Futurama Vol. 3 DVD Specs, 3/9/04

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike McGee, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Mike McGee

    Mike McGee Guest

    Just announced officially...

    The full Press Release, including the DVD cover art, can be found at
    this link:
    http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=584

    Futurama Volume 3 on DVD
    STREET DATE: DVD: 3/9/2004

    GENERAL INFORMATION
    GENRE: Family
    MPAA RATING (US): UR
    UPC CODE DVD: 024543105015
    CATALOG #DVD: 2220501

    UPC CODE DVD (French): 024543105077
    CATALOG #DVD (French): 2220507
    DVD SRP (US): $49.98
    DVD SRP (Canada): $69.98
    DVD SRP (French): $69.98

    DVD KEY INFO:
    Bonus:

    Disc 1: Commentary - An audio commentary for all episodes. Gallery -
    Storyboard images for episode #3 ACV02 - "parasites lost" (approx. 275
    static images), 6 deleted scenes, 3 Easter scenes, David x, Cohen intro
    (Approx. 5:06) for episode #3ACV03 - "A tale of two santas", table read
    for episode #3ACV03 - "A tale of two Santas", this is audio only,
    alternate show opening quotes. Approx 80 static images programmed to
    auto-play.

    Disc 2: Commentary - an audio commentary for all episodes, 5 deleted
    scenes

    Disc 3: Commentary - An audio commentary for all episodes, 3 deleted
    scenes

    Disc 4: Commentary - An audio commentary will be available for all
    episodes, still gallery/character art - 100 static images 2 "how to
    draw characters" galleries (Fry and Leela) 80 static images, animatic
    for episode #3ACV18 "Anthology of interest Part II" approx. 24:00,
    alternate animation commentary is present for episode #3ACV19 -
    "Roswell that ends well", international clip: approx 1:46, with French,
    Italian, cast, Spanish, English language, 9 "3D models from rough
    draft" sequences" 3 deleted scenes

    Specs:
    English Dolby Surround, Spanish Dolby Surround, French Dolby Surround
    Video: 1.33:1
    Dubbed: French, Spanish
    Subtitled: Spanish, English

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee

    Mike McGee, Jan 27, 2004

  2. Mike McGee

    Roger Sandhi Guest

    Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    between this DVD release and the one they already got
    in the UK?

    --roop

    Roger Sandhi, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Roger Sandhi <> wrote:
    > Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    > between this DVD release and the one they already got
    > in the UK?

    I assume the UK version is PAL.

    --
    Matthew Miller <http://www.mattdm.org/>
    Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

    Matthew Miller, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Roger Sandhi wrote:
    >Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    >between this DVD release and the one they already got
    >in the UK?

    Going by the differences in the Season 1 sets, the languages are
    probably different (the USA version usually includes English and
    Spanish audio, and English, Spanish, and French subtitles), the
    warning messages at the beginning are different as well (none of this
    "no playing this DVD in schools or on oil rigs" stuff), and I think
    there's a possibility that one or two episodes are moved from one disc
    to another, but in terms of content, they should be the same.

    -- Don

    Don Del Grande, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Mike McGee

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:47:14 GMT, Don Del Grande
    <> wrote:

    >Going by the differences in the Season 1 sets, the languages are
    >probably different (the USA version usually includes English and
    >Spanish audio, and English, Spanish, and French subtitles), the
    >warning messages at the beginning are different as well (none of this
    >"no playing this DVD in schools or on oil rigs" stuff)

    Eh? Does it really talk about schools and oil rigs? What does the
    message say in R2? Just curious...

    Mike
    --

    "On second thought, let's not | Mike Kohary
    go to Camelot. It is a silly |

    Cinema Paradiso http://www.kohary.com/movies

    Mike Kohary, Feb 1, 2004
  6. Mike Kohary <wrote:

    >> Going by the differences in the Season 1 sets, the languages are
    >> probably different (the USA version usually includes English and
    >> Spanish audio, and English, Spanish, and French subtitles), the
    >> warning messages at the beginning are different as well (none of this
    >> "no playing this DVD in schools or on oil rigs" stuff)

    > Eh? Does it really talk about schools and oil rigs? What does the
    > message say in R2? Just curious...

    The message begins:
    "WARNING: The copyright proprietor has licensed this DVD (including
    its soundtrack) for peivate home use only. All other rights are
    reserved.
    The definition of home use excludes the use of this DVD at locations
    such as clubs, coaches [I assume that means on buses], hospitals,
    hotels, oil rigs, prisons, and schools."
    (The message is marked "UK/IRELAND"; there is a separate message for
    Australia which is identical except that down where it says something
    about how the DVD cannot be "exported, distributed, or sold by way of
    trade", the UK/Ireland message includes "outside the EU". The message
    is repeated in French, Italian, and I think Dutch, although for some
    reason the last one doesn't appear until after you watch an episode.)

    The copyright laws in the USA allow you to view your DVD wherever you
    want (as long as you don't charge any admission to view it), which is
    probably why this message does not appear on the R1 version.

