    with it with no prior experience and no reading of the manual. This camera
    has a "Simple Mode" that seems to be worth looking at for casual users.
    I'll post some shots on my site in a few days.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 28, 2005

  2. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Arrived two days ago, so this is preliminary:
    >
    > 1/ Very small and light but too big for most pockets.
    > 2/ Easy to use but the menus are a bit tedious.
    > 3/ IS works well, even at full zoom.
    > 4/ Good exposures and mostly good focus, so far.
    > 5/ Flash works well, so far.
    > 6/ Image quality is very good.
    > 7/ Response time/on time/focus lock time ... all good.
    > 8/ LCD viewer above average.
    > 9/ EVF only OK ... useable but not much more.
    > 10/ Look and feel are both good.
    >
    > A last comment: My wife took it last night and shot some very nice
    > photos with it with no prior experience and no reading of the
    > manual. This camera has a "Simple Mode" that seems to be worth
    > looking at for casual users. I'll post some shots on my site in a
    > few days.

    Good to hear another happy customer of the FZ5.

    I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But, now
    the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to compare that
    one to the FZ5.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Apr 28, 2005

  3. > I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But, now
    > the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to compare that
    > one to the FZ5.

    I decided to vote NO on another Canon product and that's one reason why I
    bought the FZ5. My 20D locks up frequently and Canon seems to be in denial
    about this problem. The FZ5 is a nice family camera and my 20D is my
    serious camera. I have a Canon 100-400 lens and like how close the FZ5
    comes to this lens with wildlife shots.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in

    >> I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But,
    >> now the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to
    >> compare that one to the FZ5.

    > I decided to vote NO on another Canon product and that's one reason
    > why I bought the FZ5. My 20D locks up frequently and Canon seems
    > to be in denial about this problem. The FZ5 is a nice family
    > camera and my 20D is my serious camera. I have a Canon 100-400
    > lens and like how close the FZ5 comes to this lens with wildlife
    > shots.

    Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone says
    to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that bad?

    I'm not a professional, so I'm not always looking for the most
    incredible pictures.

    When I get mine, I'm gonna have to run a series of test shots.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Goals are deceptive. The unaimed arrow never misses.

    Eric Babula, Apr 29, 2005
  5. Charles Schuler

    measekite Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:

    >"Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Arrived two days ago, so this is preliminary:
    >>
    >>1/ Very small and light but too big for most pockets.
    >>2/ Easy to use but the menus are a bit tedious.
    >>3/ IS works well, even at full zoom.
    >>4/ Good exposures and mostly good focus, so far.
    >>5/ Flash works well, so far.
    >>6/ Image quality is very good.
    >>7/ Response time/on time/focus lock time ... all good.
    >>8/ LCD viewer above average.
    >>9/ EVF only OK ... useable but not much more.
    >>10/ Look and feel are both good.
    >>
    >>A last comment: My wife took it last night and shot some very nice
    >>photos with it with no prior experience and no reading of the
    >>manual. This camera has a "Simple Mode" that seems to be worth
    >>looking at for casual users. I'll post some shots on my site in a
    >>few days.
    >>

    >Good to hear another happy customer of the FZ5.
    >
    >I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But, now
    >the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to compare that
    >one to the FZ5.

    Me too. I was disheartened reading the PC Mag Review. It was not
    favorable and differed from all of the other reviews I read. I would
    like to see a review of the S2 from PC Mag.

    The issue with the S2 is that is does not come in black. I think that
    the black models are nicer. If the reviews of the S2 and the Z5 are
    close than I would get the black FZ5. If the S2 is far superior I will
    have to compromise.

    measekite, Apr 29, 2005
  6. Charles Schuler

    measekite Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:

    >"Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    >

    >>>I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But,
    >>>now the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to
    >>>compare that one to the FZ5.
    >>>

    >>I decided to vote NO on another Canon product and that's one reason
    >>why I bought the FZ5. My 20D locks up frequently and Canon seems
    >>to be in denial about this problem. The FZ5 is a nice family
    >>camera and my 20D is my serious camera. I have a Canon 100-400
    >>lens and like how close the FZ5 comes to this lens with wildlife
    >>shots.
    >>

    >Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone says
    >to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that bad?
    >
    >I'm not a professional, so I'm not always looking for the most
    >incredible pictures.
    >
    >When I get mine, I'm gonna have to run a series of test shots.

