    tg Guest

    What's the best path to cake when taking a .Net certification, is it via Web
    or Windows forms, (regardless of the language (vb, c# etc) chosen ) ?Thanks,

    tg, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Sept. 5, 2006

    It mainly depends on what your job is/will be.... and your previous
    experience.

    If you are only going to get one or the other, and aren't partial to either,
    then I suggest going to some job sites and seeing which ones is in more
    demand... ie, which has more job listings.

    Check out places like http://www.monster.com, and
    http://www.careerbuilder.com/

    Good luck and let us know if you have more questions!

    --
    Joseph Bittman
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Web Site/Blog: http://CactiDevelopers.ResDev.Net/

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Sep 6, 2006

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    okay Joseph. I am thinking on going web as i think that will be future. And
    yes, deman is was drive offer o vice versa :)
    thank you.

    now, a quick one: C# o VB ?

    tg, Sep 6, 2006
  4. tg

    Cerebrus Guest

    tg wrote:

    > What's the best path to cake when taking a .Net certification, is it via Web
    > or Windows forms, (regardless of the language (vb, c# etc) chosen ) ?Thanks,

    If you want to go in the direction everyone seems to be going these
    days, then go for web.

    If you want to have the best of both worlds, do both web and windows.
    Personally, I'm a Windows forms guy, but I have certs for both.

    Cerebrus, Sep 6, 2006
  5. tg

    Cerebrus Guest

    tg wrote:

    > now, a quick one: C# o VB ?

    Again, if you want to go with the tide, it's C#. My suggestion however
    would be to gain proficiency in both languages. (as I did, though I
    confess to having a preference to VB.)

    I guess I always was a wierdo !

    Cerebrus, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Sept. 6, 2006

    Frankly, I think VB is easier to look at.... C# has a bunch of {s and }s
    instead of "End Sub" or "End If".... and you can easily lose track of how
    many levels you are deep during loops and such when using {}s.

    So I like VB, and after all... you can use both languages in the same
    project, and therefore it should effect a job too much.

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Sep 6, 2006
  7. tg

    Thor Guest

    > Frankly, I think VB is easier to look at.... C# has a bunch of {s and }s
    > instead of "End Sub" or "End If".... and you can easily lose track of how
    > many levels you are deep during loops and such when using {}s.

    Unless, of course, you indent.
    VB has gotten much better, of course, but experienced developers will tell
    you to teach C# first. Even if VB is the love-child of some pretty important
    people.

    VB was made for non-programmers.
    C# is the evolution of Java, C++, Delphi, Eiffel and others.

    All new language constructs comes to C# first.
    I think what language to start with is obviously C# if you must choose
    between these two.

    > So I like VB, and after all... you can use both languages in the same
    > project, and therefore it should effect a job too much.
    >
    > --
    > Joseph Bittman
    > Microsoft Certified Solution Developer
    > Microsoft Most Valuable Professional -- DPM

    You know, from your title I get the impression that you are a
    certification-MVP, are you?

    53

    Thor, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Sept. 6, 2006

    Nope, not a Cert MVP - there isn't such a category... I'm the only MVP for
    System Center Data Protection Manager 2006.

    And thanks for explaining a bit about the advantages with C# (I haven't
    memorized them to say them off the top of my head), as I think it's great to
    hear lots of info :).

    I also believe there are probably more jobs in C++/C# than VB, however, I
    have been seeing a change... I've talked with MSFT about jobs before, and
    they used to be pretty firm that C# = the end all there... and over the past
    year or so, even they have started accepting VB a tremendous amount more
    than the past. I hope this continues, as I don't like the thought one is
    limited to jobs in .Net by their language - just don't think that is
    necessary due to fact they compile basically to the same MSIL.

    Thanks Thor!

    Joseph Bittman MVP MCSD, Sep 6, 2006
  9. tg

    tg Guest

    Thanks to both of you. I appreciate your feedback. An interesting question,
    isn´t? :)

    tg, Sep 7, 2006
  10. tg

    tg Guest