Further Orcon newsfeed troubles

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Best explained if I simply copy the email I sent to Craig Whitmore
    (who's not answering my emails) and Orcon Technical (ditto on ignoring
    my pleas for help) plus earlier correspondence quoted. If any other
    Orcon customers can help me out I'd really appreciate it. I've also
    been on the phone to Orcon twice with no results. I once again had to
    explain to an Orcon Tech moron (I'm sorry - but WTF do they teach IT
    graduates these days???) what Usenet is. *gigantic sigh*

    Here's the email I'm not getting any answers for:

    Can someone please tell me what the tech support guy who left voice
    mail
    for me this afternoon meant when he said "Craig says switch back to
    using news.orcon.net.nz" instead of news2.orcon.net.nz?

    Does this mean Newsfeeds.com (which I remind those unfamiliar with
    this
    matter is utter shite) has been replaced as the primary Usenet server
    by
    Giganews' service? If the answer is no - then I do NOT want to move
    back, even temporarily! I use an offline newsreader, i.e. I have a
    local
    cache of messages for the many newsgroups I follow. I am NOT waiting
    hours, even days to re-download those groups. I cannot just switch
    over
    as users of online clients can.

    So please, please, PLEASE let me know what the status of
    news.orcon.net.nz and news2.orcon.net.nz is and how I can get back to
    using your Giganews feed. Newsfeeds.com is NOT an option. Please.

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet said the following on 18/12/2004 6:06 p.m.:
    All snipped

    Newsfeeds is indeed news.orcon.net.nz news2.orcon.net.nz is Giganews,
    which was a test, that is not a production level service.

    You are right you have been asked to stop using the test server.

    Now you undoubtly will bleat your heart out here about the service being
    withdrawn, I point out again to you "It was a test of another provider,
    not a switch to or an alternative, but a test only"

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > I once again had to
    > explain to an Orcon Tech moron (I'm sorry - but WTF do they teach IT
    > graduates these days???) what Usenet is. *gigantic sigh*

    errr, who says that they are It graduates?

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 18, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:

    ALL SNIPPED

    Buddy, the Giganews was a test.

    Sure, the Newsfeed feed is shite

    Sure, I've had some piss poor service at times

    Sure some people have jumped down my throat for me daring to complain
    about Orcon

    But, given the fact that it was widely known (in this group) that the
    Giganews feed was a test, I feel compelled, just like Agent Smith, to
    say, that your starting to sound like a complete arsehole.

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 18, 2004