FX5200 Series video card problem..

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BaxTer, Dec 3, 2003.

  1. BaxTer

    BaxTer Guest

    Hello, I am having alot of trouble getting my new FX5200 video
    card to work. Everything works find until I try to run something that
    requires DirectX9 Display such as a game or a video clip and then the
    system locks up. I've tried 2 different brands of FX5200 (MSI and
    Gainward) and both lock up the same way.

    Before the lockup the mouse pointer animation would stop but the
    mouse would continue to be moved around for a short time until there's a
    single BEEP and then everything locks up.

    I have totally removed the old drivers via Safe Mode and deleting
    all references to the old card in the registry and formatted and
    reinstalled everything fresh when that didn't work out with the same
    results. I was told by an MSI tech that the power supply might not be
    compatible with the card so I replaced the power supply to an Allied 400
    watt and still it locks up so its obviously none of the possible causes
    I've mentioned above.

    Tech info:

    Mobo: KT2 Combo / CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
    Video card: MSI FX5200 128 mb DDR
    OS: XP Pro, DirectX9b

    Any ideas?

    BaxTer, Dec 3, 2003

  2. BaxTer

    °Mike° Guest

    Have you tried running DirectX diagnostics?
    Have you checked for overheating?

    On 3 Dec 2003 17:56:17 GMT, in
    <bql841$rk7$0@65.17.189.185>
    BaxTer scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2003

  3. BaxTer

    BaxTer Guest

    °Mike° <> wrote in

    > Have you tried running DirectX diagnostics?
    > Have you checked for overheating?
    >

    > On 3 Dec 2003 17:56:17 GMT, in
    > <bql841$rk7$0@65.17.189.185>
    > BaxTer scrawled:
    >
    >> Hello, I am having alot of trouble getting my new FX5200
    >> video
    >>card to work. Everything works find until I try to run something that
    >>requires DirectX9 Display such as a game or a video clip and then the
    >>system locks up. I've tried 2 different brands of FX5200 (MSI and
    >>Gainward) and both lock up the same way.
    >>
    >> Before the lockup the mouse pointer animation would stop but
    >> the
    >>mouse would continue to be moved around for a short time until there's
    >>a single BEEP and then everything locks up.
    >>
    >> I have totally removed the old drivers via Safe Mode and
    >> deleting
    >>all references to the old card in the registry and formatted and
    >>reinstalled everything fresh when that didn't work out with the same
    >>results. I was told by an MSI tech that the power supply might not be
    >>compatible with the card so I replaced the power supply to an Allied
    >>400 watt and still it locks up so its obviously none of the possible
    >>causes I've mentioned above.
    >>
    >>Tech info:
    >>
    >>Mobo: KT2 Combo / CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
    >>Video card: MSI FX5200 128 mb DDR
    >>OS: XP Pro, DirectX9b
    >>
    >>Any ideas?

    Heat is normal, and DirectX diagnostics for Display also causes lock ups.

    BaxTer, Dec 3, 2003
  4. BaxTer

    IC Guest

    BaxTer wrote:
    > Hello, I am having alot of trouble getting my new FX5200 video
    > card to work. Everything works find until I try to run something that
    > requires DirectX9 Display such as a game or a video clip and then the
    > system locks up. I've tried 2 different brands of FX5200 (MSI and
    > Gainward) and both lock up the same way.
    >
    > Before the lockup the mouse pointer animation would stop but the
    > mouse would continue to be moved around for a short time until
    > there's a single BEEP and then everything locks up.
    >
    > I have totally removed the old drivers via Safe Mode and deleting
    > all references to the old card in the registry and formatted and
    > reinstalled everything fresh when that didn't work out with the same
    > results. I was told by an MSI tech that the power supply might not be
    > compatible with the card so I replaced the power supply to an Allied
    > 400 watt and still it locks up so its obviously none of the possible
    > causes I've mentioned above.
    >
    > Tech info:
    >
    > Mobo: KT2 Combo / CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
    > Video card: MSI FX5200 128 mb DDR
    > OS: XP Pro, DirectX9b
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Are you using the current display driver, version 52.16:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_52.16

    IC, Dec 3, 2003
  5. BaxTer

    °Mike° Guest

    On 3 Dec 2003 18:15:28 GMT,
    in message <bql980$u5a$0@65.17.189.185>,
    BaxTer <> scrawled:

    >°Mike° <> wrote in
    >
    >> Have you tried running DirectX diagnostics?
    >> Have you checked for overheating?
    >>

    >> On 3 Dec 2003 17:56:17 GMT, in
    >> <bql841$rk7$0@65.17.189.185>
    >> BaxTer scrawled:
    >>
    >>> Hello, I am having alot of trouble getting my new FX5200
    >>> video
    >>>card to work. Everything works find until I try to run something that
    >>>requires DirectX9 Display such as a game or a video clip and then the
    >>>system locks up. I've tried 2 different brands of FX5200 (MSI and
    >>>Gainward) and both lock up the same way.
    >>>
    >>> Before the lockup the mouse pointer animation would stop but
    >>> the
    >>>mouse would continue to be moved around for a short time until there's
    >>>a single BEEP and then everything locks up.
    >>>
    >>> I have totally removed the old drivers via Safe Mode and
    >>> deleting
    >>>all references to the old card in the registry and formatted and
    >>>reinstalled everything fresh when that didn't work out with the same
    >>>results. I was told by an MSI tech that the power supply might not be
    >>>compatible with the card so I replaced the power supply to an Allied
    >>>400 watt and still it locks up so its obviously none of the possible
    >>>causes I've mentioned above.
    >>>
    >>>Tech info:
    >>>
    >>>Mobo: KT2 Combo / CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
    >>>Video card: MSI FX5200 128 mb DDR
    >>>OS: XP Pro, DirectX9b
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?

