    From: Gactimus
    Subject: I think my child might be a hacker!
    Date: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 11:21 AM

    As an enlightened, modern parent, I try to be as involved as possible in
    the lives of my six children. I encourage them to join team sports. I
    attend their teen parties with them to ensure no drinking or alcohol is on
    the premises. I keep a fatherly eye on the CDs they listen to and the shows
    they watch, the company they keep and the books they read. You could say
    I'm a model parent. My children have never failed to make me proud, and I
    can say without the slightest embellishment that I have the finest family
    in the USA.

    Two years ago, my wife Carol and I decided that our children's education
    would not be complete without some grounding in modern computers. To this
    end, we bought our children a brand new Compaq to learn with. The kids had
    a lot of fun using the handful of application programs we'd bought, such as
    Adobe's Photoshop and Microsoft's Word, and my wife and I were pleased that
    our gift was received so well. Our son Peter was most entranced by the
    device, and became quite a pro at surfing the net. When Peter began to
    spend whole days on the machine, I became concerned, but Carol advised me
    to calm down, and that it was only a passing phase. I was content to bow to
    her experience as a mother, until our youngest daughter, Cindy, charged
    into the living room one night to blurt out: "Peter is a computer hacker!"

    As you can imagine, I was amazed. A computer hacker in my own house! I
    began to monitor my son's habits, to make certain that Cindy wasn't just
    telling stories, as she is prone to doing at times.

    After a few days of investigation, and some research into computer hacking,
    I confronted Peter with the evidence. I'm afraid to say, this was the only
    time I have ever been truly disappointed in one of my children. We raised
    them to be honest and to have integrity, and Peter betrayed the principles
    we tried to encourage in him, when he refused point blank to admit to his
    activities. His denials continued for hours, and in the end, I was left
    with no choice but to ban him from using the computer until he is old
    enough to be responsible for his actions.

    After going through this ordeal with my own family, I was left pondering
    how I could best help others in similar situations. I'd gained a lot of
    knowledge over those few days regarding hackers. It's only right that I
    provide that information to other parents, in the hope that they will be
    able to tell if their children are being drawn into the world of hacking.
    Perhaps other parents will be able to steer their sons back onto the
    straight and narrow before extreme measures need to be employed.

    To this end, I have decided to publish the top ten signs that your son is a
    hacker. I advise any parents to read this list carefully and if their son
    matches the profile, they should take action. A smart parent will first try
    to reason with their son, before resorting to groundings, or even spanking.
    I pride myself that I have never had to spank a child, and I hope this
    guide will help other parents to put a halt to their son's misbehaviour
    before a spanking becomes necessary.

    1. Has your son asked you to change ISPs?

    Most American families use trusted and responsible Internet Service
    Providers, such as AOL. These providers have a strict "No Hacking" policy,
    and take careful measures to ensure that your internet experience is
    enjoyable, educational and above all legal. If your child is becoming a
    hacker, one of his first steps will be to request a change to a more hacker
    friendly provider.

    I would advise all parents to refuse this request. One of the reasons your
    son is interested in switching providers is to get away from AOL's child
    safety filter. This filter is vital to any parent who wants his son to
    enjoy the internet without the endangering him through exposure to "adult"
    content. It is best to stick with the protection AOL provides, rather than
    using a home-based solution. If your son is becoming a hacker, he will be
    able to circumvent any home-based measures with surprising ease, using
    information gleaned from various hacker sites.

    2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember
    installing?

    Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt
    to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually
    find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under
    "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software
    includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

    The best option is to confront your son with the evidence, and force him to
    remove the offending programs. He will probably try to install the software
    again, but you will be able to tell that this is happening, if your machine
    offers to "download" one of the hacker applications. If this happens, it is
    time to give your son a stern talking to, and possibly consider punishing
    him with a grounding.

    3. Has your child asked for new hardware?

    Computer hackers are often limited by conventional computer hardware. They
    may request "faster" video cards, and larger hard drives, or even more
    memory. If your son starts requesting these devices, it is possible that he
    has a legitimate need. You can best ensure that you are buying legal,
    trustworthy hardware by only buying replacement parts from your computer's
    manufacturer.

    If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD",
    this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who
    make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use
    child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they
    deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers,
    such as Intel, use to prevent hacking. AMD chips are never sold in stores,
    and you will most likely be told that you have to order them from internet
    sites. Do not buy this chip! This is one request that you must refuse your
    son, if you are to have any hope of raising him well.

    4. Does your child read hacking manuals?

    If you pay close attention to your son's reading habits, as I do, you will
    be able to determine a great deal about his opinions and hobbies. Children
    are at their most impressionable in the teenage years. Any father who has
    had a seventeen year old daughter attempt to sneak out on a date wearing
    make up and perfume is well aware of the effect that improper influences
    can have on inexperienced minds.

