G2 troublesome at night

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jim Kelly, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    Reading here, many of you love the Canon G2.

    I can indeed get great shots when all is well . . but at night
    (typically at 21st birthday parties, etc) I get two horrid problems
    that I would appreciate advice on:

    1. Despite holding the shutter down halfway to lock the focus, the
    G2 can take forever to fire when finally fully depressed.

    2. Perhaps the same? Many of the photos are of very poor quality,
    quite blurred, presumably out of focus, but notably lacking detail.
    I can usually see the focussing light on the subject, and look to be
    sure that this is appropriate before closing the shutter.

    I note that an external flash has been often recommended, but if my
    trouble is with focusing, can I expect a better flash to solve these
    issues?

    I trust someone can shed some light on these matters (sorry!)?

    Cheers,

    Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Jim Kelly

    Bruce Watson Guest

    Have had mine for over two years. Great camera, always with me when not
    carrying my full bag and 10D.

    I have not experienced the problems you mention, although I typically use a
    380EX external flash rather than the internal. You may want to have your
    camera serviced.

    Many of my shots are for work shooting retail store interior scenes. Very
    reliable for that. Have also used it extensively for family and vacation
    shots. Even by campfire light, the focus has been generally accurate.

    My only real beef with the G2 is the shutter lag time. Definitely not an
    'action' camera.

    BTW, the 380 is no longer in production, but often can be found at good
    prices on Ebay. Far less sophisticated than the 550, but tons of power for
    the G2.

    That may solve the focusing problem for you.

    Bruce Watson, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Jim Kelly

    JH Guest

    I, too, have a G2 and find it to be no good. I was looking for a point &
    shoot to take around when I did not want to use my professional equipment.
    The G2 was not the answer. Most photos are out of focus and blurry. The
    photos are noisy above ISO 50 and, when on automatic, the camera
    continuously chooses an aperture like f2.2 or something in that ball park.
    I'd like to sell this thing and get something else. When you find a way to
    get some use out of this thing, please post the answer on this newsgroup.

    JH, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Jim Kelly wrote:
    > Reading here, many of you love the Canon G2.
    >
    > I can indeed get great shots when all is well . . but at night
    > (typically at 21st birthday parties, etc) I get two horrid problems
    > that I would appreciate advice on:
    >
    > 1. Despite holding the shutter down halfway to lock the focus, the
    > G2 can take forever to fire when finally fully depressed.
    >
    > 2. Perhaps the same? Many of the photos are of very poor quality,
    > quite blurred, presumably out of focus, but notably lacking detail.
    > I can usually see the focussing light on the subject, and look to be
    > sure that this is appropriate before closing the shutter.
    >
    > I note that an external flash has been often recommended, but if my
    > trouble is with focusing, can I expect a better flash to solve these
    > issues?
    >
    > I trust someone can shed some light on these matters (sorry!)?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Jim Kelly

    What focus and exposure modes are you using? I would suggest you try different
    focus modes to begin with. I get the best results by using center-weight (I
    think). My camera performs worst when in the fully auto mode. I have a Kodak DX6490.

    Ben Thomas
    Melbourne, Australia

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    | What focus and exposure modes are you using? I would suggest you
    try different
    | focus modes to begin with. I get the best results by using
    center-weight (I
    | think). My camera performs worst when in the fully auto mode. I
    have a Kodak DX6490.

    | --
    | --
    | Ben Thomas
    | Melbourne, Australia

    Yep, the auto mode only takes photos when it is sure to get a good
    result, else it just hangs and drives it's subjects crazy.
    I tend to use the P mode.

    Jim Kelly, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    Try P mode, it helped sort some of these issues out for me (but
    lousy at night).

    Jim

    "JH" <> wrote in message
    | I, too, have a G2 and find it to be no good. I was looking for a
    point &
    | shoot to take around when I did not want to use my professional
    equipment.
    | The G2 was not the answer. Most photos are out of focus and
    blurry. The
    | photos are noisy above ISO 50 and, when on automatic, the camera
    | continuously chooses an aperture like f2.2 or something in that
    ball park.
    | I'd like to sell this thing and get something else. When you find
    a way to
    | get some use out of this thing, please post the answer on this
    newsgroup.

    | "Jim Kelly" <> wrote in
    message

    Jim Kelly, Jan 28, 2004
  7. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    Thanks Bruce,

    The lag bugs me too and seems much worse at night. What settings do
    you typically use when not using the flash?

    I did look to buy a 420 but baulked at the price. Perhaps a 380 is
    the answer!

    Cheers,

    Jim

    "Bruce Watson" <> wrote in message
    | Have had mine for over two years. Great camera, always with me
    when not
    | carrying my full bag and 10D.
    |
    | I have not experienced the problems you mention, although I
    typically use a
    | 380EX external flash rather than the internal. You may want to
    have your
    | camera serviced.
    |
    | Many of my shots are for work shooting retail store interior
    scenes. Very
    | reliable for that. Have also used it extensively for family and
    vacation
    | shots. Even by campfire light, the focus has been generally
    accurate.

    | My only real beef with the G2 is the shutter lag time. Definitely
    not an
    | 'action' camera.
    |
    | BTW, the 380 is no longer in production, but often can be found at
    good
    | prices on Ebay. Far less sophisticated than the 550, but tons of
    power for
    | the G2.
    |
    | That may solve the focusing problem for you.
    | "Jim Kelly" <> wrote in
    message

    Jim Kelly, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Hi JH,

    Part of the problem Jim and yourself are having is that the Canon's do not
    have a focus-assist lamp (as my Sony S85 has), and by Bruce using the
    dedicated 380 Speedlite, its infra-red beam solves this low-light issue.

    So if you have the chance try out your G2's in a local camera store with a
    suitable speedlite and see if there is a difference, which of course there
    should be.

    As to Ben's Kodak, I don't think it has a dedicated flash unit, only auto,
    so there is no focus assist there. Mind you, it does have a pc socket for
    studio kits with modelling lights, but kind of hard to get into your pocket
    ;-)

    Cheers,
    Stephen

    Stephen Leslie, Jan 28, 2004
  9. Jim Kelly

    Jim Kelly Guest

    My G2 definitely sends a blueish beam when the shutter is half
    depressed. I always assumed that this was a focus-assist beam! The
    problems that I am having do seem to be with the auto focus,
    especially (I suspect) if the subject is moving (even slightly).

    What do you think?

    Jim

    Jim Kelly, Jan 28, 2004