Future Shop's 1 Year Camera Warranty Not Honoured

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by weft2, Sep 20, 2005.

  1. weft2

    weft2 Guest

    I have an older model Fuji F600 series (can't recall the exact model
    number right now, but it took very good pictures and I'm very attached
    to it), bought at Future Shop last year, that just died over 2 months
    ago, with only a few days before the 1 year warranty was up. I didn't
    purchase an extended warranty, though I was pressured to.

    I brought the camera in, as mentioned, with a few days left on the
    warranty and told them that the camera would not power on, period. The
    camera was in excellent cosmetic condition, that is, no visible outer
    signs of damage. It had never been dropped or handled roughly. It
    actually died while I was snapping shots. I tested the batteries, and
    put spare recharged ones in, and still no power.

    Anyway, I signed over the camera and charging cradle to the FS clerk,
    and she said because I had not purchased the extended warranty it could
    be 1-2 months for repair. I wasn't thrilled, but there was nothing I
    could do about it. Almost 2 months later, I contacted my local FS, and
    they told me the camera was on its way back from Toronto to the local
    FS, supposedly repaired- though no details were provided.

    A week later I get a call from FS's HQ in Vancouver telling me that the
    camera was damaged, and that the "layers" had separated. I asked what
    that meant, and she said that the outside of the body was damaged, and
    that the chip or board inside was also damaged. The total cost to
    repair a $350 camera less than a year old would be $250 according to
    her.

    I was outraged and told her I would not accept this. The camera I
    handed over to the clerk at my local FS was in perfect cosmetic
    condition, although not functioning. I would never be so stupid as to
    expect a physically damaged camera to be accepted for repair, (nor
    would I expect FS to have accepted the camera I brought in in the first
    place, but they DID because there was nothing cosmetically wrong with
    it.) So here they are now, telling me that that is exactly what has
    happened, that the camera had physical damage.

    Either this is a huge scam that FS is pulling, ie, they have a few days
    left on the warranty, and so damage or mishandle the camera in transit
    to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
    wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
    that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
    functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
    condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
    any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
    took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
    repair.

    Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
    but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
    with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
    chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
    I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either
    way, it's disgusting and infuriating.
    weft2, Sep 20, 2005

  2. weft2

    Cathy Guest

    "weft2" <> wrote in message
    > I have an older model Fuji F600 series (can't recall the exact model
    > number right now, but it took very good pictures and I'm very attached
    > to it), bought at Future Shop last year, that just died over 2 months
    > ago, with only a few days before the 1 year warranty was up. I didn't
    > purchase an extended warranty, though I was pressured to.
    >
    > I brought the camera in, as mentioned, with a few days left on the
    > warranty and told them that the camera would not power on, period. The
    > camera was in excellent cosmetic condition, that is, no visible outer
    > signs of damage. It had never been dropped or handled roughly. It
    > actually died while I was snapping shots. I tested the batteries, and
    > put spare recharged ones in, and still no power.
    >
    > Anyway, I signed over the camera and charging cradle to the FS clerk,
    > and she said because I had not purchased the extended warranty it

    could
    > be 1-2 months for repair. I wasn't thrilled, but there was nothing I
    > could do about it. Almost 2 months later, I contacted my local FS, and
    > they told me the camera was on its way back from Toronto to the local
    > FS, supposedly repaired- though no details were provided.

    Hi, I live in Toronto and have bought quite a few items from my local FS
    I've never bought a camera there though. I've had a few problems with
    products during the
    years I have bought things there but they were always solved to my
    satisfaction.

    A few thoughts - After you handed over the camera to your local FS (I
    presume you don't live in Toronto since you mentioned it was shipped
    there), and as you said, its not likely you would hand in an obviously
    damaged camera to FS and not likely they would accept it without making
    a note on the receipt given to you regarding any obvious damages (if
    that were the case I mean). Did you get a receipt from your local FS for
    your camera? and were there any notes of damage on the receipt? Was it
    noted on the receipt that at the point the camera was handed in to FS,
    the camera was still under the manufacturers warranty?

    Once you handed in your camera to your local FS, it was up to them to
    pack the camera properly and ship the camera to Toronto then to Fuji.
    From what you say, it seems to me you did what you were supposed to do.

    I was greatly helped at my local FS store when I had problems, because
    there was a good store Manager who was very fair. Have you spoken to
    your local FS store manager and explain everything and tell him about
    FS in Vancouver phoning you and what they said to you? Many local store
    managers can be very helpful to customers in this situation. If he will
    not support you, ask him the name and phone number or email address of
    someone who is the best person for you you to complain to.
    Also, when the Vancouver FS contact you again, ask them for the name and
    phone number or email address of the CEO or FS in Vancouver. Then if it
    was me,
    I would contact that person. You need someone with higher authority who
    can do something
    for you. FS in Vancouver may think you will just accept their decision
    and not question
    it any further, but according to what you say, if it was me, I would
    sure question it.