    There are, unfortunately, many hacking manuals available in bookshops
    today. A few titles to be on the lookout for are: "Snow Crash" and
    "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson; "Neuromancer" by William Gibson;
    "Programming with Perl" by Timothy O'Reilly; "Geeks" by Jon Katz; "The
    Hacker Crackdown" by Bruce Sterling; "Microserfs" by Douglas Coupland;
    "Hackers" by Steven Levy; and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric S.
    Raymond.

    If you find any of these hacking manuals in your child's possession,
    confiscate them immediately. You should also petition local booksellers to
    remove these titles from their shelves. You may meet with some resistance
    at first, but even booksellers have to bow to community pressure.

    5. How much time does your child spend using the computer each day?

    If your son spends more than thirty minutes each day on the computer, he
    may be using it to DOS other peoples sites. DOSing involves gaining access
    to the "command prompt" on other people's machines, and using it to tie up
    vital internet services. This can take up to eight hours. If your son is
    doing this, he is breaking the law, and you should stop him immediately.
    The safest policy is to limit your children's access to the computer to a
    maximum of forty-five minutes each day.

    6. Does your son use Quake?

    Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers. It is a popular meeting
    place and training ground, where they discuss hacking and train in the use
    of various firearms. Many hackers develop anti-social tendencies due to the
    use of this virtual world, and it may cause erratic behaviour at home and
    at school.

    If your son is using Quake, you should make him understand that this is not
    acceptable to you. You should ensure all the firearms in your house are
    carefully locked away, and have trigger locks installed. You should also
    bring your concerns to the attention of his school.

    7. Is your son becoming argumentative and surly in his social behaviour?

    As a child enters the electronic world of hacking, he may become
    disaffected with the real world. He may lose the ability to control his
    actions, or judge the rightness or wrongness of a course of behaviour. This
    will manifest itself soonest in the way he treats others. Those whom he
    disagrees with will be met with scorn, bitterness, and even foul language.
    He may utter threats of violence of a real or electronic nature.

    Even when confronted, your son will probably find it difficult to talk
    about this problem to you. He will probably claim that there is no problem,
    and that you are imagining things. He may tell you that it is you who has
    the problem, and you should "back off" and "stop smothering him." Do not
    allow yourself to be deceived. You are the only chance your son has, even
    if he doesn't understand the situation he is in. Keep trying to get through
    to him, no matter how much he retreats into himself.

    8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?

    BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker
    operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos
    Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program
    called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These
    programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems
    to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's
    stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a
    notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as
    "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet
    without using a telephone.

    Your son may try to install "lunix" on your hard drive. If he is careful,
    you may not notice its presence, however, lunix is a capricious beast, and
    if handled incorrectly, your son may damage your computer, and even break
    it completely by deleting Windows, at which point you will have to have
    your computer repaired by a professional.

    If you see the word "LILO" during your windows startup (just after you turn
    the machine on), your son has installed lunix. In order to get rid of it,
    you will have to send your computer back to the manufacturer, and have them
    fit a new hard drive. Lunix is extremely dangerous software, and cannot be
    removed without destroying part of your hard disk surface.

    9. Has your son radically changed his appearance?

    If your son has undergone a sudden change in his style of dress, you may
    have a hacker on your hands. Hackers tend to dress in bright, day-glo
    colors. They may wear baggy pants, bright colored shirts and spiky hair
    dyed in bright colors to match their clothes. They may take to carrying
    "glow-sticks" and some wear pacifiers around their necks. (I have no idea
    why they do this) There are many such hackers in schools today, and your
    son may have started to associate with them. If you notice that your son's
    group of friends includes people dressed like this, it is time to think
    about a severe curfew, to protect him from dangerous influences.

    10. Is your son struggling academically?

    If your son is failing courses in school, or performing poorly on sports
    teams, he may be involved in a hacking group, such as the infamous "Otaku"
    hacker association. Excessive time spent on the computer, communicating
    with his fellow hackers may cause temporary damage to the eyes and brain,
    from the electromagnetic radiation. This will cause his marks to slip
    dramatically, particularly in difficult subjects such as Math, and
    Chemistry. In extreme cases, over-exposure to computer radiation can cause
    schizophrenia, meningitis and other psychological diseases. Also, the
    reduction in exercise may cause him to lose muscle mass, and even to start
    gaining weight. For the sake of your child's mental and physical health,
    you must put a stop to his hacking, and limit his computer time
    drastically.

