FYI XP SP2 Blocking ends in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pcbutts1, Apr 1, 2005.

  1. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    I received this email from Microsoft about SP2 blocking.

    From Microsoft:

    Also, please make sure you understand the nature of the change occurring
    April 12 to systems that have blocked Windows XP SP2. We've mentioned it
    many times, but I think it bears a little extra explanation this one last
    time. The upcoming change affects only PCs for which system administrators
    have used a special "DoNotAllowXPSP2" registry key to temporarily disable
    delivery of Windows XP SP2 so that they could have more time to plan for
    deployment. Although Windows XP SP2 installation was blocked, other critical
    security updates were delivered through Automatic Updates and Windows
    Update.

    On April 12, the temporary blocking capability of this registry key expires,
    and SP2 will be automatically delivered to systems not already updated --
    unless the systems are managed using a corporate update management solution
    such as Systems Management Server 2003 or the new Windows Server Update
    Services (available now as a release candidate). In such cases, updates may
    be configured for optional delivery from a server under the IT
    administrator's complete control.

    pcbutts1, Apr 1, 2005