    >Heat is normal, and DirectX diagnostics for Display also causes lock ups.

    First of all, check the web site for your video card, for any
    patches that may be available - some cards don't run well
    with DirectX 9.

    You could also try reducing the hardware acceleration on
    your card, by a notch or two.

    As a last resort, depending on your OS, there are DirectX
    uninstallers out there if you search for them. DirectX 9
    may actually be the problem, or at least part of it.

    --
    Basic Computer Maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2003
  6. BaxTer

    BaxTer Guest

    "IC" <> wrote in news:RNpzb.4045$oe4.1276886
    @news2.news.adelphia.net:

    > BaxTer wrote:
    >> Hello, I am having alot of trouble getting my new FX5200 video
    >> card to work. Everything works find until I try to run something that
    >> requires DirectX9 Display such as a game or a video clip and then the
    >> system locks up. I've tried 2 different brands of FX5200 (MSI and
    >> Gainward) and both lock up the same way.
    >>
    >> Before the lockup the mouse pointer animation would stop but the
    >> mouse would continue to be moved around for a short time until
    >> there's a single BEEP and then everything locks up.
    >>
    >> I have totally removed the old drivers via Safe Mode and deleting
    >> all references to the old card in the registry and formatted and
    >> reinstalled everything fresh when that didn't work out with the same
    >> results. I was told by an MSI tech that the power supply might not be
    >> compatible with the card so I replaced the power supply to an Allied
    >> 400 watt and still it locks up so its obviously none of the possible
    >> causes I've mentioned above.
    >>
    >> Tech info:
    >>
    >> Mobo: KT2 Combo / CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
    >> Video card: MSI FX5200 128 mb DDR
    >> OS: XP Pro, DirectX9b
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > Are you using the current display driver, version 52.16:
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_52.16

    Driver are up to date but I think øMikeø maybe correct in there being a
    problem with my system not liking directx 9b with my system. Although
    there was no problems with the old Annhilator Pro card with it.

    BaxTer, Dec 3, 2003
  7. BaxTer

    IC Guest

    BaxTer wrote:
    > "IC" <> wrote in news:RNpzb.4045$oe4.1276886
    > @news2.news.adelphia.net:
    >
    >> BaxTer wrote:
    >>> Hello, I am having alot of trouble getting my new FX5200 video
    >>> card to work. Everything works find until I try to run something
    >>> that requires DirectX9 Display such as a game or a video clip and
    >>> then the system locks up. I've tried 2 different brands of FX5200
    >>> (MSI and Gainward) and both lock up the same way.
    >>>
    >>> Before the lockup the mouse pointer animation would stop but the
    >>> mouse would continue to be moved around for a short time until
    >>> there's a single BEEP and then everything locks up.
    >>>
    >>> I have totally removed the old drivers via Safe Mode and
    >>> deleting all references to the old card in the registry and
    >>> formatted and reinstalled everything fresh when that didn't work
    >>> out with the same results. I was told by an MSI tech that the power
    >>> supply might not be compatible with the card so I replaced the
    >>> power supply to an Allied 400 watt and still it locks up so its
    >>> obviously none of the possible causes I've mentioned above.
    >>>
    >>> Tech info:
    >>>
    >>> Mobo: KT2 Combo / CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
    >>> Video card: MSI FX5200 128 mb DDR
    >>> OS: XP Pro, DirectX9b
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?

    >> Are you using the current display driver, version 52.16:
    >> http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_52.16
    >>

    > Driver are up to date but I think øMikeø maybe correct in there being
    > a problem with my system not liking directx 9b with my system.
    > Although there was no problems with the old Annhilator Pro card with
    > it.

    That was going to be my second recommendation. Something with the DX9
    install must be hosed. Your system, hardware and OS wise, should have
    no problem.
    You can try re-installing DX9 without removing first and if that doesn't
    work, un-install and install it, as Mike suggested.

    IC, Dec 3, 2003
  8. BaxTer

    BaxTer Guest

    Update:

    Went an exchanged the FX5200 for a PNY FX5700 Verto and have
    the same problems. I discovered that the display properties were
    set to 8-bit 640x480 and everything worked perfect but if I
    switched to 32bit 1024x768, the crashes would return as usual. Also
    running a video at that res would cause the player to not run but
    the mouse would move around for a min, then I would hear a single
    beep and windows would lock up but I can view video clips if I
    Disable all DirectDraw and Direct3D in the display properties.

    At this point I am inclined to think theres a mobo (MSI KT2
    Combo) or a memory problem as I've reinstalled drivers multiple
    times both in windows and Safe modes including a format clean
    install.

    Any other ides I should consider?

    BaxTer, Dec 5, 2003