    I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens at
    the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around, does
    anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

    leo, Sep 6, 2004

  2. leo <> wrote:

    > I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens
    > at the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around,
    > does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

    What an amazingly trivial reason for rejecting a camera....

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

    Louise Bremner, Sep 6, 2004

  3. leo

    Mark B. Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message
    >I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens at
    >the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around,
    >does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

    You didn't even try another camera? This is hardly the norm. My G1 lenscap
    still stays on after several years of use.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 7, 2004
  4. leo

    leo Guest

    I have a G-1 and you are right my lens cap on my G-1 stay on better than my
    X-G-5. Good thing I did not sell it yet.

    leo, Sep 7, 2004
  5. Mark B. <> wrote:

    > "leo" <> wrote in message
    > >I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens
    > >at the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked
    > >around, does anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.
    > >

    > You didn't even try another camera? This is hardly the norm. My G1
    > lenscap still stays on after several years of use.

    This feature was added to the G-series some time after the G1--possibly
    because of all the complaints from owners about the error message that
    occurs if you try to turn on the G1 with the lens cap is on. My G3 has
    the looser cap, but by that time I'd discovered the advantages of a
    LensMate adapter so it didn't bother me.

    Louise Bremner, Sep 7, 2004
  6. leo

    leo Guest

    What is a LensMate Adapter? I understand the reason now for having a loose
    lens cap now, but when you have your camera over your shoulder, any light
    bump, or light handling will loosen the lens cap off without anyone knowing
    it, thus getting your lens glass dirty and open to the elements.

    leo, Sep 7, 2004
  7. leo <> top-posted:

    > "Louise Bremner" <> wrote in message
    > > Mark B. <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> My G1 lenscap still stays on after several years of use.

    > > This feature was added to the G-series some time after the G1--possibly
    > > because of all the complaints from owners about the error message that
    > > occurs if you try to turn on the G1 with the lens cap is on. My G3 has
    > > the looser cap, but by that time I'd discovered the advantages of a
    > > LensMate adapter so it didn't bother me.

    > What is a LensMate Adapter?

    <http://www.lensmateonline.com/g3.html>

    (They say they'll have one for the G6 in late September.)

    > I understand the reason now for having a loose lens cap now...

    Um.... Note that I wasn't totally serious about the reason for the
    change....

    > ...but when you have your camera over your shoulder, any light bump, or
    > light handling will loosen the lens cap off without anyone knowing it,
    > thus getting your lens glass dirty and open to the elements.

    That can happen even when you are shooting, which is why I liked the
    idea of the Lensmate adaptor plus a filter of some sort (even a
    plain-glass one).

    Louise Bremner, Sep 7, 2004
  8. leo

    leo Guest

    Does this mean that you can turn on your camera without the lens cap due to
    lensmate? Or should I ask, you do not have to worry about a lenscap because
    when you turn you cam on the lens extends inside lensmate?

    leo, Sep 7, 2004
  9. leo

    Mark B. Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message

    > Does this mean that you can turn on your camera without the lens cap due
    > to lensmate? Or should I ask, you do not have to worry about a lenscap
    > because when you turn you cam on the lens extends inside lensmate?

    Exactly. Keep the LensMate attached, with or w/o a skylight or UV filter,
    and an accessory lens cap - you'll never have to worry about the Canon cap.
    The lens extends inside the LensMate. So not only does it give you options
    to attach filters & accessory lenses, it protects the lens mechanism.

    Mark

    Mark B., Sep 7, 2004
  10. Dave Martindale <> wrote:

    > "leo" <> writes:
    >
    > >Does this mean that you can turn on your camera without the lens cap due to
    > >lensmate? Or should I ask, you do not have to worry about a lenscap because
    > >when you turn you cam on the lens extends inside lensmate?

    > That's right. You can use a locking lens cap if you want. Even if you
    > don't use a filter, the LensMate provides room for the lens to extend
    > without hitting anything. It also provides mechanical protection for
    > the lens; bumping the LensMate simply transfers the shock to the camera
    > body instead of the rather more fragile lens barrel getting bumped.
    >
    > The Canon filter adapter tube also does this, but Canon's tubes are
    > plastic while the LensMate is machined aluminum (and thus sturdier).

    ....and the LensMate also comes in a narrower version.

    Louise Bremner, Sep 8, 2004
  11. leo

    ittsy Guest

    "leo" <> wrote in message news:<oi5%c.8082$>...
    > I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens at
    > the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around, does
    > anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

    Seriously, don't let something like that keep you from buying a
    camera. They sell third party lens caps that are known to fit better.
    Search Google and thee shall find!

    Rose

    ittsy, Sep 9, 2004
  12. leo

    Aguyathome Guest

    >"leo" <> wrote in message
    >> I returned my G-5 powershot because the lens cap would fall off the lens at

    >> the slightest movement and thus exposing my lens while I walked around,

    >does
    >> anyone know if the G-6 corrected this problem.

    >Seriously, don't let something like that keep you from buying a
    >camera. They sell third party lens caps that are known to fit better.
    >Search Google and thee shall find!
    >
    >Rose

    I wonder about that. I'd like to meet the camera dealer who'll take back a used
    camera just because of something as silly as the lens cap falling off. Sounds
    kinda petty to me. I've used G3s and G5s at work for the past 2 years or so and
    love them. The cap on the G3 used to pop off automatically when I turned the
    power on so I'd just get lazy and let the camera pop it off for me, but the G5
    fits so tight that the camera will lock up and shut down if I try that.

    Take care,
    JD

    Aguyathome, Sep 9, 2004