    after so many seconds. The device would trigger the other house phones
    to ring like normal. Maybe this could be done with a modem and
    software?
    alex wright, Oct 10, 2004

  2. alex wright

    Soren Rathje Guest

    alex wright wrote:
    > I have an idea of a voip gateway box. I guess you would call it that.
    > I don't think this device exist yet.
    >
    > You could call from your cell phone or another local number to your
    > voip line. It would pickup and give you a fake ring to enter an access
    > code. After the correct access code, you would get get a simulated
    > dial tone or beep. Then you would enter the long distance number you
    > want to call. The voip line would then use three-way calling to call
    > the number you just entered. When your done with the connected call
    > you could punch a special tone sequency to disconnect all connections.
    >
    > This would be a way to make a free long distance call from a cell
    > maybe that you can make free local calls on. Also, when you fist call
    > in and don't enter the special security access code to use the device
    > after so many seconds. The device would trigger the other house phones
    > to ring like normal. Maybe this could be done with a modem and
    > software?

    Asterisk will do that for you, investigate the AGI scripting language or just make a simple dialplan.
    Saw this today.. Complete Debian+Asterisk install (beta) on a CD http://www.xorcom.com/rapid/

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk Connecting to the Cellular Network

    <quote>
    The cellular capable device you attach might be.

    A regular cell phone
    Via some home brew adaptor
    USB, Bluetooth, etc
    Analog patch cables to sound card
    Via some commercial cell to traditional phone adaptor
    Note that one of these has a serial line controller option

    A PCMIA cellular card
    More home brew to get the analog connection

    A "Fixed Cellular Terminal" - i.e. a device intended for this.
    </quote>

    /Soren
    Soren Rathje, Oct 10, 2004

  3. alex wright

    Kyler Laird Guest

    (alex wright) writes:

    >I have an idea of a voip gateway box. I guess you would call it that.
    >I don't think this device exist yet.

    The SPA-3000 should handle this on its own. I'm not good enough with
    its dialplans to know though.

    The term used for this idea is apparently "port converter".
    http://store.voxilla.com/customer/home.php?cat=250

    --kyler
    Kyler Laird, Oct 11, 2004
  4. alex wright

    RC Guest

    I guess it depends on what country you're in, but I haven't see a cell plan
    in a long time that does not include free long distance and local calls are
    per-minute (which you would still have to pay) so where is the savings?

    RC, Oct 13, 2004