(fwd) heh worms etc.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Dyer, Aug 23, 2005.

  1. John Dyer

    John Dyer Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:44:44 +1200, steve wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:49:03 +1200, steve
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
    >>>Xandros Linux 3.0.
    >>>
    >>>They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
    >>>to use.
    >>>
    >>>They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

    >> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    > ...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    > wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
    >
    > That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

    Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
    January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
    distro).
    The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
    express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
    Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
    into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!

    A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!

    John
    John Dyer, Aug 23, 2005

  2. John Dyer

    shannon Guest

    John Dyer wrote:
    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:44:44 +1200, steve wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:

    >>>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >>>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >>>run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    >>...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    >>wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
    >>
    >>That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

    > Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
    > January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
    > distro).
    > The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
    > express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
    > Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
    > into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
    >
    > A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
    >
    > John

    tragic
    Its a pity your hardware vendor hasn't provide you with the resources
    you need.
    shannon, Aug 24, 2005

  3. John Dyer

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:16:33 +1200, John Dyer <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:44:44 +1200, steve wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
    >>> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
    >>> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

    >> ...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    >> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
    >>
    >> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

    >Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
    >January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
    >distro).
    >The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
    >express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
    >Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
    >into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
    >
    >A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
    >
    >John

    Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.
    Bret, Aug 24, 2005
  4. John Dyer

    John Dyer Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:09 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:16:33 +1200, John Dyer <>
    > wrote:

    >>> ...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
    >>> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
    >>>
    >>> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

    >>Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
    >>January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
    >>distro).
    >>The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
    >>express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
    >>Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
    >>into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
    >>
    >>A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
    >>
    >>John

    > Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

    Any particular group? there are quite a few
    John Dyer, Aug 25, 2005
  5. John Dyer

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:55:12 +1200, John Dyer <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:09 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:16:33 +1200, John Dyer <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
    >>>January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
    >>>distro).
    >>>The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
    >>>express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
    >>>Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
    >>>into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
    >>>
    >>>A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
    >>>
    >>>John

    >> Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

    >Any particular group? there are quite a few

    linux.kernel
    http://groups.google.co.nz/group/li...q=VT6410 linux&rnum=1&hl=en#d0290004b8fe9607

    Or
    comp.os.linux.hardware

    Here's a driver for SuSE Linux, Fedora Core Linux, Red Hat Linux and
    Mandrake / Mandriva, not sure about the source though.

    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=19&CatID=2190&SubCatID=116
    Bret, Aug 26, 2005
  6. John Dyer

    John Dyer Guest

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:57:43 +1200, Bret wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:55:12 +1200, John Dyer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:09 +1200, Bret wrote:

    >>> Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

    >>Any particular group? there are quite a few

    > linux.kernel
    > http://groups.google.co.nz/group/li...q=VT6410 linux&rnum=1&hl=en#d0290004b8fe9607
    >
    > Or
    > comp.os.linux.hardware
    >
    > Here's a driver for SuSE Linux, Fedora Core Linux, Red Hat Linux and
    > Mandrake / Mandriva, not sure about the source though.
    >
    > http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=19&CatID=2190&SubCatID=116

    Thanks for that Brett, I am aware of the Viaarena site, the source code is
    there and they offer compiled modules, but they are all for *old* distros
    and old kernels like Mandrake 9.2, (gone past 10.2 now), Suse 8.2 (last was
    9.3) etc etc. (I really want to use Xandros 3.0)
    If this was for dos or windows I would compile it in a flash, but to do it
    under linux means re-compiling the kernel, building a load module, etc etc
    thats a bit too much for my level of knowledge at the moment!

    From looking at the links you provided, it looks like its going to make it
    into the kernel really soon anyway, so perhaps I'll just wait!

    Thanks anyway,
    John Dyer, Aug 29, 2005
  7. John Dyer

    Bret Guest

    On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:30:13 +1200, John Dyer <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:57:43 +1200, Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:55:12 +1200, John Dyer <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Any particular group? there are quite a few

    >> linux.kernel
    >> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/li...q=VT6410 linux&rnum=1&hl=en#d0290004b8fe9607
    >>
    >> Or
    >> comp.os.linux.hardware
    >>
    >> Here's a driver for SuSE Linux, Fedora Core Linux, Red Hat Linux and
    >> Mandrake / Mandriva, not sure about the source though.
    >>
    >> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=19&CatID=2190&SubCatID=116

    >Thanks for that Brett, I am aware of the Viaarena site, the source code is
    >there and they offer compiled modules, but they are all for *old* distros
    >and old kernels like Mandrake 9.2, (gone past 10.2 now), Suse 8.2 (last was
    >9.3) etc etc. (I really want to use Xandros 3.0)
    >If this was for dos or windows I would compile it in a flash, but to do it
    >under linux means re-compiling the kernel, building a load module, etc etc
    >thats a bit too much for my level of knowledge at the moment!
    >
    >From looking at the links you provided, it looks like its going to make it
    >into the kernel really soon anyway, so perhaps I'll just wait!

    2.6.13 is out now, if that's the one.

    >Thanks anyway,

    No worrys.
    Bret, Aug 29, 2005