Funny but true

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Barry, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Barry

    Barry Guest

    Copied from the latest Langa's List.
    Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
    serious question and expect a respective reply.
    Any how, enjoy it.
    A lesson in Posting:

    How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?

    1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been
    changed

    14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
    bulb could have been changed differently

    7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

    27 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light
    bulbs

    53 to flame the spell checkers

    41 to correct spelling/grammar flames

    6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ...

    another 6 to condemn those 6 as anal-retentive

    2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is
    "lamp"

    15 know-it-alls who claim *they* were in the industry, and that "light
    bulb" is perfectly correct

    156 to email the participant's ISPs complaining that they are in violation
    of their "acceptable use policy"

    109 to post that this group is not about light bulbs and to please take
    this discussion to a lightbulb group

    203 to demand that cross posting to hardware forum, off-topic forum, and
    lightbulb group about changing light bulbs be stopped

    111 to defend the posting to this group saying that we all use light bulbs
    and therefore the posts *are* relevant to this group

    306 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to
    buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this
    technique and what brands are faulty

    27 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

    14 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the
    corrected URL's

    3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this
    group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

    33 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
    headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

    12 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
    handle the light bulb controversy

    19 to quote the "Me too's" to say "Me three"

    4 to suggest that posters request the light bulb FAQ

    44 to ask what is a "FAQ"

    4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

    143 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions
    about light bulbs"

    1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
    it all over again....
    Barry, Feb 12, 2004

  2. Barry

    CollectorNZ Guest

    This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

    CollectorNZ, Feb 12, 2004

  3. Barry

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:26:39 +1300, CollectorNZ
    <> wrote:

    >This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

    That should be nz.gen

    JJD

    JJD, Feb 12, 2004
  4. In article <>,
    CollectorNZ <> wrote:

    >This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

    Let's see...

    This copy
    <http://www.oclug.on.ca/pipermail/oclug/2003-September/033979.html> is
    from September, and has some amusing addenda from the respondent.

    This copy
    <http://pub227.ezboard.com/ftheparentclub60304frm33.showMessage?topicID=1
    3.topic> is from July.

    This one <http://amused.the-i.org/lightbulb> is from August.

    This one <http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum19/196.htm> is from
    December 2000! (It even uses the name "DejaNews" instead of "Google").

    This one <http://www.network-operations.freeserve.co.uk/lightbulb/> seem
    sto have a 2002 date on it.

    And that was just from the first couple of pages of Google matches.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Barry

    CollectorNZ Guest

    JJD wrote:

    > On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:26:39 +1300, CollectorNZ
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

    > That should be nz.gen
    >
    > JJD
    >

    >>Barry wrote:
    >>
    >>>Copied from the latest Langa's List.
    >>>Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
    >>>serious question and expect a respective reply.
    >>>Any how, enjoy it.
    >>> A lesson in Posting:

    ped·ant
    n.

    1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
    2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
    3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 12, 2004
  6. Barry

    BTMO Guest

    "CollectorNZ" <> wrote

    > ped·ant
    > n.
    >
    > 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
    > 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
    > 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

    I like to call such people "pendants". You can almost hear them foam up...

    :)

    Cheers,

    Brenton
    BTMO, Feb 12, 2004
  7. Barry

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:06:13 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > CollectorNZ <> wrote:
    >
    >>This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

    >Let's see...
    >
    >This copy
    ><http://www.oclug.on.ca/pipermail/oclug/2003-September/033979.html> is
    >from September, and has some amusing addenda from the respondent.
    >
    >This copy
    ><http://pub227.ezboard.com/ftheparentclub60304frm33.showMessage?topicID=1
    >3.topic> is from July.
    >
    >This one <http://amused.the-i.org/lightbulb> is from August.
    >
    >This one <http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum19/196.htm> is from
    >December 2000! (It even uses the name "DejaNews" instead of "Google").
    >
    >This one <http://www.network-operations.freeserve.co.uk/lightbulb/> seem
    >sto have a 2002 date on it.
    >
    >And that was just from the first couple of pages of Google matches.

