    goodies plus made it even more portable and with hi-res 2.5 LCD like
    the better D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30
    has?
    maestro, Apr 1, 2006

  2. On 1 Apr 2006 11:01:47 -0800, maestro <> wrote:
    > I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check
    > the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had
    > to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe it was
    > almost mirroring the specs of panasonics highly rated FZ22/30 series
    > only with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler
    > which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera
    > by a long shot..no pun intended. ;)
    >
    > To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your
    > goodies plus made it even more portable and with hi-res 2.5 LCD like
    > the better D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30
    > has?

    First off, you should be comparing the TZ1 to the FZ5/7 not the 20/30.
    The bigger cameras have a bunch of extra features like a flash hot shoe,
    zoom and focus rings on the lens (FZ30) and a higher pixel-count
    sensor (FZ30).

    That said, the TZ1 lacks a couple of things compared to the FZ series.
    There don't seem to be any manual controls, so if you care about
    manually setting the aperture, shutter speed, or focus, you'll need the
    higher-end camera. It's a slighlty less powerful zoom lens, and the lens
    is noticeably slower (smaller aperture) (f/4.2 for the TZ1, f/3.3 for
    the FZ5/7). There's no viewfinder, vs. the electronic viewfinder on the
    FZ series.

    The flip side is that the TZ1 is cheaper than the FZ7 and quite a bit
    smaller/lighter.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Apr 1, 2006

  3. maestro

    maaestro Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:
    > First off, you should be comparing the TZ1 to the FZ5/7 not the 20/30.
    > The bigger cameras have a bunch of extra features like a flash hot shoe,
    > zoom and focus rings on the lens (FZ30) and a higher pixel-count
    > sensor (FZ30).
    >
    > That said, the TZ1 lacks a couple of things compared to the FZ series.
    > There don't seem to be any manual controls, so if you care about
    > manually setting the aperture, shutter speed, or focus, you'll need the
    > higher-end camera. It's a slighlty less powerful zoom lens, and the lens
    > is noticeably slower (smaller aperture) (f/4.2 for the TZ1, f/3.3 for
    > the FZ5/7). There's no viewfinder, vs. the electronic viewfinder on the
    > FZ series.

    The above was the argument for the FZ30 in the first place *except* the
    TZ1 is more portable,the above attributes is what makes the FZ30 almost
    D-dSLR-like but larger and less portable though certainly a richer
    camera. I agree,it was a streach to compare with
    the more pro fz30

    > The flip side is that the TZ1 is cheaper than the FZ7 and quite a bit
    > smaller/lighter.

    It was the options like world-time-calender/history,leading edge venus
    III engine/motherboard which amoungst other things allows recording up
    to ISO 800 in full resolution and other advantages, also OIS mode1 and
    especially 2..an impressive list for a camera in any league but
    especially in this size. A mini-review gushed it will be one of
    Panasonics crown jewels,I suspicions it may.
    maaestro, Apr 2, 2006
  4. maestro

    Dan Guest

    maestro wrote:
    > I was 1-click from ordering the FZ30 at BH but wanted to double check
    > the pana web site support area...then I read about the new TZ1,I had
    > to read the discription several time's since I couldn't believe it was
    > almost mirroring the specs of panasonics highly rated FZ22/30 series
    > only with a smaller footprint. I think the T in the TZ means Traveler
    > which seems quite appropriate but this ain't your mom's pocket camera
    > by a long shot..no pun intended. ;)
    >
    > To all the F22/30 lucky users,the TZ1 seems to have adopted all your
    > goodies plus made it even more portable and with hi-res 2.5 LCD like
    > the better D-SLRs. If I purchase,what will I be missing that the F30
    > has?

    I agree with what was said by other posters. I'm an owner of FZ30 and
    must say that the swirly LCD is priceless. My friend who i go and take
    pictures with has a Fuji e550, a very capable camera in it's own right,
    always has problem getting a good a angle when compositing his shots.
    With FZ30 LCD you get great freedom. And EVF is great too that can save
    some battery life. Another feature that Fuji e550 is missing. There are
    other models in FZ range that be looked at, like FZ5.
    Dan, Apr 4, 2006