    Is there or has anyone carried out an pros and cons analysis between FWD and
    Skype?

    Sidkney

    SidKnee, Mar 4, 2005

  2. SidKnee

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    SidKnee <> wrote:
    > Is there or has anyone carried out an pros and cons analysis between FWD and
    > Skype?

    Ordinarily people would pay big bucks for a technology industry analysis
    paper but what the hey, I'm in a good mood so you get it for free:

    Skype:

    Pro: It's really easy to set up.
    Cons: Requires using a PC and headset, or gizmos to connect a phone
    directly to a PC
    Doesn't interconnect with anyone else, so you have to pay Skype rates
    No way to receive incoming calls from non-Skype users

    FWD etc:

    Con: Harder to get going
    Pros: You can use almost any equipment
    You can, in various ways, connect with almost anyone (except Skype)
    You can really do anything you can imagine as long as you have the
    time to work it out
    You can shop around for the best rates for termination.

    miguel
    --
    Hit The Road! Photos from 35 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
    Latest photos: Malaysia, Israel, Palestine, Austria, Thailand

    Miguel Cruz, Mar 4, 2005

  3. SidKnee

    Martin² Guest

    You omitted to mention where you are, but I spy a ukgateway, in which case
    the answer to you question
    is NEITHER.
    Your best bet is www.sipgate.co.uk principally because you get a FREE
    incoming UK geographical No. of your choice,
    there is no rental, and you can call almost any SIP based VoIP number
    anywhere for free.
    Calls to POTS lines cost just 1.12p / min anytime to UK and most of the
    first world.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Mar 5, 2005
  4. SidKnee

    BlueRinse Guest

    On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 16:55:33 +0000, SidKnee wrote:

    > Is there or has anyone carried out an pros and cons analysis between FWD
    > and Skype?

    Skype has little to do with SIP or IAX voIP service because it calls
    directly to the peer and uses proprietary protocol so can only talk to
    other Skype software. In that way, Skype is closed to the world of
    other voIP users while using voIP technology.

    On a practical level, Skype has shown again and again that it can provide
    better quality calls even on dialup, and is easier to set up than any
    existing SIP/IAX product to set up.

    BlueRinse, Mar 12, 2005