    for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.

    Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    any rumors.

    L.S, Jan 22, 2004

  2. > Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.

    It depends on if the application was written to be aware of dual
    processors. I have an MDD 867 that moves pretty nice with PhotoShop,
    but PhotoShop is multi-processor aware.
    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 22, 2004

  3. L.S

    Jim Polaski Guest

    In article <>,
    (L.S) wrote:

    > Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.
    >
    > Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    > any rumors.

    It would depend if Capture One 3 is multi-processor aware and tuned to
    use the G5

    --
    Regards,
    JP
    Jim Polaski, Jan 22, 2004
  4. L.S

    Jim Polaski Guest

    In article <>,
    (L.S) wrote:

    > Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.
    >
    > Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    > any rumors.

    oops, I forgot to ask, why wouldn't you use the Adobe RAW plug-in with
    pre CS Photoshop or just the CS Photoshop which includes the RAW plugin?

    Jim Polaski, Jan 22, 2004
  5. L.S

    John Guest

    Jim Polaski wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > (L.S) wrote:
    >
    >> Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    >> G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    >> you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    >> for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.
    >>
    >> Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    >> any rumors.
    >>

    > oops, I forgot to ask, why wouldn't you use the Adobe RAW plug-in with
    > pre CS Photoshop or just the CS Photoshop which includes the RAW
    > plugin?

    Because he is not an idiot like you Jimbo.
    John, Jan 22, 2004
  6. L.S

    Alan Baker Guest

    In article <>,
    (L.S) wrote:

    > Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.

    Why not call the company that makes it and ask...

    > Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    > any rumors.

    The best guess is January 24; the actual 20th anniversary of the
    Macintosh.

    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Alan Baker, Jan 22, 2004
  7. L.S

    Alan Baker Guest

    In article <>,
    "John" <> wrote:

    > Jim Polaski wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > (L.S) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > >> G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > >> you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > >> for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.
    > >>
    > >> Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    > >> any rumors.
    > >>

    > > oops, I forgot to ask, why wouldn't you use the Adobe RAW plug-in with
    > > pre CS Photoshop or just the CS Photoshop which includes the RAW
    > > plugin?

    > Because he is not an idiot like you Jimbo.

    That would be an "on-topic" response typical for you, Johnny...

    Alan Baker, Jan 22, 2004
  8. Jim Polaski wrote:
    > (L.S) wrote:
    >
    >>Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    >>G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    >>you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    >>for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.

    > It would depend if Capture One 3 is multi-processor aware and tuned to
    > use the G5

    Or, whether you can run two instances of Capture One 3 at the
    same time, each on a different file. That's the poor-man's
    version of multi-threading. :)

    Duke
    Duke Robillard, Jan 22, 2004
  9. L.S

    Jim Polaski Guest

    In article <>,
    "John" <> wrote:

    > Jim Polaski wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > (L.S) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > >> G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > >> you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > >> for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.
    > >>
    > >> Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    > >> any rumors.
    > >>

    > > oops, I forgot to ask, why wouldn't you use the Adobe RAW plug-in with
    > > pre CS Photoshop or just the CS Photoshop which includes the RAW
    > > plugin?

    > Because he is not an idiot like you Jimbo.

    It's a far better question than anything you've said WinWeasel.
    Of course your comment is more Weaseling.

    Jim Polaski, Jan 22, 2004
  10. L.S

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 22 Jan 2004 07:44:40 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    (L.S) wrote:

    >Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    >G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    >you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    >for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.

    Not a Mac person, but I have seen a review which said to stay away from the
    single processor systems if possible as the design of the MB and/or chipset
    was such that even compared to single processor use on the dual processor
    boards it was noticeably slower.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Jan 22, 2004
  11. "L.S" <> wrote in message
    > Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.
    >
    > Also does anyone know when the quicker G5 are suppose to be released
    > any rumors.

    Bet you £1 to $1 the processor wouldn't make as much difference as extra
    RAM. Personally the only time I notice my new AMD 2600+ being quicker than
    my old 1200+ is when rendering 3D in Maya and playing games.

    --
    Here lies the late Martin Francis
    He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss
    Martin Francis, Jan 22, 2004
  12. L.S

    Martik Guest

    > Bet you £1 to $1 the processor wouldn't make as much difference as extra
    > RAM. Personally the only time I notice my new AMD 2600+ being quicker than
    > my old 1200+ is when rendering 3D in Maya and playing games.

    Multitasking requires more ram to avoid using swap space, Cpu intensive
    tasks require faster processors to complete sooner.
    Martik, Jan 22, 2004
  13. In article <>, Ed Ruf
    <EG*nospam*> wrote:

    > Not a Mac person, but I have seen a review which said to stay away from the
    > single processor systems if possible as the design of the MB and/or chipset
    > was such that even compared to single processor use on the dual processor
    > boards it was noticeably slower.

    Any chance you remember where that article was? The general wisdom is
    that dual processor Macs are about 80% faster than single - for
    applications that support dual processors. If not, the advantage is
    much less.

    My personal experience has borne this out; and in fact the single
    processor units seem to be a bit more stable, even now.

    Of course, it's hard to compare "Apples to Apples" in this case; the
    single processor computers sometimes have other cist cutting features
    that reduce performance. A good comparison would be the single and dual
    1.8 GHz G5's as there are no architectural differences.
    Scott Schuckert, Jan 22, 2004
  14. In article <>, Ed Ruf
    <EG*nospam*> wrote:

    > >Hi does anyone know if a dual G5 1.8ghz is quicker than a Single CPU
    > >G5 1.8ghz, especialy for using a Program called Capture One 3. When
    > >you have to proccess the files from .RAW files to .tiffs. As i work
    > >for a digital studio and need to process these files each day.

    The Phase One website has a downloadable PDF file thar states:

    "Multiprocessing: The Capture One software supports multiprocessing.
    When installed on dual processor platforms, image processing time is
    reduced considerably."
    Scott Schuckert, Jan 22, 2004
  15. > Bet you £1 to $1 the processor wouldn't make as much difference as extra
    > RAM. Personally the only time I notice my new AMD 2600+ being quicker than
    > my old 1200+ is when rendering 3D in Maya and playing games.

    You expect performance from an AMD?
    Randall Ainsworth, Jan 23, 2004
  16. "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > Bet you £1 to $1 the processor wouldn't make as much difference as extra
    > > RAM. Personally the only time I notice my new AMD 2600+ being quicker

    than
    > > my old 1200+ is when rendering 3D in Maya and playing games.

    > You expect performance from an AMD?

    Nope, I get performance from an AMD.

    Martin Francis, Jan 23, 2004
  17. L.S

    Guest

    Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*> wrote:
    > Not a Mac person, but I have seen a review which said to stay away from the
    > single processor systems if possible as the design of the MB and/or chipset
    > was such that even compared to single processor use on the dual processor
    > boards it was noticeably slower.

    Right, the dual processor G5 models have a faster front-side bus
    and can accept more RAM. Even if the software in question is only
    aware of a single processor, the OS can offload some of its processing
    to the second processor. In addition, single processor G5 Macs are
    not upgradable to dual processors so their expandability is limited.
    , Jan 25, 2004