    If you use it you are giving up resolution. You can do similar things
    in Photoshop.

    measekite, Apr 29, 2005
  7. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    measekite <> wrote in

    > Eric Babula wrote:
    >
    >>"Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>Arrived two days ago, so this is preliminary:
    >>>
    >>>1/ Very small and light but too big for most pockets.
    >>>2/ Easy to use but the menus are a bit tedious.
    >>>3/ IS works well, even at full zoom.
    >>>4/ Good exposures and mostly good focus, so far.
    >>>5/ Flash works well, so far.
    >>>6/ Image quality is very good.
    >>>7/ Response time/on time/focus lock time ... all good.
    >>>8/ LCD viewer above average.
    >>>9/ EVF only OK ... useable but not much more.
    >>>10/ Look and feel are both good.
    >>>
    >>>A last comment: My wife took it last night and shot some very
    >>>nice photos with it with no prior experience and no reading of the
    >>>manual. This camera has a "Simple Mode" that seems to be worth
    >>>looking at for casual users. I'll post some shots on my site in a
    >>>few days.
    >>>

    >>Good to hear another happy customer of the FZ5.
    >>
    >>I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But,
    >>now the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to
    >>compare that one to the FZ5.
    >>

    > Me too. I was disheartened reading the PC Mag Review. It was not
    > favorable and differed from all of the other reviews I read. I
    > would like to see a review of the S2 from PC Mag.
    >
    > The issue with the S2 is that is does not come in black. I think
    > that the black models are nicer. If the reviews of the S2 and the
    > Z5 are close than I would get the black FZ5. If the S2 is far
    > superior I will have to compromise.

    Like someone else already mentioned in another thread, I think I would
    trust the digital camera websites before I'd trust pcmagazine's review.
    PCMagazine deals mostly with computers. Overall, the FZ5 has been
    getting very good reviews.

    I'm sure you've already checked out dpreview.com, steves-digicams.com,
    dcresrource.com, megapixel.net, imaging-resource.com, and
    digitalcamerainfo.com.

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Beauty is internal. Looks mean nothing.

    Eric Babula, Apr 29, 2005
  8. Charles Schuler

    Kitt Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in

    snipped

    > Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone

    says
    > to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that bad?
    >
    > I'm not a professional, so I'm not always looking for the most
    > incredible pictures.
    >
    > When I get mine, I'm gonna have to run a series of test shots.

    If you don't have any kind of photo processing software, download
    Picasa 2 and move the magnification slider around on a decent picture.
    Watch what happens as the subject gets bigger. Digital zoom does
    exactly the same thing in camera. Optical zoom gives you top clarity
    at whatever focal length you shoot it and you can do the "digital zoom"
    on your desktop in Picasa or whatever post processing you choose in
    order to crop or make adjustments. I guess the best way to describe
    digital zoom is digital enlargement. You get all the same problems you
    get with any enlargement when you go past a certain point. Optical
    zoom = best quality. Digital zoom = reduced or worst quality.

    Kitt, Apr 29, 2005
  9. > Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone says
    > to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that bad?

    No, I never use it. It's bad because the same thing can be done later in
    post-processing (with better control). Always use optical zoom.

