    I was thinking of buying either the Budgetone 101 or the Handytone 486 but
    cannot dcide and require guidance on pros/cons?

    Amer

    G Amer, Jun 14, 2004

  2. G Amer

    Psychomation Guest

    Stumbling out on on Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:42:49 +0100, G Amer blithered:

    > I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
    > equipment wise?

    The best way would be to download X-Lite, an excellent and free SIP
    software client. Play with FWD, which is free until you're happy enough
    with it to warrant buying hardware.

    I own a Grandstream BT 101 and a 102 and they've worked fine for me for
    months.

    hth

    Psychomation, Jun 14, 2004

  3. "G Amer" <> writes:
    > I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
    > equipment wise?
    >
    > I was thinking of buying either the Budgetone 101 or the Handytone 486 but
    > cannot dcide and require guidance on pros/cons?

    Get the Bugdetone. ATA's are a bit of a hack-job. They require the
    ATA electronics to needlessly convert the nice 4-wire signal to a
    2-wire signal in order to deliver it to the analog phone. The analog
    phone then has to split the signal again with another identical
    transformer in reverse. Each of these conversions contribute to
    far-end echo.

    Strangely the Bugetone can be had cheaper that the Handytone. I'm not
    sure why that is.

    BTW. Cisco has some nice whitepapers on their site about the
    challenges of interoperating VOIP with POTS. In short, calling a POTS
    line from VOIP virtually guarantees you'll get an objectionable echo
    and need to remove it in software. The more you do to eliminate
    far-end echos the better. I can't find the Cisco reference, but this
    has some of the same info:

    http://www.iec.org/online/tutorials/voice_qual/topic06.html

    -wolfgang
    New toy: Voice over ip phone. Sounds much better than an analog phone.
    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/voip.html

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Jun 14, 2004
  4. G Amer wrote:

    > I would like to get onto FWD what is the best way to start on FWD ..
    > equipment wise?
    >
    > I was thinking of buying either the Budgetone 101 or the Handytone 486 but
    > cannot dcide and require guidance on pros/cons?
    >
    > Amer

    One of the concerns that I encountered and have avoided is not to use any
    end device that is not cordless. For instance, I setup FWD with kphone on a
    Linux system that uses the existing audio/sound system. If I just attached
    the headset, I would not be able to mobile while talking through FWD calls.
    Instead, I have attached an old Internet Phone device called VoiceNet that
    interfaces the audio ports from a soundcard to an RJ-11 port with a
    cordless phone. That way, while taking FWD calls, I am not attached to the
    computer and can easily mobile around the house within the range of my
    cordless phone.

    --
    root/administrator

    root/administrator, Jun 22, 2004