    I encourage all parents to read through this guide carefully. Your child's
    future may depend upon it. Hacking is an illegal and dangerous activity,
    that may land your child in prison, and tear your family apart. It cannot
    be taken too seriously.
    wunderbar, Feb 15, 2005

  2. wunderbar

    J.O. Aho Guest

    wunderbar wrote:
    > Came across this classic - has Woger seen this?

    Do you have to spam?
    J.O. Aho, Feb 15, 2005

  3. wunderbar

    Justin Guest

    wunderbar wrote:

    > 2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember
    > installing?
    >
    > Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may attempt
    > to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you can usually
    > find any new programs by reading through the programs listed under
    > "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel. Popular hacker software
    > includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and "Flash".

    Bonzi Buddy, Comet Cusor, Flash = Hacker Software

    Ha ha ha ha ROTFLMAO

    Tears streaming from my eyes.

    This looks suspiciously like urban legend stuff to me.

    Regards

    Justin
    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
  4. wunderbar

    Dorado Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > wunderbar wrote:
    >

    >> 2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember
    >> installing?
    >>
    >> Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may
    >> attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you
    >> can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs
    >> listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel.
    >> Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and
    >> "Flash".
    >>

    > Bonzi Buddy, Comet Cusor, Flash = Hacker Software
    >
    > Ha ha ha ha ROTFLMAO
    >
    > Tears streaming from my eyes.
    >
    > This looks suspiciously like urban legend stuff to me.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Justin

    Its a joke.. not an urban legend ...
    Dorado, Feb 15, 2005
  5. wunderbar

    cowboyz Guest

    Dorado wrote:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> wunderbar wrote:
    >>

    >>> 2. Are you finding programs on your computer that you don't remember
    >>> installing?
    >>>
    >>> Your son will probably try to install some hacker software. He may
    >>> attempt to conceal the presence of the software in some way, but you
    >>> can usually find any new programs by reading through the programs
    >>> listed under "Install/Remove Programs" in your control panel.
    >>> Popular hacker software includes "Comet Cursor", "Bonzi Buddy" and
    >>> "Flash".
    >>>

    >> Bonzi Buddy, Comet Cusor, Flash = Hacker Software
    >>
    >> Ha ha ha ha ROTFLMAO
    >>
    >> Tears streaming from my eyes.
    >>
    >> This looks suspiciously like urban legend stuff to me.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Justin

    > Its a joke.. not an urban legend ...

    But this bit is true isn't it??

    cowboyz, Feb 15, 2005
  6. wunderbar

    froggy Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:16:00 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

    > Dorado wrote:
    >> Justin wrote:

    >>> Bonzi Buddy, Comet Cusor, Flash = Hacker Software
    >>>
    >>> Ha ha ha ha ROTFLMAO
    >>>
    >>> Tears streaming from my eyes.
    >>>
    >>> This looks suspiciously like urban legend stuff to me.
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>>
    >>> Justin

    >> Its a joke.. not an urban legend ...

    > But this bit is true isn't it??
    >
    > 8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?
    >
    > BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker
    > operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos
    > Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program
    > called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These
    > programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems
    > to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's
    > stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a
    > notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as
    > "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet
    > without using a telephone.

    LOL
    right now Im making some mp3's to break into stereo's..
    if my mp3 gets played by the radio station I can take over teh werld!!!

    froggy, Feb 15, 2005
  7. wunderbar

    froggy Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:25:51 +1300, froggy wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:16:00 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
    >

    >> Dorado wrote:

    >>> Its a joke.. not an urban legend ...

    >> But this bit is true isn't it??
    >>
    >> 8. Is your son obsessed with "Lunix"?
    >>
    >> BSD, Lunix, Debian and Mandrake are all versions of an illegal hacker
    >> operation system, invented by a Soviet computer hacker named Linyos
    >> Torovoltos, before the Russians lost the Cold War. It is based on a program
    >> called "xenix", which was written by Microsoft for the US government. These
    >> programs are used by hackers to break into other people's computer systems
    >> to steal credit card numbers. They may also be used to break into people's
    >> stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program. Torovoltos is a
    >> notorious hacker, responsible for writing many hacker programs, such as
    >> "telnet", which is used by hackers to connect to machines on the internet
    >> without using a telephone.