    Charles Schuler, Apr 29, 2005
  10. Charles Schuler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > Eric Babula wrote:
    >
    >> "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    >>

    >>> Arrived two days ago, so this is preliminary:
    >>>
    >>> 1/ Very small and light but too big for most pockets.
    >>> 2/ Easy to use but the menus are a bit tedious.
    >>> 3/ IS works well, even at full zoom.
    >>> 4/ Good exposures and mostly good focus, so far.
    >>> 5/ Flash works well, so far.
    >>> 6/ Image quality is very good.
    >>> 7/ Response time/on time/focus lock time ... all good.
    >>> 8/ LCD viewer above average.
    >>> 9/ EVF only OK ... useable but not much more.
    >>> 10/ Look and feel are both good.
    >>>
    >>> A last comment: My wife took it last night and shot some very nice
    >>> photos with it with no prior experience and no reading of the
    >>> manual. This camera has a "Simple Mode" that seems to be worth
    >>> looking at for casual users. I'll post some shots on my site in a
    >>> few days.
    >>>

    >> Good to hear another happy customer of the FZ5.
    >>
    >> I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But, now
    >> the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to compare that
    >> one to the FZ5.
    >>

    > Me too. I was disheartened reading the PC Mag Review. It was not
    > favorable and differed from all of the other reviews I read. I would
    > like to see a review of the S2 from PC Mag.
    >
    > The issue with the S2 is that is does not come in black. I think that
    > the black models are nicer. If the reviews of the S2 and the Z5 are
    > close than I would get the black FZ5. If the S2 is far superior I will
    > have to compromise.

    Well you could buy a can of black spray paint. Grin.
    I find the lighter colors better for my climate, but whatever lights
    your LED. Grin.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  11. Charles Schuler

    Eric Babula Guest

    "Kitt" <> wrote in

    > Eric Babula wrote:
    >> "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    >>

    > snipped
    >

    >> Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone
    >> says to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really
    >> that bad?
    >>
    >> I'm not a professional, so I'm not always looking for the most
    >> incredible pictures.
    >>
    >> When I get mine, I'm gonna have to run a series of test shots.

    > If you don't have any kind of photo processing software, download
    > Picasa 2 and move the magnification slider around on a decent
    > picture. Watch what happens as the subject gets bigger.

    Does the magnification slider mess up a ,tif as much as a .jpg?

    --
    Eric Babula
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

    Eric Babula, Apr 29, 2005
  12. Charles Schuler

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:
    > "Kitt" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Eric Babula wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Charles Schuler" <> wrote in
    >>>

    >>snipped
    >>

    >>>Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone
    >>>says to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really
    >>>that bad?
    >>>
    >>>I'm not a professional, so I'm not always looking for the most
    >>>incredible pictures.
    >>>
    >>>When I get mine, I'm gonna have to run a series of test shots.

    >>If you don't have any kind of photo processing software, download
    >>Picasa 2 and move the magnification slider around on a decent
    >>picture. Watch what happens as the subject gets bigger.

    > Does the magnification slider mess up a ,tif as much as a .jpg?

    Yes, and no. You still get 'pixelation', but at least it doesn't have
    any compression artifacts to magnify....

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Apr 29, 2005
  13. Charles Schuler

    measekite Guest

    Eric Babula wrote:

    >measekite <> wrote in
    >

    >>Eric Babula wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Charles Schuler" <> wrote in

    >>>Good to hear another happy customer of the FZ5.
    >>>
    >>>I'm most likely going to buy one, when the prices drop a bit. But,
    >>>now the Canon S2 IS is coming out, and I'll probably have to
    >>>compare that one to the FZ5.
    >>>

    >>Me too. I was disheartened reading the PC Mag Review. It was not
    >>favorable and differed from all of the other reviews I read. I
    >>would like to see a review of the S2 from PC Mag.
    >>
    >>The issue with the S2 is that is does not come in black. I think
    >>that the black models are nicer. If the reviews of the S2 and the
    >>Z5 are close than I would get the black FZ5. If the S2 is far
    >>superior I will have to compromise.
    >>

    >Like someone else already mentioned in another thread, I think I would
    >trust the digital camera websites before I'd trust pcmagazine's review.
    >PCMagazine deals mostly with computers. Overall, the FZ5 has been
    >getting very good reviews.
    >
    >I'm sure you've already checked out dpreview.com, steves-digicams.com,
    >dcresrource.com, megapixel.net, imaging-resource.com, and
    >digitalcamerainfo.com.

