    I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash and
    self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.

    Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?
    John, Oct 11, 2006

  2. John

    g n p Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:_SbXg.6965$...

    > I bought a new Sigma DC zoom lens 17mm-70mm f2.8-4.5 for my new Canon XTi
    > (400D).
    >
    > The results are awful. Blurry like a cheapo camera.
    >
    > I changed the focal lengths and aperatures. No positive improvements.
    >
    > I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash and
    > self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.
    >
    > Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    Try f/8 on a tripod, ISO100, all focal lengths, and then maybe give it back.
    Tests I've read paint a very favorable picture of this lens.
    g n p, Oct 11, 2006

  3. John

    Paul Rubin Guest

    John <> writes:
    > I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash
    > and self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.
    >
    > Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    Sounds like AF errors. How does the viewfinder image look?
    Paul Rubin, Oct 11, 2006
  4. John

    frederick Guest

    John wrote:
    > I bought a new Sigma DC zoom lens 17mm-70mm f2.8-4.5 for my new Canon
    > XTi (400D).
    >
    > The results are awful. Blurry like a cheapo camera.
    >
    > I changed the focal lengths and aperatures. No positive improvements.
    >
    > I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash
    > and self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.
    >
    > Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    No. Unless you are doing something wrong, then either the camera or the
    lens are broken.
    frederick, Oct 11, 2006
  5. John

    JohnR66 Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    >I bought a new Sigma DC zoom lens 17mm-70mm f2.8-4.5 for my new Canon XTi
    >(400D).
    >
    > The results are awful. Blurry like a cheapo camera.
    >
    > I changed the focal lengths and aperatures. No positive improvements.
    >
    > I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash and
    > self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.
    >
    > Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    Switch to manual focus and see how it works. I wonder if the there is
    compatibility issues between the new Rebel model and the Sigma. I have had
    good luck with the optical quality of Sigma lenses I've used, but none were
    upgradeable to the digital cameras. One reason not to buy Sigma.

    At least give Sigma support a try.
    John
    JohnR66, Oct 11, 2006
  6. John

    John Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >>I bought a new Sigma DC zoom lens 17mm-70mm f2.8-4.5 for my new Canon XTi
    >>(400D).
    >>
    >> The results are awful. Blurry like a cheapo camera.
    >>
    >> I changed the focal lengths and aperatures. No positive improvements.
    >>
    >> I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash and
    >> self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.
    >>
    >> Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    > Switch to manual focus and see how it works. I wonder if the there is
    > compatibility issues between the new Rebel model and the Sigma. I have had
    > good luck with the optical quality of Sigma lenses I've used, but none were
    > upgradeable to the digital cameras. One reason not to buy Sigma.
    >
    > At least give Sigma support a try.
    > John

    I just got back from BestBuy after trying an experiment.

    I brought my Canon XTi so that I could try out different lenses.
    I put in a Canon zoom lens (courtesy of BestBuy) into my camera and took a
    photograph of the interior of the store. Blurry.

    I tried out the same lens on one of BestBuy's XTi's. Results much better.
    Switched back and forth a few times and my camera always came out blurry.

    I think the camera is defective.

    My camera certainly doesn't create photos like this:
    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital3/downloads/portrait.jpg
    John, Oct 11, 2006
  7. "John" <> wrote in message
    >I bought a new Sigma DC zoom lens 17mm-70mm f2.8-4.5 for my new Canon XTi
    >(400D).
    >
    > The results are awful. Blurry like a cheapo camera.
    >
    > I changed the focal lengths and aperatures. No positive improvements.
    >
    > I put the camera on a tripod and set the aperature to f22 using flash and
    > self-timer to eliminate any chance of shake. Still blurry.
    >
    > Is the Sigma *that* bad a lens?

    John, that lens should be fine. However, the XTi is a new camera and
    perhaps the autofocus is not compatible. Contact Sigma. I assume manual
    focus works.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 11, 2006
  8. John

    Guest

    John wrote:

    > My camera certainly doesn't create photos like this:
    > http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigital3/downloads/portrait.jpg

    ....and a good thing too - I don't know why I'd want to be able to
    examine every blemish on the side of my subject's nostrils...

    ;-)

    I hope you can get that camera replaced "toot-suite."

    Bruce
    , Oct 11, 2006