    > LOL
    > right now Im making some mp3's to break into stereo's..
    > if my mp3 gets played by the radio station I can take over teh werld!!!

    ooops i forgot to add..
    muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
    <insert ominous sounding music>

    froggy, Feb 15, 2005
  8. wunderbar

    ray Guest

    Besides the obvious Linux FUD, I have a problem with all the references to
    'son'. I'm not a strident 'political correctness' freak, but this is also
    an obviously sexual stereotype. My daughter has a double degree in
    mathematics and computer science.
    ray, Feb 15, 2005
  9. wunderbar

    geopelia Guest

    I keep getting error messages about emails I have sent to addresses I have
    never heard of. Computer chaps say just ignore them. Is this just hackers
    at work?
    geopelia, Feb 15, 2005
  10. geopelia wrote:
    > I keep getting error messages about emails I have sent to addresses I have
    > never heard of. Computer chaps say just ignore them. Is this just hackers
    > at work?

    yes... there is no conspiracy, they are after you.

    kidding... yeah, ignore them, probably just compormised windows boxes
    pumping out virus/trojan/spam.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 15, 2005
  11. wunderbar

    geopelia Guest

    > geopelia wrote:
    > > I keep getting error messages about emails I have sent to addresses I

    have
    > > never heard of. Computer chaps say just ignore them. Is this just

    hackers
    > > at work?

    > yes... there is no conspiracy, they are after you.
    >
    > kidding... yeah, ignore them, probably just compormised windows boxes
    > pumping out virus/trojan/spam.

    Thanks. I just hope it isn't obnoxious porn going out in my name. All my
    real outgoing messages are checked for viruses etc by pc-cillin.
    geopelia, Feb 15, 2005
  12. wunderbar

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:57:55 +1300, geopelia wrote:

    > I keep getting error messages about emails I have sent to addresses I have
    > never heard of. Computer chaps say just ignore them. Is this just hackers
    > at work?

    I would say there is a strong possibility that your MS Outlook has picked
    up a compromise.
    ray, Feb 16, 2005
  13. wunderbar

    george Guest

    I have this bridge that I feel you'll be interested in
    george, Feb 16, 2005
  14. wunderbar

    Don Ocean Guest

    george wrote:
    > I have this bridge that I feel you'll be interested in

    I thought your wife threw that bridge out! I heard she didn't like you
    biting her everytime that bridge was in your mouth! ;-p

    Don Ocean, Feb 16, 2005
  15. wunderbar

    Gurble Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:57:55 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    had this to say:

    >I keep getting error messages about emails I have sent to addresses I have
    >never heard of. Computer chaps say just ignore them. Is this just hackers
    >at work?

    It will be one of two things:

    1. (Most Likely) Someone who has you in their address book has been
    infected by a virus. The virus is trying to spread itself via email,
    and is forging the "from" field, using the email address picked from
    their address book.

    2. (Less Likely) Spammers are sending out their crap, and forging the
    "from" field, using your email address. They do this to try to
    circumvent Anti-Spam filters.

    HTH
    Gurble, Feb 16, 2005
  16. wunderbar

    Enkidu Guest

    ray wrote:
    > Besides the obvious Linux FUD, I have a problem with all the references to
    > 'son'. I'm not a strident 'political correctness' freak, but this is also
    > an obviously sexual stereotype. My daughter has a double degree in
    > mathematics and computer science.

    Ooo. I've got a degree in those subjects too. I don't know
    many people who have. My daughters have not gone for the
    totally geeky subjects though.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 16, 2005
  17. wunderbar

    JDC Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:51:14 +1300, wunderbar wrote:

    > Came across this classic - has Woger seen this?

    Ya know, i just about had a friggin' heart attack reading this. I was
    thinking, "This has to be about the stupidest person i have ever heard
    of". Then about half way i realized that this has to be a joke, NO ONE IS
    THIS MUCH OF AN IDIOT!!! Sheesh... Where did it come from?

    JDC
    JDC, Feb 17, 2005
  18. wunderbar

    george Guest

    After a number of years on the Net reading posts I'm not to sure that
    it's a joke.
    People actually believe that shit and spend years posting in that
    vein...
    As they say "Nowt as queer as folk"
    george, Feb 17, 2005
  19. wunderbar

    Jay Guest

    "george" <> wrote in message
    > After a number of years on the Net reading posts I'm not to sure that
    > it's a joke.
    > People actually believe that shit and spend years posting in that
    > vein...
    > As they say "Nowt as queer as folk"

    I'm sure I read something similar/identical a couple of years ago.

    Jay
    Jay, Feb 17, 2005
  20. wunderbar

    wunderbar Guest

    "JDC" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:51:14 +1300, wunderbar wrote:
    >
    > > Came across this classic - has Woger seen this?

    > Ya know, i just about had a friggin' heart attack reading this. I was
    > thinking, "This has to be about the stupidest person i have ever heard
    > of". Then about half way i realized that this has to be a joke, NO ONE IS
    > THIS MUCH OF AN IDIOT!!! Sheesh... Where did it come from?

    The AMD and Lunix references made it sound refreshingly similar to "Wogerly
    advice".

    The only things missing are references to Playstation and Crap (tm).

    Who knows what those Playstation owners could be up to with a PS2 Linux
    distro and a broadband connection in their bedrooms...
    wunderbar, Feb 18, 2005