Funny Story. and a question

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by rock, Aug 30, 2003.

  1. rock

    rock Guest

    I just ran into a small problem that in the end was very funny.
    A friend brought me her computer to repair because it was constantly
    rebooting, and she and her family coulld not install or run anything
    anymore.
    this machine runs winxp home, had no anti-virus, no firewall setup,
    and ran dsl....
    when i got it home and cranked it up i found it also had been set up
    without an administrative account, how you do this i have no idea, but
    it may have been done by a virus, i am just not sure how it was done.
    i got it to where it was not constantly rebooting and ran stinger on
    it to see just what kind of viruses were running on it and found
    msblast, sobig, nimda in several varieties...
    now stinger only looks for trojans and worms, and cleaned all of them
    but blaster, so i did everything i could to get rid of it before i
    did the ultimate and f-disked it and reloaded, i jumped through hoops
    to not reload it, but in the end i had to anyway..

    Is it possible to set up a winxp machine without an admin account?

    rock, Aug 30, 2003

  2. rock

    Ghost Guest

    In article <>, me wrote:

    > I just ran into a small problem that in the end was very funny.
    > A friend brought me her computer to repair because it was constantly
    > rebooting, and she and her family coulld not install or run anything
    > anymore.
    > this machine runs winxp home, had no anti-virus, no firewall setup,
    > and ran dsl....
    > when i got it home and cranked it up i found it also had been set up
    > without an administrative account, how you do this i have no idea, but
    > it may have been done by a virus, i am just not sure how it was done.
    > i got it to where it was not constantly rebooting and ran stinger on
    > it to see just what kind of viruses were running on it and found
    > msblast, sobig, nimda in several varieties...
    > now stinger only looks for trojans and worms, and cleaned all of them
    > but blaster, so i did everything i could to get rid of it before i
    > did the ultimate and f-disked it and reloaded, i jumped through hoops
    > to not reload it, but in the end i had to anyway..
    >

    > Is it possible to set up a winxp machine without an admin account?

    Not for nothing... but blaster is among the easiest to get rid of. It
    does almost no damage, and can be gotten rid of in about 3 minutes.

    Ghost, Aug 30, 2003

  3. rock

    rock Guest

    On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:34:16 GMT, Adam Leinss <>
    wrote:

    >rock <> wrote in
    >
    >> Is it possible to set up a winxp machine without an admin account?

    >The admin account is hidden by default. The only time you see it is if
    >you hit ALT-CTRL-DEL twice at the welcome screen and login as an
    >administrator. If you don't login as an administrator, you won't see
    >the account.
    >
    >Adam

    I actually tried that, there was only one account on the machine, i
    got it fixed anyway by reloading it, but i was just wondering..

    rock, Aug 31, 2003
  4. rock

    Kenny Guest

    Type "control userpasswords2", no qoutes, into the Run box and Enter. You
    can change how users log on and off from there.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Sep 3, 2003