    What are the pros and cons of Skype/FWD. I would like a technology whereby
    I can travel worldwide. I also need to look at costs v quality.

    Amer

    G Amer, Jul 2, 2004

  2. G Amer

    Juan Guest

    > What are the pros and cons of Skype/FWD. I would like a technology
    whereby
    > I can travel worldwide. I also need to look at costs v quality.

    I have tried both, FWD is SIP based (standard) and Skype have propietary
    protocol.

    I have both installed in my laptop, with WIFI internet access, without any
    problem.

    If you travel with laptop or PDA, you can try and decide.

    For FWD I recommend you a softphone like i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
    there is a special version for FWD.

    Both systems work fine behind NAT, but Skype is very easy to install, you
    call free PC-PC, and to standard phones (pay), the sound quality is very
    good, and the comunications are encrypted.

    Juan

    Juan, Jul 2, 2004

  3. G Amer

    Steve Guest

    "Juan" <> wrote> For FWD I recommend you a softphone like
    i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
    > there is a special version for FWD.

    Can you use FWD with dial up internet???

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 7, 2004
  4. Steve wrote:

    > "Juan" <> wrote> For FWD I recommend you a softphone like
    > i.e: Sjphone from www.sjlabs.com ,
    >> there is a special version for FWD.
    >>

    > Can you use FWD with dial up internet???
    >
    > Steve

    I have occasionally skyped with a dial-up user. The only problem I noticed
    is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though s/he
    can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides good
    audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.

    --
    root/administrator

    root/administrator, Jul 7, 2004
  5. G Amer

    Steve Guest

    "root/administrator" < wrote The only problem I noticed
    > is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though s/he
    > can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides good
    > audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.

    My questin was whether it is possible to use FWD over dial-up?

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Steve wrote:

    > "root/administrator" < wrote The only problem I noticed
    >> is the choppiness in incoming audio from the dial-up user even though
    >> s/he can hear me clear. I suspect the default Skype CoDec that provides
    >> good audio systems is not meant for a dial-up usage. YMMV.
    >>

    > My questin was whether it is possible to use FWD over dial-up?
    >
    > Steve

    Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

    --
    root/administrator

    root/administrator, Jul 8, 2004
  7. G Amer

    Steve Guest

    "root/administrator" <> wrote >
    > Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

    Sorry, Hope not to be rude... But I am intending to use FWD but would like
    to know if and how can It be used under dial-up internet access. I have a
    friend in a country where there is NO broadban and only dial-up. They hope
    to have broadband in 12 months time though and therfore we felt that FWD
    would be fine if it cud be used. Do you know ho wthis could be achieved.

    Steve

    Steve, Jul 8, 2004
  8. G Amer

    Ian Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message

    > "root/administrator" <> wrote >
    > > Oh, you want a shorter answer and it is possible.

    > Sorry, Hope not to be rude... But I am intending to use FWD but would like
    > to know if and how can It be used under dial-up internet access. I have a
    > friend in a country where there is NO broadban and only dial-up. They

    hope
    > to have broadband in 12 months time though and therfore we felt that FWD
    > would be fine if it cud be used. Do you know ho wthis could be achieved.
    >

    > Steve

    IF you are happy with VVVV poor speech even on the GSM codec.
    It seems to need at least 64K, I tried lsat week with a freind on dial up to
    my * box and it was V choppy

    Ian

    Ian, Jul 14, 2004