    software/Hardware would be reccomended for dial-up users or those braodband
    users with very low bandwidth of below 32kbps. It has to be FWD/SIP Based.

    Sid

    SidKnee, Feb 18, 2005

  2. SidKnee

    Ivor Jones Guest

    SidKnee wrote:
    > I am currentlyon FWD but have a braodband connection of 64k but
    > what software/Hardware would be reccomended for dial-up users or
    > those braodband users with very low bandwidth of below 32kbps. It
    > has to be FWD/SIP Based.

    You'll have a hard time getting SIP to work on a dialup connection. That's
    not to say it won't, but don't expect audio quality to be up to much.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Feb 18, 2005

  3. SidKnee

    SidKnee Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote >
    > You'll have a hard time getting SIP to work on a dialup connection.

    I realise this. But I have friends in Malawi who I would like to
    communicate with over SIP protocol. They only have dial-up or broadband
    which is 32kbps shared.

    Sid

    SidKnee, Feb 18, 2005
  4. SidKnee

    Martin² Guest

    Haven't tried with FWD, but Bubble.net claimed theirs will work over dial-up
    and it DOESN'T,
    well you can connect but it is impossible to have a conversation.

    By the way X-lite softphone can handle three 'lines' so I have FWD, Sipgate
    and Babble all set up and working,
    I only have sipgate PSTN number, but presumably could have another one from
    Babble too.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Feb 19, 2005
  5. SidKnee

    Ian Guest

    "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > SidKnee wrote:
    > > I am currentlyon FWD but have a braodband connection of 64k but
    > > what software/Hardware would be reccomended for dial-up users or
    > > those braodband users with very low bandwidth of below 32kbps. It
    > > has to be FWD/SIP Based.

    > You'll have a hard time getting SIP to work on a dialup connection. That's
    > not to say it won't, but don't expect audio quality to be up to much.
    >
    > Ivor

    Hi
    I have used FWD over both dialup and single 64K isdn with susccess,
    You need to make sure that you both only have GSM and ilbc enabled as
    your codecs. Then the quality is OK(ish).
    And for a laugh i have even used it over GPRS with some success from
    my PDA.

    Its all down to choosing codecs.

    Good luck
    Ian

    Ian, Feb 19, 2005
  6. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:20:18 +0000, SidKnee wrote:

    > "Ivor Jones" <> wrote >
    >> You'll have a hard time getting SIP to work on a dialup connection.

    > I realise this. But I have friends in Malawi who I would like to
    > communicate with over SIP protocol. They only have dial-up or broadband
    > which is 32kbps shared.

    (I'm not on a dialup-line but...)

    When I use my ip-phones, I consume
    ~25-30kbps so it should be possible to squize it thru a dialup. I know of
    a guy running voip on a 32kbps connection it works, but his old 64kbps
    line was better.

    Henning Wangerin, Feb 19, 2005