    dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Ed  Kim

    Impmon Guest

    On 18 Jul 2005 09:05:46 -0700, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:

    >http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3696
    >
    >ther's confirmation from Billy West that a Futurama movie (straight to
    >dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    >need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??

    That's good. I guess the VHS only owners would be left behind. Then
    again with cheap DVD players going for under $30 these days there's
    almost no reason not to have a DVD player at all.
    Impmon, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Ed  Kim

    Marci Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On 18 Jul 2005 09:05:46 -0700, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:
    >

    >>http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3696
    >>
    >>ther's confirmation from Billy West that a Futurama movie (straight to
    >>dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    >>need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??

    > That's good. I guess the VHS only owners would be left behind. Then
    > again with cheap DVD players going for under $30 these days there's
    > almost no reason not to have a DVD player at all.

    I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.
    Marci, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Ed  Kim

    Ed Kim Guest

    Marci wrote:
    > Impmon wrote:
    > > On 18 Jul 2005 09:05:46 -0700, "Ed Kim" <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3696
    > >>
    > >>ther's confirmation from Billy West that a Futurama movie (straight to
    > >>dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    > >>need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??

    > > That's good. I guess the VHS only owners would be left behind. Then
    > > again with cheap DVD players going for under $30 these days there's
    > > almost no reason not to have a DVD player at all.

    > I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    > Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    > but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    > couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    > to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    > She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    > trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    > rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.

    she had a WIDESCREEN plasma tv and watched full-screen (or letterboxed)
    VHS on it (ie. non-Anamorphic)? Aside from how awful VHS looks,
    doesn't it bother her to watch stuff stretched or window-boxed (or does
    she have a zoom feature)? And she has a "state of the art sound
    system", which ostenibly means DTS and DD5.1 and no 5.1 source? She
    spends (say) $10k on a home theatre system and complains about the
    price to upgrade software? wow...

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Ed  Kim

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <>, Ed
    Kim <> wrote:

    > http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3696
    >
    > ther's confirmation from Billy West that a Futurama movie (straight to
    > dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    > need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??

    Pure speculation, but I wonder if they're using the movie as a way to
    jump back into episode production. It's expensive to get a new studio
    up and running, get all the old animators back, etc, and much of that
    cost could be part of the higher movie budget.
    "It'll cost $5 million before you even start scripting the first
    episode?!! There's no way we're funding a new tv season!"
    "Well, how about we give you a 90 minute movie for $8 million?"
    "Hmm... I like it!"

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
    Invid Fan, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Ed  Kim

    Ed Kim Guest

    Invid Fan wrote:
    > In article <>, Ed
    > Kim <> wrote:
    >
    > > http://tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3696
    > >
    > > ther's confirmation from Billy West that a Futurama movie (straight to
    > > dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    > > need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??
    > >

    > Pure speculation, but I wonder if they're using the movie as a way to
    > jump back into episode production. It's expensive to get a new studio
    > up and running, get all the old animators back, etc, and much of that
    > cost could be part of the higher movie budget.
    > "It'll cost $5 million before you even start scripting the first
    > episode?!! There's no way we're funding a new tv season!"
    > "Well, how about we give you a 90 minute movie for $8 million?"
    > "Hmm... I like it!"

    i think everyone ( by this i just mean all us futurama fans) certainly
    hope so. if the dvd sales are extremely good.... ?

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jul 18, 2005
  7. Ed  Kim

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:08:51 -0400, Marci <> wrote:

    >I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    >Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    >but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    >couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    >to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    >She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    >trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    >rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.

    I'd be wondering as well. While changing technology can be costly,
    DVD tended to be better in the long run. Here's why: VHS tape suffer
    wears on each use and after so many uses the quality gets rather bad.
    DVD don't just wear down like that. Also strong magnet kills the tape
    but not DVD.
    Impmon, Jul 18, 2005
  8. Ed  Kim

    Marci Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:08:51 -0400, Marci <> wrote:
    >

    >>I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    >>Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    >>but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    >>couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    >>to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    >>She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    >>trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    >>rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.