    Yes and that is why I cannot understand PCMAG. They say the FZ20 is
    good and the FZ5 is not. That seems weird to me. But I do want to wait
    and see how the Canon S2 fits in. I really do not want silver.

    measekite, Apr 30, 2005
  14. On 29 Apr 2005 13:17:44 GMT, Eric Babula <>
    wrote:

    >Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone says
    >to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that bad?

    Eric,

    not bad, but not good either. The digital zoom has no advantage
    whatsoever, so you're losing exactly nothing if you keep it
    switched off.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, May 1, 2005
  15. Charles Schuler wrote:
    >> Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone
    >> says to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that
    >> bad?

    > No, I never use it. It's bad because the same thing can be done
    > later in post-processing (with better control). Always use optical
    > zoom.

    In general, I agree, but there is a limited set of circumstances where it
    /may/ be useful. This is when you are using JPEG compression, when the
    in-camera digital zoom picture (keep to just 2:1 zoom exactly, no more, no
    less), may suffer less from JPEG compression artefacts than interpolating
    after the JPEG compression. (I have measured this on at least one
    camera). But I would not recommend digital zoom for normal use.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 1, 2005
  16. On Sun, 01 May 2005 19:17:57 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote:

    >Charles Schuler wrote:

    >>> Just out of curiosity: Do you ever use the digital zoom? Everyone
    >>> says to just ignore the digital zoom on a camera. Is it really that
    >>> bad?

    >> No, I never use it. It's bad because the same thing can be done
    >> later in post-processing (with better control). Always use optical
    >> zoom.

    >In general, I agree, but there is a limited set of circumstances where it
    >/may/ be useful. This is when you are using JPEG compression, when the
    >in-camera digital zoom picture (keep to just 2:1 zoom exactly, no more, no
    >less), may suffer less from JPEG compression artefacts than interpolating
    >after the JPEG compression. (I have measured this on at least one
    >camera). But I would not recommend digital zoom for normal use.

    David,

    interesting aspect! However, there is a slight logical flaw in
    the argumentation. If the photographer thought that JPEG
    artefacts are a problem, why then would he even own a camera
    that makes these unavoidable?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, May 2, 2005
  17. Hans-Georg Michna wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 19:17:57 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    > wrote:

    >>> No, I never use it. It's bad because the same thing can be done
    >>> later in post-processing (with better control). Always use optical
    >>> zoom.

    >> In general, I agree, but there is a limited set of circumstances
    >> where it /may/ be useful. This is when you are using JPEG
    >> compression, when the in-camera digital zoom picture (keep to just
    >> 2:1 zoom exactly, no more, no less), may suffer less from JPEG
    >> compression artefacts than interpolating after the JPEG compression.
    >> (I have measured this on at least one camera). But I would not
    >> recommend digital zoom for normal use.

    > David,
    >
    > interesting aspect! However, there is a slight logical flaw in
    > the argumentation. If the photographer thought that JPEG
    > artefacts are a problem, why then would he even own a camera
    > that makes these unavoidable?
    >
    > Hans-Georg

    I think you would find it difficult to buy a camera /without/ JPEG these
    days! I certainly use JPEG as my routine save format simply because of
    the smaller file size. I've since found a much better solution to having
    to use digital zoom, though - I bought a Panasonic FZ5 where (to
    paraphrase) "432mm zoom ought to be enough for anyone".

    <G>

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 2, 2005
  18. On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:44:51 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote:

    >I think you would find it difficult to buy a camera /without/ JPEG these
    >days! I certainly use JPEG as my routine save format simply because of
    >the smaller file size. I've since found a much better solution to having
    >to use digital zoom, though - I bought a Panasonic FZ5 where (to
    >paraphrase) "432mm zoom ought to be enough for anyone".

    David,

    congratulations! Yes, the 12x zoom makes the digital zoom even
    more unnecessary.

    I'm pretty close to swap my FZ1-2 for an FZ5 as well, but I'll
    just wait a little bit longer. But anyway, I like that lens a
    lot.

    Please see www.michna.com/kenya2004/ for photo samples.

    Hans-Georg

    --