G5-166 turns off after POST - Help please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tiny Tim, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. Tiny Tim

    Tiny Tim Guest

    My girlfriend's PC has started playing up. It's a Gateway G5-166 so pretty
    old - 7-8 years perhaps. It basically works but frequently when booting up
    the machine will get well into the POST, certainly after the memory check is
    complete, and then suddenly the whole machine just turns itself off. This
    happened today, probably 10 times in a row.

    I tried again and pressed F1 to go into BIOS setup, changed nothing and then
    exited, saving (non-existent) changes. It then continued to boot perfectly.
    A couple of hours later I needed to use the machine again and powered it up.
    Same thing - failed to boot, retied with F1, save and then it booted fine.

    Does this imply a failed motherboard battery or something else? I'm not a
    hardware techy although I have added more memory to take it from 32MB to
    256MB but I'm not sure about doing other mods. The problem does not seem
    related to the memory upgrade, as that was performed a couple of years ago
    and the boot problem has only been occurring in the last couple of months.
    If it is the battery, how easy is it to fix?

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

    --
    Email replies will not be read. Please reply to newsgroup.
    For my PlusNet referral please click here http://tinyurl.com/r4ho

    Tiny Tim, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Tiny Tim

    °Mike° Guest

    Check that all of the fans are operating correctly; clean out
    the inside of the box with a can of compressed air; check for
    overheating; check for bad RAM.

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 15:23:43 +0100, in
    <bne1de$10ivns$-berlin.de>
    Tiny Tim scrawled:

    >My girlfriend's PC has started playing up. It's a Gateway G5-166 so pretty
    >old - 7-8 years perhaps. It basically works but frequently when booting up
    >the machine will get well into the POST, certainly after the memory check is
    >complete, and then suddenly the whole machine just turns itself off. This
    >happened today, probably 10 times in a row.
    >
    >I tried again and pressed F1 to go into BIOS setup, changed nothing and then
    >exited, saving (non-existent) changes. It then continued to boot perfectly.
    >A couple of hours later I needed to use the machine again and powered it up.
    >Same thing - failed to boot, retied with F1, save and then it booted fine.
    >
    >Does this imply a failed motherboard battery or something else? I'm not a
    >hardware techy although I have added more memory to take it from 32MB to
    >256MB but I'm not sure about doing other mods. The problem does not seem
    >related to the memory upgrade, as that was performed a couple of years ago
    >and the boot problem has only been occurring in the last couple of months.
    >If it is the battery, how easy is it to fix?
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 25, 2003

  3. Tiny Tim

    PC Gladiator Guest

    I'd replace the battery first (as well as a good cleaning). Usually a piece
    of cake to do.

    PC Gladiator, Oct 25, 2003
  4. Tiny Tim

    Ben Myers Guest

    Definitely replace the motherboard's C2032 3v coin-sized Lithium battery. It
    should cost no more than $2 or $3.

    Next on my suspect list is the power supply. After a good cleanout of all the
    dust bunnies, of course... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 25, 2003