Funny PPPoE behaviour ... !?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Garry Glendown, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Still having a hard time with a PPPoE backup link I'm trying to set up ...
    Got a 12.2 ios running on a 3640 with dual ethernet. Primary link is
    through the LAN with OSPF & BGP routing. Second ethernet does the PPPoE
    dialup, which in itself seems to work fine - I get the dynamic IP when
    doing "show int dial1" or "show user".

    I have added a static route to a remote site, which I have prevented
    from being redistributed on the LAN by a distribute-list.

    Doing a ping or traceroute to this site works while the primary link is
    up - the traceroute will correctly list several hops through the DSL
    backup link. Telnetting to the remote host shows the DSL dialup IP as
    source. Therefore, I must presume this part is working.

    The interesting part is once the primary link goes down (at the moment,
    on purpose for testing purposes - one test with a backbone link shut
    down resulted in the same behaviour). Once it does, though the dialup
    seems to keep on working correctly, I get erradic behaviour of the
    dialup - ping will work for some 5-10 seconds, then stop working for ~20
    seconds, then continue to work, a.s.o. Debugging of the PPPoE connection
    hasn't given me any clue, as I keep on having the same unchanged IP I
    must conclude that the link itself doesn't go down, otherwise I would
    receive a new IP address.

    A second site with a similar setup works fine ... and I can not see any
    substantial differences ...

    At the moment, I'm at a total loss of where else to look ... I have
    tried all the debugging outputs I believed able to give me any hints ...
    has anybody experienced a similar problem, or could give me some
    direction where to look??? I will check into a problem with the hardware
    tomorrow, mainly to (probably) rule it out ...

    Help greatly appreciated,

    -garry

    Garry Glendown, Dec 2, 2003