
    just keep checking the updates for each program, and run them each time
    there is an update. Just be prepared for negative consequences.

    Thor, Jan 19, 2004