    Me too

    :)
    Craig Shore, Feb 12, 2004
  8. Barry

    CollectorNZ Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > "CollectorNZ" <> wrote
    >

    >>ped·ant
    >>n.
    >>
    >> 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
    >> 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
    >> 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

    > I like to call such people "pendants". You can almost hear them foam up...
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brenton

    I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
    difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.
    CollectorNZ, Feb 12, 2004
  9. Barry

    Gib Bogle Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:
    > JJD wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 20:26:39 +1300, CollectorNZ
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> This is too good not to repost to NZ.Gen

    >> That should be nz.gen
    >>
    >> JJD

    > ped·ant
    > n.
    >
    > 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
    > 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
    > 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

    You seem not to understand your own joke.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Feb 12, 2004
  10. Barry

    BTMO Guest

    "CollectorNZ" <> wrote

    > I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
    > difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.

    Good point!

    Cheers,

    brenton
    BTMO, Feb 12, 2004
  11. Barry

    da da da Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:51:42 +1300, "Barry" <> wrote:

    > How many group posters does it take to change a light bulb?

    How many Bill Gates' does it take to change a light bulb?

    None. He simply declares that darkness is now the industry standard.
    da da da, Feb 12, 2004
  12. Barry

    JJD Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:51:28 +1300, CollectorNZ
    <> wrote:

    >BTMO wrote:
    >
    >> "CollectorNZ" <> wrote
    >>

    >>>ped·ant
    >>>n.
    >>>
    >>> 1. One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
    >>> 2. One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
    >>> 3. Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

    >> I like to call such people "pendants". You can almost hear them foam up...
    >>
    >> :)
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Brenton
    >>

    >I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
    >difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.

    Chaps, could you pass on my congratulations to the surgeon who
    performed your irony bypasses. Thanks a lot.

    JJD
    JJD, Feb 12, 2004
  13. Barry wrote:
    > Copied from the latest Langa's List.
    > Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group ask a
    > serious question and expect a respective reply.
    > Any how, enjoy it.

    nice man... but I think that you spelled something wrong...

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 12, 2004
  14. Barry

    Rider Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Barry wrote:
    > > Copied from the latest Langa's List.
    > > Unfotunately it is funny, in how true it is, when people on this group

    ask a
    > > serious question and expect a respective reply.
    > > Any how, enjoy it.

    > nice man... but I think that you spelled something wrong...

    And so it begins LOL

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 12, 2004
  15. Barry

    CollectorNZ Guest

    JJD wrote:

    >On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:51:28 +1300, CollectorNZ
    ><> wrote:
    >

    >>BTMO wrote:
    >>

    >>>"CollectorNZ" <> wrote

    >>>I like to call such people "pendants". You can almost hear them foam up...
    >>>
    >>>:)
    >>>
    >>>Cheers,
    >>>
    >>>Brenton
    >>>

    >>I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
    >>difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.
    >>

    >Chaps, could you pass on my congratulations to the surgeon who
    >performed your irony bypasses. Thanks a lot.
    >
    >JJD

    We got another one Brenton
    CollectorNZ, Feb 12, 2004
  16. Barry

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:40:18 +1300, CollectorNZ
    <> wrote:

    >JJD wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:51:28 +1300, CollectorNZ
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I like it but feel it credits some posters with enough sense to know the
    >>>difference and they have mostly proved they do not have that sense.
    >>>

    >>Chaps, could you pass on my congratulations to the surgeon who
    >>performed your irony bypasses. Thanks a lot.

    >We got another one Brenton

    Me too!

    JJD
    JJD, Feb 12, 2004
  17. Barry

    Gib Bogle Guest

    CollectorNZ wrote:

    > We got another one Brenton

    It did occur to me that I was the one who was being a bit slow.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Feb 12, 2004
  18. Barry

    CollectorNZ Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:

    > CollectorNZ wrote:
    >
    >> We got another one Brenton

    > It did occur to me that I was the one who was being a bit slow.
    >
    > Gib

    No worry, things on here get a little droll and repeatitive so anything
    to improve the signal to noise ratio :)
    CollectorNZ, Feb 12, 2004
  19. Barry

    JJD Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:28:47 +1300, CollectorNZ
    <> wrote:

    >Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> CollectorNZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> We got another one Brenton

    >> It did occur to me that I was the one who was being a bit slow.
    >>

    >No worry, things on here get a little droll and repeatitive so anything
    >to improve the signal to noise ratio :)

    What does this mean?

    JJD
    JJD, Feb 12, 2004
  20. Barry

    Barry Phease Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:28:47 +1300, CollectorNZ wrote:

    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> CollectorNZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> We got another one Brenton

    >> It did occur to me that I was the one who was being a bit slow.
    >>
    >> Gib
    >>

    > No worry, things on here get a little droll and repeatitive so anything
    > to improve the signal to noise ratio :)

    <pedantry>
    "droll"?
    </pedantry>