    I think you could exhaust your FS sources before thinking about taking
    it to Small Claims court, though its something to keep in mind. I've
    never had to go further than the Manager at my local FS, but I would
    have been prepared to go as high as I could go within the FS
    organization or any other company if need be before taking other
    courses. I've had a lot of experience with complaining about products or
    unfair practices through the years and most times its paid off. I've
    never had occasion to
    go to an omnbudsman. Does FS have one?

    Just my opinions/suggestions. I hope you can get somewhere.

    Cathy

    Cathy, Sep 20, 2005

  3. weft2

    Jim Townsend Guest

    weft2 wrote:

    > Either this is a huge scam that FS is pulling, ie, they have a few days
    > left on the warranty, and so damage or mishandle the camera in transit
    > to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
    > wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
    > that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
    > functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
    > condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
    > any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
    > took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
    > repair.

    All FS is required to do is ensure what they sell you works. If you
    buy a camera and it doesn't work, they HAVE to replace it, or refund
    your money.

    As far as handling warranty claims further down the road.. They do
    this as a 'courtesy'. They don't HAVE to do this. (Your camera
    is warranted by Fuji, not Future Shop).

    I bought a Canon S100 a few years back from FS.. Six months later, it
    developed a problem with the sensor. I dug up the address of the
    warranty service depot in Canada and sent it in on my own.. I sent
    it insured for the full value of the camera.

    They fixed it and sent it back.. It still works to this day.

    By not using a third party (FS) to send it in, I would up spending
    about 20 bucks for shipping and insurance.. But I think it was worth
    it.

    If the camera had been damaged in shipping, it was insured.. I would
    have lost nothing. If anything did happen, it would just be me and
    Canon arguing, nobody else.

    Jim Townsend, Sep 20, 2005
  4. weft2

    salgud Guest

    weft2 wrote:
> [...]
    > to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
    > wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
    > that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
    > functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
    > condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
    > any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
    > took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
    > repair.
    >
    > Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
    > but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
    > with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
    > chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
    > I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either

    I occasionally write diatribes myself, and usually end up regretting
    it. I've learned it's better not to send/publish them for a few days
    after I write them or until the I've exhausted my options with the
    other party. You still don't know what they're going to say, or what
    your options are after you hear their decision. I think it's unfair to
    title a post "not honored" when you don't know that yet. If and when
    they refuse to honor a valid warranty, then blast it from the rooftops!
    But until the fat lady sings, it's bad judgement to post this way.
    salgud, Sep 20, 2005
  5. weft2

    Bob Guest

    On 20 Sep 2005 12:25:48 -0700, "weft2" <> wrote:

> [...]
    >to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
    >wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
    >that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
    >functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
    >condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
    >any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
    >took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
    >repair.
    >
    >Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
    >but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
    >with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
    >chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
    >I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either

    Bummer - teach you to buy from Future Scrap!

    I won't buy there anymore, they sold me a Kodak 280 a while ago, they told me it
    had been "shown to a customer", thats why the box was open...

    When I got home, the first picture showed number 61!!! The memory only held
    21!!

    Future Scrap are a bunch of thieves - stay away! I hope you sue the bastards!

    Next time try to deal with the manufacturer of the camera.
    Bob, Sep 21, 2005
  6. weft2

    weft2 Guest

    salgud wrote:
> [...]
    > > but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
    > > with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
    > > chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
    > > I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either
    > > way, it's disgusting and infuriating.

    > I occasionally write diatribes myself, and usually end up regretting
    > it. I've learned it's better not to send/publish them for a few days
    > after I write them or until the I've exhausted my options with the
    > other party. You still don't know what they're going to say, or what
    > your options are after you hear their decision. I think it's unfair to
    > title a post "not honored" when you don't know that yet. If and when
    > they refuse to honor a valid warranty, then blast it from the rooftops!
    > But until the fat lady sings, it's bad judgement to post this way.

    I think the only bad judgement I showed was in buying a big ticket item
    such as this from FS. BTW, they'd already given me their answer, hence
    this post, and that answer was that the camera was damaged and
    therefore not covered under the 1 year warranty. Period. That was their
    answer, response, what have you, and that was what this post was about.

    I also wouldn't call the original post a diatribe. It was a statement
    of facts. The negative reaction they got to their assessment of my
    claim is what gave them pause (the customer service woman seemed
    genuinely shocked that I would balk at paying another $250 for repair
    of my camera), and which then caused them to hem and haw, say they
    would get RIGHT back to me, etc, etc. That was 2 days ago and I've
    recv'd no response yet. Call me cynical, but given past experience with
    big companies like this, the odds are very low that they will offer me
    any satisfaction whatsoever or honour their contract. The onus is
    likely now on me, it appears, to deal directly with Fuji.

    BTW, at the time of handing over the camera, I did present the original
    recpt., which FS made a photocopy of and attached to the repair claim.
    I do see the point that some others made that they had to deal directly
    with the original manufacturer when their cameras proved defective.
    However, had I known FS (and I'm assuming it's FS making this final
    decision here and NOT Fuji?) would act like this, I would have sprung
    for the $20 to mail the camera myself back to Fuji in TO.