    > I'd be wondering as well. While changing technology can be costly,
    > DVD tended to be better in the long run. Here's why: VHS tape suffer
    > wears on each use and after so many uses the quality gets rather bad.
    > DVD don't just wear down like that. Also strong magnet kills the tape
    > but not DVD.

    I wonder how she'd feel if I got her a DVD player for her birthday? Too
    forward maybe?
    Marci, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Ed  Kim

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Invid Fan () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > ther's confirmation from Billy West that a Futurama movie (straight to
    > > dvd) will happen and that thtere might be a followuP? that's all i
    > > need to know, where do i sign up to preorder the dvd??
    > >

    > Pure speculation, but I wonder if they're using the movie as a way to
    > jump back into episode production. It's expensive to get a new studio
    > up and running, get all the old animators back, etc, and much of that
    > cost could be part of the higher movie budget.

    Compared to "Family Guy", "Futurama" uses a *lot* of fairly expensive
    computer animation, so it'd be even harder to get a 22 episode budget
    commitment.

    Also, FG uses Film Roman while "Futurama" uses Tokyo Movie Shinsha for
    animation, and although neither are "low budget" animation houses, TMS is
    higher quality and somewhat higher price.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jul 18, 2005
  10. Marci wrote:

    >>> I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    >>> Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system,
    >>> etc., but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player?
    >>> She couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and
    >>> couldn't begin to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money.
    >>> Too much effort. She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my
    >>> head was spinning trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't
    >>> mean she has to get rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player
    >>> with the newer purchases.

    >> I'd be wondering as well. While changing technology can be costly,
    >> DVD tended to be better in the long run. Here's why: VHS tape suffer
    >> wears on each use and after so many uses the quality gets rather bad.
    >> DVD don't just wear down like that. Also strong magnet kills the tape
    >> but not DVD.

    > I wonder how she'd feel if I got her a DVD player for her birthday? Too
    > forward maybe?

    No, you do what all us other disk drug-dealers have done for the past
    seven years:
    Get her a cheap DVD/VCR combo player, and innocently say, "Y'see, that's
    all right...Now you can buy all your *next* new movies on DVD!"

    (...MuahahaHAAAA!!) >:)

    Derek Janssen ("Won't replace your tapes", huh?--Let's just see how long
    THAT lasts!)
    Derek Janssen, Jul 19, 2005
  11. Ed  Kim

    Jordan Guest

    That news ROCKS!

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jul 19, 2005
  12. Ed  Kim

    Jordan Guest

    That's how I got my mom to jump and when Blu-Ray or HDDVD comes about
    I'll do the same thing... If you're happy with what you have then don't
    bother upgrading the media, but there's certainly no reason to buy new
    stuff in an old format.

    Lord of the Rings on VHS? (Shudder)...

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Jul 19, 2005
  13. Ed  Kim

    Impmon Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 15:45:34 -0400, Marci <> wrote:

    >I wonder how she'd feel if I got her a DVD player for her birthday? Too
    >forward maybe?

    One plus coupon or gift cetrificate for a few rental DVDs at local
    rental shop. Let her try it and if she likes the difference in video
    quality, expect her VHS collection out on the yard at her next yard
    sale ^_^
    Impmon, Jul 19, 2005
  14. Ed Kim wrote:

    > Marci wrote:
    >
    >>Impmon wrote:

    >>>That's good. I guess the VHS only owners would be left behind. Then
    >>>again with cheap DVD players going for under $30 these days there's
    >>>almost no reason not to have a DVD player at all.

    >>I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    >>Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    >>but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    >>couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    >>to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    >>She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    >>trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    >>rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.

    > she had a WIDESCREEN plasma tv and watched full-screen (or letterboxed)
    > VHS on it (ie. non-Anamorphic)? Aside from how awful VHS looks,
    > doesn't it bother her to watch stuff stretched or window-boxed (or does
    > she have a zoom feature)? And she has a "state of the art sound
    > system", which ostenibly means DTS and DD5.1 and no 5.1 source? She
    > spends (say) $10k on a home theatre system and complains about the
    > price to upgrade software? wow...

