    I would be most grateful for your comments.

    Thanks,

    Dave
    D O'Reilly, Jun 27, 2004

  2. (D O'Reilly) writes:
    > I have just bought a canon G5 , can anyone tell me how to take a
    > shot in auto mode that will have a full depth of field so that
    > everything is in focus, every shot i take seems to defalt to a small
    > f number giving me a small depth of field. I would be most grateful
    > for your comments.

    If you want a deep DOF, you can't shoot in fully auto mode - you need
    to use aperture priority: Turn the mode button to "Av", use the tiny
    wheel located in from of the shutter release to stop down to the
    smallest f-stop (largest f-number) - and you're set up for max DOF
    (this will not guarantee that /everything/ will be in focus, tho').

    Btw. the camera will still be "automatic" (sort off) - the AF will
    focus and the shutter time will be automaticlly adjusted to give you
    correct exposure. Pay attention to the shutter time. With the G5
    stopped down, if there is little light, you may have great DOF, but
    camera shake my ruin your result.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Jun 27, 2004

  3. Gisle Hannemyr <> writes:
    > (D O'Reilly) writes:
    >> I have just bought a canon G5 , can anyone tell me how to take a
    >> shot in auto mode that will have a full depth of field so that
    >> everything is in focus, every shot i take seems to defalt to a
    >> small f number giving me a small depth of field. I would be most
    >> grateful for your comments.

    > If you want a deep DOF, you can't shoot in fully auto mode - you need
    > to use aperture priority (Av mode).

    Btw, I just stumbled acoss a great webpage dealing with DOF:

    http://dfleming.ameranet.com/

    Among other things, it has a nifty omline DOF calculator at:

    http://dfleming.ameranet.com/dofjs.html

    Just select the G5 from the pull-down menu, and play with
    different focal lengths and apertures. For instance, try
    the following settings:

    Focal lenght: 7.2mm (widest wide angle on G5)
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Distance (set manually): 5.1 feet

    This setting (Av mode) should give you a DOF the stretches
    from 2.5 feet to infinity.

    The page also let you download DOF calculators (shareware) for
    Windows and Palm OS.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Jun 27, 2004