G5 vs DSC-V1

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rich B, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Rich B

    Rich B Guest

    Hi All,

    I need some guidance in buying a digital camera to replace my 2megapixel
    "toy"

    I have narrowed my search down to 2 models - the G5 and the DSC-V1, however
    I have read mixed reviews from different magazines about both of these
    models and to be honest and none the wiser over which one to choose.

    A local camera shop told me that the canon g5 was prone to breaking and
    troubles with the screen - has anyone else had this issue?

    If anyone has any experience with either of these models and can offer good
    advice I would be extremely grateful

    Cheers

    Rich

    Rich B, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Rich B

    Andy B Guest

    I have a G5 and have been very pleased with it. I did have a G2, but sold it
    to my brother in law. The G2 did get some minor damage to the clasp that
    holds the LCD display, but it had no effect on function. The G5 seems more
    sturdy.

    I've found that the G5 does very well at macro stuff, but I use it for all
    sorts. Built in flash is good, but so is the fact that you can use a Canon
    Speedlite.

    Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

    You language suggests you are a Brit, if so then shop around as you can find
    some very cheap deals on the G5. I usually shop around and then get Jessops
    to price match. Bought a lot of stuff that way.

    Andy B, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Rich B

    Rich B Guest

    Thanks for the input

    I managed to find a G5 on its own for around £385 delivered in the uk which
    I thought was pretty decent (I didnt realise that jessops would price match
    internet prices?)

    Ive read about some "purple fringing" on some pictures - how aparent is this
    on your everyday "point and shoot" shot?

    Also - is it worth forking up the cash for the 1GB microdrive ? (i think the
    cheapest ive seen those is £140)

    Cheers

    Rich

    Rich B, Feb 11, 2004
  4. Rich B

    Andy B Guest

    I've had some stonking deals from Jessops. Bought a S50 today as a present
    for my mother in law and got a price match against Internet/mail order. They
    had to ring head office for authorisation, but were happy to help. I used
    the saving to help buy a 100mm 2.8 USM macro lens :)

    By the way, the S50 is a nice pocket camera. Basically the same features as
    the G5, but less glass.

    You can sometimes see the purple fringing in around areas of high contrast,
    but it is more visible on screen than it is in print. I have a picture that
    I took last weekend of some very pale flowers against a grey background. No
    fringing visible at all even after a tight crop and blow up, but a collegue
    at work took a picture of his (white) conservatory and the fringing was
    visible in places. It isn't something that worries me or which I have seen
    very often.

    Andy B, Feb 11, 2004
  5. Rich B

    Rich B Guest

    Did you bother buying the 1Gb microdrive? I found a deal on a site which
    for £560 you get the G5, 1gb microdrive, case and spare battery. also they
    offer a free 2 year guarantee - or I can buy the camera on its own for £439.

    Is it worth the money to go for the bundle of extras? (as the camera has a
    4 hour ish battery - is a spare really necessary?)

    Rich B, Feb 11, 2004
  6. "Rich B" <> wrote in message

    > Did you bother buying the 1Gb microdrive? I found a deal on a site which
    > for £560 you get the G5, 1gb microdrive, case and spare battery. also they
    > offer a free 2 year guarantee - or I can buy the camera on its own for

    £439.

    > Is it worth the money to go for the bundle of extras? (as the camera has

    > 4 hour ish battery - is a spare really necessary?)

    I beleive Jessies price match internet price ONLY if it's in stock AND once
    postage is added.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

    Martin Francis, Feb 11, 2004
  7. Rich B

    Zol. Guest

    My G5 had the bundled 1Gb microdrive and I also went for the extra battery - both come in
    very handy although a well charged canon battery does give enough charge for a couple of
    days photos

    Zol.

    Zol., Feb 12, 2004
  8. Rich B

    Rick Guest

    "Rich B" <> wrote in message

    > Did you bother buying the 1Gb microdrive? I found a deal on a site which
    > for £560 you get the G5, 1gb microdrive, case and spare battery. also they
    > offer a free 2 year guarantee - or I can buy the camera on its own for

    £439.