    -- Don

    Don Del Grande, Feb 2, 2004
  7. Mike McGee

    Paul Hyett Guest

    In alt.tv.futurama on Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Don Del Grande wrote :
    >Roger Sandhi wrote:
    >>Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    >>between this DVD release and the one they already got
    >>in the UK?

    >Going by the differences in the Season 1 sets, the languages are
    >probably different (the USA version usually includes English and
    >Spanish audio, and English, Spanish, and French subtitles), the
    >warning messages at the beginning are different as well (none of this
    >"no playing this DVD in schools or on oil rigs" stuff)

    I wonder if any one has every actually been prosecuted for doing that?
    --
    Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett

    Paul Hyett, Feb 2, 2004
  8. Mike McGee

    Tân Coul Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 14:01:31 -0800, Mike Kohary <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:47:14 GMT, Don Del Grande
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Going by the differences in the Season 1 sets, the languages are
    >>probably different (the USA version usually includes English and
    >>Spanish audio, and English, Spanish, and French subtitles), the
    >>warning messages at the beginning are different as well (none of this
    >>"no playing this DVD in schools or on oil rigs" stuff)

    >Eh? Does it really talk about schools and oil rigs? What does the
    >message say in R2? Just curious...

    "The definition of home use excludes use of this dvd in locations such
    as clubs, coaches, hotels*, hospitals, oil rigs, prisons or
    schools..."

    * Can't read my own notes here, possibly hostels or something similar.
    It does go on at greater length about the various evils of copyright
    law, but that's the opening and only possible note of interest.
    --
    www.oscartelos.co.uk
    The best Chester Zoo photo website ever made by a cat (probably.)

    Tân Coul, Feb 2, 2004
  9. >> Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    >> between this DVD release and the one they already got
    >> in the UK?

    > I assume the UK version is PAL.

    I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
    tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

    --
    mark allen adams, jr.
    usenet (at) mark (hyphen) adams (dot) com

    Mark Allen Adams, Jr., Feb 3, 2004
  10. Mark Allen Adams, Jr. <> wrote:
    >>> Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    >>> between this DVD release and the one they already got
    >>> in the UK?

    >> I assume the UK version is PAL.

    > I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
    > tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

    I think that he probably has a nice DVD player (like mine) that does the
    conversion on the fly.

    [ignoring followup request, as I don't read those groups and this is still
    on-topic in .futurama]

    Matthew Miller, Feb 3, 2004
  11. >> I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
    >> tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

    > I think that he probably has a nice DVD player (like mine) that does the
    > conversion on the fly.

    actually, it's just a $30 cheapo that he hacked

    Mark Allen Adams, Jr., Feb 3, 2004
  12. Mark Allen Adams, Jr. <> wrote:
    >>> I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
    >>> tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

    >> I think that he probably has a nice DVD player (like mine) that does the
    >> conversion on the fly.

    > actually, it's just a $30 cheapo that he hacked

    Well, by "nice" I don't mean "really expensive".

    Matthew Miller, Feb 4, 2004
  13. Mark Allen Adams, Jr. said the following (about "Re: Futurama Vol. 3
    DVD Specs, 3/9/04" in alt.tv.futurama on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:46:12
    GMT):

    >>> Other than region encoding, is there any difference
    >>> between this DVD release and the one they already got
    >>> in the UK?

    >> I assume the UK version is PAL.

    >I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
    >tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

    Your mate is wrong.

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

    Technical Info for DVD-Video

    PAL

    Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbit/sec MPEG2 or up to 1.856 MBit/sec MPEG1 video
    720 x 576 pixels MPEG2
    704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    25 fps (frames/second)

    Audio:
    48000 Hz
    32 - 1536 kbit/sec
    Up to 8 audio tracks containing Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM(uncompressed
    audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have MPEG-1, DD or PCM
    Audio.

    Extras:
    Menus, still pictures, subtitles and more.

    For more technical DVD-Video details read the DVDDemystified DVD FAQ
    section 3.4 or the mpeg.org DVD Technical Notes.

    NTSC (NTSC Film)

    Video:
    Up to 9.8 Mbit/sec MPEG2 or up to 1.856 MBit/sec MPEG1 video
    720 x 480 pixels MPEG2
    704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Same as the CVD Standard)
    352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
    352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
    29,97 fps (frames/second)
    23,976 fps with 3:2 pulldown = 29,97 playback fps (NTSC Film, this is
    only supported by MPEG2 video)

    Audio:
    48000 Hz
    32 - 1536 kbit/sec
    Up to 8 audio tracks containing DD (Dolby Digital/AC3), DTS,
    PCM(uncompressed audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have DD
    or PCM Audio.

    Extras:
    Menus, still pictures, subtitles and more.

    For more technical DVD-Video details read the DVDDemystified DVD FAQ
    section 3.4 or the mpeg.org DVD Technical Notes.

    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4
    http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/

    Bart Van Hemelen
    lots of useful links (downloading from usenet, ...) in this file:
    http://users.pandora.be/bvh2000/useful.txt

    Bart Van Hemelen, Feb 4, 2004