    She's probably impressed by how *big* her screen is, regardless of the
    quality of the content.

    Reminds me of the people who buy what they think are top notch stereo
    systems and just crank up the bass on the EQ as high as it goes. They
    think the louder the **BOOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM** the better
    stereo they have! Then, when I am not impressed, they think I'm jealous.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Jul 19, 2005
  15. Ed  Kim

    Ed Kim Guest

    The Man Behind The Curtain wrote:
    > Ed Kim wrote:
    > >
    > > Marci wrote:

    > >>I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    > >>Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    > >>but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    > >>couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    > >>to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    > >>She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    > >>trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    > >>rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.

    > > she had a WIDESCREEN plasma tv and watched full-screen (or letterboxed)
    > > VHS on it (ie. non-Anamorphic)? Aside from how awful VHS looks,
    > > doesn't it bother her to watch stuff stretched or window-boxed (or does
    > > she have a zoom feature)? And she has a "state of the art sound
    > > system", which ostenibly means DTS and DD5.1 and no 5.1 source? She
    > > spends (say) $10k on a home theatre system and complains about the
    > > price to upgrade software? wow...

    > She's probably impressed by how *big* her screen is, regardless of the
    > quality of the content.
    >
    > Reminds me of the people who buy what they think are top notch stereo
    > systems and just crank up the bass on the EQ as high as it goes. They
    > think the louder the **BOOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM** the better
    > stereo they have! Then, when I am not impressed, they think I'm jealous.

    lol.

    a friend of mine in college worked at Radio Shack. we visited him once
    and he started telling us how awesome OPTIMUS was. "Hey guys, check
    THIS out!" and turned up one of the Optimus stereos. It rumbled and
    sounded awful. "Uhm. Must be something wrong with this one..."

    -goro-
    Ed Kim, Jul 19, 2005
  16. Ed  Kim

    whodothere Guest

    In article <>, Marci <> wrote:
    >Impmon wrote:
    >> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:08:51 -0400, Marci <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I agree! My neighbor invited me over for wine, cheese and movies.
    >>>Gorgeous wide screen plasma tv, state of the art surround system, etc.,
    >>>but she has a VCR! I boldly asked her why not a DVD player? She
    >>>couldn't be bothered. She has so many movies on tape and couldn't begin
    >>>to imagine replacing them with DVD. Too much money. Too much effort.
    >>>She's happy with VHS. After I left her house, my head was spinning
    >>>trying to figure out the logic of that. It doesn't mean she has to get
    >>>rid of her tapes, just upgrade to a DVD player with the newer purchases.

    >> I'd be wondering as well. While changing technology can be costly,
    >> DVD tended to be better in the long run. Here's why: VHS tape suffer
    >> wears on each use and after so many uses the quality gets rather bad.
    >> DVD don't just wear down like that. Also strong magnet kills the tape
    >> but not DVD.

    >I wonder how she'd feel if I got her a DVD player for her birthday? Too
    >forward maybe?

    Actually thats a good idea, but get her a decent model like a Pioneer or other
    in that price range and get her a disk or two as a starter kit. If she likes
    the Eagles, buy her the "Eagles Farewell 1" concert DVD and set her sound
    system to DTS and she will never look back (OK, that was a bad "Boys of
    Summer" reference)
    whodothere, Jul 22, 2005
  17. "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    > Also, FG uses Film Roman while "Futurama" uses Tokyo Movie Shinsha for
    > animation, and although neither are "low budget" animation houses, TMS is
    > higher quality and somewhat higher price.

    Film Roman has nothing to do with Family Guy, except part of the first
    season. Family Guy is produced in it's own studio, w/ the animation done by
    a few different Korean studios (as per usual w/ TV animation). Futurama's
    animation was all done by Rough Draft Korea, not TMS.

    Greg
    Sweet Zombie Jesus, Aug 6, 2005