G5 flash question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eatmorepies, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    Isent this to Canon

    I intend to buy a G5 and want to know if my external flashguns will work
    with it. Neither is a Canon gun. They are a Cobra 440AF and an Osram AF282
    studio. Both work with my EOS 600 and my EOS 650. Regards John

    They replied

    We are sorry to inform you that Canon does not supply specifications to
    other manufacturers nor do we test with other manufacturers' products.
    Therefore, there is always the possibility that they will not interact
    properly with our cameras. Accordingly, in order to realize the maximum
    performance of this unit and thereby achieve the highest possible image
    quality, we recommend that you use Canon brand name accessories. They
    are designed and manufactured to match the special qualities of your
    Canon product.

    Has anyone here experience of either of these guns on a G5?

    John
    Eatmorepies, Dec 22, 2003

  2. Eatmorepies

    Mark B. Guest

    "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in message
    > Isent this to Canon
    >
    > I intend to buy a G5 and want to know if my external flashguns will work
    > with it. Neither is a Canon gun. They are a Cobra 440AF and an Osram AF282
    > studio. Both work with my EOS 600 and my EOS 650. Regards John
    >
    > They replied
    >
    > We are sorry to inform you that Canon does not supply specifications to
    > other manufacturers nor do we test with other manufacturers' products.
    > Therefore, there is always the possibility that they will not interact
    > properly with our cameras. Accordingly, in order to realize the maximum
    > performance of this unit and thereby achieve the highest possible image
    > quality, we recommend that you use Canon brand name accessories. They
    > are designed and manufactured to match the special qualities of your
    > Canon product.
    >

    > Has anyone here experience of either of these guns on a G5?
    >
    > John

    Read this: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/g1strobe.html

    If the trigger voltage is >6 volts and you fry your camera, you're out of
    luck. Also, unless either of these cameras has an independent auto
    (auto-thyristor) mode or full manual, all they'll do is fire at full power.
    Even if they're TTL compatible for Canon EOS, Canon digitals need E-TTL for
    through-the-lens auto flash.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 23, 2003

  3. Eatmorepies

    Jack Kurtz Guest

    Neither of these flashes will work with the G5, which uses the same
    flashes as the EOS Digital bodies. You should look into the Canon EX
    Speedlites (220EX, 420EX, 550EX) The 550 is very expensive and very
    large. The 220 is the cheapest with the smallest feature set. The 420
    is a nice compromise and under $200. Good balance of power, size
    bounce tilt head and works with Canons very slick wireless TTL system.

    jack

    Jack Kurtz, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Eatmorepies

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Neither of these flashes will work with the G5, which uses the same
    > flashes as the EOS Digital bodies. You should look into the Canon EX
    > Speedlites (220EX, 420EX, 550EX) The 550 is very expensive and very
    > large. The 220 is the cheapest with the smallest feature set. The 420
    > is a nice compromise and under $200. Good balance of power, size
    > bounce tilt head and works with Canons very slick wireless TTL system.
    >
    > jack

    You don't know that neither will work. As long as they are auto flashes
    and don't have a high trigger voltage, they should both work just fine.
    You just won't have E-TTL flash metering.

    --
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Dec 23, 2003