Funny Support Story

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by John R, Sep 18, 2008.

  1. John R

    John R Guest

    I thought some of you might enjoy this.

    Frontbridge is Microsoft's spam filtering service. My company has all of
    their email directed to them, and they filter and then forward to our
    servers. Every few days, each of our users gets an email that presents a
    table showing all of the messages that were filtered for their email
    account. The table is formatted very clearly, and includes links to salvage
    the message, and to mark them as not junk, etc.

    About six weeks ago, one of my users sent a ticket to support that they
    could not easily read these messages from the spam filter. The ticket
    quickly got escallated to me. I had her forward one of her messages to me
    and it appears that the item was being presented as plain text, thus making
    the table incredibly difficult to read. None of the other users in her
    domain had this problem. Further, if I forwarded one of my messages to her,
    she could easily see the items. (Note, when I send email to her, it goes
    directly server to server since they are in the same exchange org). I must
    have said to her at least 10 times that it looked to me as if it was being
    presented as plain text.

    I had her verify that she was using word as the default email editor, and
    also that she did not have the flag set to view all standard messages in
    plain text. After a couple weeks of this, I eventually cleared and
    recreated her outlook profile, still no luck. So, I forwarded the message
    to the support team at Frontbridge, who of couse totally ignored me three
    times. I know, I know, it probably was unrealistic of me to suggest that
    they sent her and only her messages as plain text, but I was hoping they
    could point me in the right direction.

    She finally escallated the issue to her boss, who of course called my boss,
    who of course wanted immediate updates.

    I don't know why, but finally it dawned on me that items that go to the Junk
    Email folder have links disabled and are presented in plain text. Not only
    that, there is a banner at the top of the message that tells you that. I
    called the user and asked her if she was reading these out of the Junk Email
    folder or out of her inbox. I don't think I have to go any further. You'd
    think that after all that time she would have mentioned 'Oh, look it says
    here that this item has been converted to plain text'.

    Humor update, part 2.

    Frontbridge ignored me because messages sent to their support email box go
    through the same spam filtering process as any other item. Thus, when I was
    forwarding her email, it had words like Rol** and Via*** riddled through it
    so it got filtered. Apparently, it never occured to Frontbridge support
    that maybe someone would forward a filtered message to them.

    John R
    John R, Sep 18, 2008

  2. John R

    Lam G Guest

    great story, nice job figuring it out! I can see this being a helpful in the
    future, appreciate you posting it! haha

    Lam G, Sep 25, 2008