    Even if I have to go the small claims court way, that is, if FS & Fuji
    prove to be uncoperative, and all other better business routes fail,
    the bottom line is that FS will have lost a customer who in the past
    dropped a fair amount of money in their store, and will not do so in
    the future. Ditto for any future Fuji purchases unless they come
    through at their end.
    weft2, Sep 21, 2005
  7. weft2

    Anabella M. Guest

    Well weft2, sorry to hear about your Future Shop experience. I stopped
    shopping there a few years back after my experience trying to get them
    to honour an ad for a "free printer" when bought with a digital camera
    as a gift for a niece. I purchased the camera (HP R707) and then they
    wanted me to pay $178 extra for the "free" printer. I phoned them and
    asked them if they knew what the meaning of "free" was. The dumbass
    droid I was talking to said yes, and then said I would still have to pay
    $178 to get my free printer. They then passed me along a series of other
    support droids who didn't know the meaning of "free" either. I still
    clearly recall her word: "Yes, of course it's free! You just have to pay
    $178 and the free printer is yours, free of charge!!!" I finally gave up
    and returned the whole lot of crap to their store and got a complete
    refund, and now, our company's annual IT budget is spent everywhere but
    at these morons.

    Good luck in your battle.

    PS: TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU KNOW WHAT THEY DID TO YOU, BAD SERVICE
    SPREADS FAST!

    Anabella M.

    Anabella M., Sep 21, 2005
  8. weft2

    John H Guest

> [...]

    >to Fuji's depot in Toronto, or it is scamming going on at Fuji's end,
    >wherein someone there physically damaged the camera. It makes me wish
    >that I had had another camera to take a dated picture of the non
    >functioning one I dropped off at FS, to prove the excellent physical
    >condition of the camera in question. Certainly, they should have noted
    >any physical damage on the report that the clerk whipped out when she
    >took inventory of the camera and accessories and accepted it for
    >repair.
    >
    >Right now, I'm waiting for another reply from FS's Vancouver office,
    >but I don't hold out much hope. If so, I'm going to raise royal hell
    >with FS and our local ombudsman. I don't know what my small claim court
    >chances are in Ontario, Canada, but I can't think of any other options.
    >I don't know who has screwed me over the most here, FS or Fuji. Either

    We had an extended warranty claim with FS that has some
    similarity. The function knob on an early Toshiba came off when it
    was within the FS extended warranty period. When I took it to the
    store I explained that I hadn't done anything to it and the clerk said
    not to worry they had it happen to several. About five weeks later
    the store called to say there was no warranty as I had pried the knob
    off. Quelling my outrage I explained that I was in the hospital
    taking pictures on my first born grandchild in the presence of four
    adults who witnessed the failure and asked if they supposed I paused
    to pry the camera apart during this momentous time in our lives.

    They fixed it. Sort of. The knob was back on but the camera
    was FUBAR. The LCD display was inverted and flipped and the image
    quality was horrid. I had bought a new camera in the meantime and
    hadn't used the Toshiba myself and the warranty had expired before I
    discovered the mess it was in. FS extended warranty says they will
    fix as good as new or replace the camera. They fixed it ok. They
    also say they will give you a new one if they don't return the unit
    repaired within six weeks. I got it back on the last day of the sixth
    week. FS is not my cup of tea.
    John H, Sep 21, 2005
  9. weft2

    Celcius Guest

    "John H" <> wrote in message
    >They fixed it ok. They
    > also say they will give you a new one if they don't return the unit
    > repaired within six weeks. I got it back on the last day of the sixth
    > week.
    > FS is not my cup of tea.

    Hi John!

    You're right. If there's one thing I learned about cameras (computers,
    etc.), is that service is very important. I would rather pay more, even 10
    to 15% more to know that I'm going to be looked after after I bought and
    used the thing. In Ottawa (Canada), I tell anyone who asks to go to a
    reputable vendor. In my books, in my town, it's Henry's. Another one,
    surprisingly, is Staples. OK, they don't have all the cameras, but their
    prices are very competitive and their service is great. I remember having
    problems with my Hewlet Packard Laser Jet 5MP and telling the manager at
    Business Depot (Staples) that I had no one to help, and that I hadn't bought
    my machine there, yet she helped ans solved my problem.

    Finally, I was right to buy at Henry's and their price was still
    competitive. When I went on a trip and found out that my Canon Pro 1 had
    conked out, when I got back, they sent it for me, followed up to ensure that
    Canon would repair under warranty (it was 2 weeks over the date upon my
    return) and finally offered to trade it in (OK at 50% of its initial value,
    yet great, because the value had gone down by $300, from roughly $1200 to
    $900). I now have the Canon 350 (Rebel XT) with an extended warranty - this
    much I learned with digital cameras.

    Cheers,

    Marcel
    Celcius, Sep 21, 2005