G2 accessories? Is it too late?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve Wilbur, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Steve Wilbur

    Steve Wilbur Guest

    It seems like I just got a G2 and already there is a G3 and G5. Good
    grief. It doesn't bother me to not have the latest and the greatest, but I
    was somewhat diappointed to see on Canon's site that the G3 and G5 use a
    different lens adaptor and a different set of tele and wide-angle lenses.

    My question is - will these "new" items work on the G2, or did they
    actually change something that keeps the new ones from working, meaning I
    have to try to find the old ones, or some other alternative?

    On that note - if anyone has suggestions for better non-canon G2
    alternatives for a tele-converter and/or wide-angle lens, I'll take that
    info too. Of course, it's useful to point out what/why its better, pricing
    info, where to buy, etc. etc. :)

    On that note - why the hell is the waterproof enclosure for the Gx series
    of cameras always insanely more than the same thing for other canon
    cameras? I can't imagine it's that much more to manufacture. Is there
    something more to it besides, "you pay more for the camera, so we figure
    you got more bucks to burn on this too"?

    Thanks!
    -sw
    Steve Wilbur, Jul 14, 2003

  2. (Steve Wilbur) writes:
    >It seems like I just got a G2 and already there is a G3 and G5. Good
    >grief. It doesn't bother me to not have the latest and the greatest, but I
    >was somewhat diappointed to see on Canon's site that the G3 and G5 use a
    >different lens adaptor and a different set of tele and wide-angle lenses.

    That's at least partially because the G3/G5 use a different lens design,
    with 4X zoom instead of the 3X found on the G1/G2. Plus the adapter
    mount changed from screw thread to bayonet. Sometimes progress is like
    that.

    >My question is - will these "new" items work on the G2, or did they
    >actually change something that keeps the new ones from working, meaning I
    >have to try to find the old ones, or some other alternative?

    The new adapter won't work on the G2 - see note about bayonet mount
    above. The new tele/wide auxiliary lenses might work fine, or they
    might not. They're only officially designed for the later cameras,
    but only Canon knows if they are really different from the earlier
    ones.

    >On that note - why the hell is the waterproof enclosure for the Gx series
    >of cameras always insanely more than the same thing for other canon
    >cameras? I can't imagine it's that much more to manufacture. Is there
    >something more to it besides, "you pay more for the camera, so we figure
    >you got more bucks to burn on this too"?

    That's probably part of it. But it does need to be a bunch larger for
    the larger body and lens stickout, and there are also more buttons on
    the G-series that you have to be able to push from outside. Every
    button needs a reasonably complex waterproofed mechanism to operate it.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Steve Wilbur

    Steve Wilbur Guest

    > That's at least partially because the G3/G5 use a different lens design,
    > with 4X zoom instead of the 3X found on the G1/G2. Plus the adapter
    > mount changed from screw thread to bayonet. Sometimes progress is like
    > that.

    Ah, I see. What do you mean, a "bayonet" ?

    > That's probably part of it. But it does need to be a bunch larger for
    > the larger body and lens stickout, and there are also more buttons on
    > the G-series that you have to be able to push from outside. Every
    > button needs a reasonably complex waterproofed mechanism to operate it.

    Well, I understand that. But it just seems like the complexity/cost ratio
    difference is out of whack. :)
    Steve Wilbur, Jul 14, 2003
  4. Steve Wilbur

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Jul 14, 2003
  5. (Steve Wilbur) writes:

    >Ah, I see. What do you mean, a "bayonet" ?

    Most 35 mm SLR systems use bayonet-mount lenses. You align the lens in
    a particular orientation, insert it into the lens mount, and then rotate
    a fraction of a turn to lock it into place. I assume that Canon's lens
    adapter for the G3/G5 is similar.

    Basically, it's a lot faster than a screw mount, because you turn it
    only a fraction of a turn, rather than several turns.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Steve Wilbur

    Steve Wilbur Guest

    In article <bf03tg$8uf$>, (Dave
    Martindale) wrote:
    > >Ah, I see. What do you mean, a "bayonet" ?

    > Most 35 mm SLR systems use bayonet-mount lenses. You align the lens in
    > a particular orientation, insert it into the lens mount, and then rotate
    > a fraction of a turn to lock it into place. I assume that Canon's lens
    > adapter for the G3/G5 is similar.
    >
    > Basically, it's a lot faster than a screw mount, because you turn it
    > only a fraction of a turn, rather than several turns.

    Ah, OK. I was envisioning some kind of knife-like thing you use to stab
    your subjects. :)
    Steve Wilbur, Jul 15, 2003