    I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Gib Bogle

    Lebowski Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    news:bt0od9$4q2$...
    > I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    > WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    > .wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    > destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    > them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    > (sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >
    > I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    > might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
    >
    > Gib

    Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
    'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
    and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
    hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
    Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).

    Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
    audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
    You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
    using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
    Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
    valid wav files :)

    Lebowski, Jan 1, 2004

  3. Gib Bogle

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:59:50 +1300, "Lebowski"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >> I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >> WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >> .wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >> destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >> them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >> (sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >>
    >> I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >> might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
    >>
    >> Gib
    >>

    >Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
    >'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
    >and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
    >hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
    >Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
    >
    >Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
    >audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
    >You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
    >using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
    >Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
    >valid wav files :)

    How about converting them to high-bitrate MP3s and back to .wav?

    GraB, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Gib Bogle

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >
    >I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

    Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
    something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
    doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?

    Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.

    GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Craig Shore, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lebowski wrote:

    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >>
    >>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
    >>
    >>Gib
    >>

    > Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
    > 'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
    > and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
    > hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
    > Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
    >
    > Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
    > audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
    > You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
    > using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
    > Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
    > valid wav files :)

    The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
    to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
    options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
    put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
    Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >>
    >>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

    > Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
    > something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
    > doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?
    >
    > Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.
    >
    > GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Thanks. gspot thinks it is a wav file. The audio codec is adpcm
    (0x0002) Microsoft, the bitrate is 44100 Hz. The files range in size
    between 30 MB and 100 MB. I believe each is a full album (Rolling
    Stones, in case you're interested), which I guess means they are
    extremely compressed and not high quality, although they sound OK on my
    lo-fi computer speakers. Maybe SoundStream doesn't recognise such low
    quality wav files.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 1, 2004
  7. Gib Bogle

    pete Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    > >>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    > >>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    > >>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    > >>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    > >>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    > >>
    > >>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    > >>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

    > > Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
    > > something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
    > > doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?
    > >
    > > Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.
    > >
    > > GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    > Thanks. gspot thinks it is a wav file. The audio codec is adpcm
    > (0x0002) Microsoft, the bitrate is 44100 Hz. The files range in size
    > between 30 MB and 100 MB. I believe each is a full album (Rolling
    > Stones, in case you're interested), which I guess means they are
    > extremely compressed and not high quality, although they sound OK on my
    > lo-fi computer speakers. Maybe SoundStream doesn't recognise such low
    > quality wav files.
    >
    > Gib

    This sounds like (bad pun) wav files I have on a CD titled "Rock Legends" -
    the disk contains 25 full Beatles albums, each compressed to around 50 - 60
    megs. They can only be played i a PC by running the "beatles.exe" that's in
    the root dir of the CD which starts a player with all the album cover art,
    lyrics, etc

    pete, Jan 2, 2004
  8. Gib Bogle

    GraB Guest

    >The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
    >to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
    >options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
    >put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
    >Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

    Will they convert to MP3?

    GraB, Jan 2, 2004
  9. Gib Bogle

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:32:35 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >Lebowski wrote:
    >
    >> "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >>>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >>>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >>>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >>>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >>>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >>>
    >>>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >>>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
    >>>
    >>>Gib
    >>>

    >> Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
    >> 'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
    >> and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
    >> hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
    >> Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
    >>
    >> Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
    >> audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
    >> You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
    >> using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
    >> Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
    >> valid wav files :)

    >The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
    >to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
    >options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
    >put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
    >Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

    In Winamp 3 press CTRL-P to get the preference up, and it's under
    Plugins - Output

    Craig Shore, Jan 2, 2004
  10. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:32:35 +1300, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Lebowski wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message

    >>>Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
    >>>'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
    >>>and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
    >>>hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
    >>>Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
    >>>
    >>>Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
    >>>audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
    >>>You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
    >>>using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
    >>>Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
    >>>valid wav files :)

    >>The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
    >>to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
    >>options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
    >>put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
    >>Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

    > In Winamp 3 press CTRL-P to get the preference up, and it's under
    > Plugins - Output

    What I have is actually Winamp 3.0D, which may be different in some way
    from Winamp3. In any case, however I bring up the Preferences window (I
    can see 3 ways to get to it) the same list of items appears: Bookmarks,
    System (Media, Display, Advanced, Playlists, Usage, Browser), Internet,
    Audio (CD Playback, MIDI playback, DirectSound), Video, Skins, Add-Ons,
    Color, Media Info Editor. No sign of plugins.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 5, 2004
  11. Gib Bogle

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >>
    >>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

    > Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
    > something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
    > doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?
    >
    > Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.
    >
    > GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    I installed AudioConverter and converted the files to MP3 successfully.

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 5, 2004
  12. Gib Bogle

    Shannon Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
    >WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
    >.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
    >destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
    >them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
    >(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
    >
    >I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
    >might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
    >
    >Gib

    They're probably compressed WAV files. (One thing that's not so well
    known is that WAV files can use any ACM codec - same codecs as you can
    use with AVI files.) Media Player and WinAmp try to open the WAV
    files through the standard windows "ACM" (Audio Compression Manager)
    which uses the codecs to decompressess as need be.

    Roxio SoundStream might be assuming that they're uncompressed WAV
    files and using its own routines to access them. (Cool Edit 2000 is
    interesting - if you give it an uncompressed WAV file, it uses its own
    code, but if you give it a compressed one, you see a dialog about it
    using the ACM to decode the WAV.)

    How to tell? In Winamp, bring up the file info for the file. If it
    says on the second line "PCM" followed by some stats, it's
    uncompressed. If it says something else, like MP3 it's compressed.
    (And, yes, it is possible to have a MP3 compressed WAV file. I've
    done it occasionally - it's what happens when you just get the audio
    from an mp3 compressed avi output to a file.)

    Easier option if they're small files: load them into Windows Sound
    Recorder, go File, Properties and that shows you the current format.
    You can also click "Convert Now" and you can convert them (convert to
    PCM format, whatever resolution and rate you think is approprate.)

    Shannon, Jan 12, 2004