Funny!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jimbo, Jul 30, 2007.

  1. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    I found a hard copy of this while cleaning out my desk. It's about 12 years
    old and I don't know who the original author is. I figured you might find
    some humor in it.

    Bug report

    Last year I upgraded my GirlFriend 5.0 to GirlFriend 5.1, which installs
    itself as "Fiancee 1.0". Recently, I upgraded Fiancee 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and it's
    a real memory hog. It has taken up all my space and Wife 1.0 must be running
    before I can do ANYTHING!!!

    It is also spawning Child Processes which are further consuming system
    resources. Some applications such as PokerNight 10.2, BeerBash 2.5 and
    PubNight 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all.

    Additional plug-ins were automatically installed such as Mother-in-Law 55.8
    and there is no uninstall feature for these plug-ins. No mention of these
    behaviors was discussed in the brochures or documentation, although other
    users have reported similar problems.

    Because of this, some users that I know have decided to avoid the headaches
    associated with these upgrades and simply move from GirlFriend 5.0 to
    GirlFriend 6.0. Unfortunately, this is not without peril as well, as all
    traces of GirlFriend 5.0 MUST be removed from the system before attempting
    installation of 6.0.

    Even then, GirlFriend 6.0 will repeatedly run system checks (usually in the
    background, and often late at night when the system is asleep) to find
    evidence of previous versions. To cap it off, GirlFriend 6.0 apparently has
    a nag feature reminding about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0.

    However, I do like some of the features that you are planning to include in
    the upcoming GirlFriend 6.1 release:

    a.. A "Don't remind me again" button
    b.. Minimize button
    c.. Shutdown feature
    d.. An install shield feature so that GirlFriend 6.0 can be completely
    uninstalled if necessary (so you don't lose cache and other objects).

    Unfortunately, since I've already upgraded to Wife 1.0, I don't think I will
    be able to take advantage of any of these new features, unless you decide to
    include them in the next Mistress release. But, of course, there is a whole
    raft of problems associated with the use of Mistress 1.0 and Wife 1.0 on the
    same system - most notable are system conflicts and continual disk
    thrashing, which starts shortly after Wife 1.0 detects Mistress 1.0.
    Interestingly enough, all versions of PersonalLawyer (a sub-process of Wife
    1.0) still work fine. Finally, Wife 1.0 apparently deletes all MSMoney files
    before uninstalling itself; following that, Mistress 1.0 will refuse to
    install claiming insufficient resources.

    I personally find all these new tools and conflicts to be too confusing and
    time consuming. I wish I stayed with Dog 1.0b4. It slobbers and chews up the
    paper, but all in all these bugs are tolerable. It was simple to operate and
    we got along fine.

    ;-)
    Jimbo, Jul 30, 2007