    > Is it worth the money to go for the bundle of extras? (as the camera has

    > 4 hour ish battery - is a spare really necessary?)

    We picked up a G5 for Christmas and from what I noticed most of the bundled
    offers appeared to have junky extras including some you may not need nor
    want.

    I highly recommend an extra battery, I'm very happy with the pricing and
    quality of the battery and external charger from Sterlingtech.com., and the
    extra 256 MB CF card along with the $17 CF card reader bought separately
    from Crucial.com. comes in very handy.
    Also the purple fringing that some comment on is rare but does appear in
    some pictures with varying intensity but IMHO doesn't happen often enough to
    complain about.

    Rick C

    Rick, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Rich B

    Andy B Guest

    I bought the microdrive when I bought the G2 so I haven't needed to get
    another one. The microdrive will store nearly 400 (from memory) pics in RAW
    format. If you get that many pictures on then the transfer software is going
    to take a while to deal with it. I have a PCMIA card adaptor in my home
    machine which is normally used for WiFi, but which I can also use to plug in
    the microdrive. My Tablet PC has a compact flash slot built in which is
    useful when transferring a lot of pics. If you have a laptop you may want
    hook up the camera and play with the remote capture software.

    I find the battery life to be very good. Following a bad experience with a
    battery in a Sony digicam I take the battery out of the camera after each
    use (it suggests you should do this in the manual). I also find that it has
    enough charge to not need to top up between outings which is handy as all of
    these batterys can only be recharged so many times.

    Andy B, Feb 12, 2004
  10. Rich B

    TonyK Guest

    I've had my G5 for 7 months now. No problems whatsoever. Great camera with
    superb picture quality.
    It's built quite well. Dunno about that breaking and screen issue.
    Purple fringing issue that pops up here and there is a rare occurence.
    I'd give it no further thought. The G5 has too many other "pluses".
    Battery life is absolutely fantastic too.
    No hesitation at recommending this model.

    Tony
    NSW Australia

    TonyK, Feb 12, 2004
  11. Rich B

    Rich B Guest

    Thanks for your help everyone - think ill get the credit card out now!

    Just out of interest - doesnt anyone have anything to say about the DSC-V1?

    Oh well.

    Cheers

    Rich

    Rich B, Feb 12, 2004
  12. I don't have much to contribute "best price" -wise, got my G5 from
    Jessops in November for £449, they had a deal on - £50 off 5 megapixewl
    cameras - although according to the website it has gone back up to
    £499.I have seen it as cheap as £399 elsewhere (amazon.co.uk currently
    has it for 419.49).

    In terms of accessories - you will definately need a bigger CF card. I
    got a PQI F1 40X 512 MB card from ebuyer.co.uk (speed doesnt really
    matter unlewss you have a card reader which I plan to get eventually) I
    had heard that Microdrives were more fragile (moving parts) and
    therefore less reliable than the standard CF so I steered clear, however
    Your Mileage May Vary.

    Cases can be had quite cheaply - I got a lowepro D-Res 25AW (camera is a
    snug fit but it does for me as I can get a spare CF and battery in there
    too, believe it or not!) for £10 with the camera.

    As for spare batteries - I got a hahnel BP511 replacement from
    Warehouseexpress.com -
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/photo/battpacks/hahnel.html . It came as
    part of a Package (DCL Powerstation) for £39.99 (with charger) Which I
    didnt think was too bad a deal since batteries are expensive on their
    own - Wanted a spare cos I got fed up lugging the canon charger around
    (I even left it behind once!) and the external charger has made life a
    lot easier....

    I would say its definately worth getting the accessories - whether it is
    good value to get them with the camera is open to debate and is up to
    you. If it were me, I'd find the camera as cheap as posible and build
    up from there.

    hope this helps

    Andrew

    Andrew McConville, Feb 15, 2004