    their data sheet doesn't mention WPA/PSK (TKIP) explicitly.

    Peter.
    E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

    Peter, Apr 12, 2005

  2. Peter

    Chris H. Guest

    If the hardware doesn't support it, Windows XP won't either. It depends on
    the firmware on the adapter, and what is in use for the base station/router.
    I would ask in one of the general networking newsgroups or check
    www.practicallynetworked.com to see if they have information.
    In memory of a true friend, Windows MVP Alex Nichol

    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    Associate Expert

    Chris H., Apr 12, 2005

  3. Peter

    Uli Link Guest

    > If the hardware doesn't support it, Windows XP won't either. It depends on
    > the firmware on the adapter, and what is in use for the base station/router.
    > I would ask in one of the general networking newsgroups or check
    > www.practicallynetworked.com to see if they have information.

    The recent Cisco 350 drivers (> 8.4.x) / card firmware (>5.30.xx)
    support TKIP and WPA authentication.
    It worked for me in a test environment with WPA/PSK on Windows 2000 SP4.
    With an ORiNOCO Classic Card, ORiNOCO abg and Cisco 340/350 cards.
    For all cards driver only install, all managed by Odyssee 3.0x client.

    For WinXP SP2 WPA/PSK should work with M$ supplicant.

    In real world I use LEAP with CKIP and CCKM because I have to support
    Linux and MS-DOS clients too.

    --
    Uli

    These opinions are mine. All found typos are yours.

    Uli Link, Apr 12, 2005
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Uli Link <> wrote:

    >The recent Cisco 350 drivers (> 8.4.x) / card firmware (>5.30.xx)
    >support TKIP and WPA authentication.

    Do both of the above get installed when one installs the current ACU
    software? Win-Client-802.11a-b-Ins-Wizard-v15.exe

    Peter, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Peter

    Uli Link Guest

    Peter schrieb:

    >>The recent Cisco 350 drivers (> 8.4.x) / card firmware (>5.30.xx)
    >>support TKIP and WPA authentication.

    > Do both of the above get installed when one installs the current ACU
    > software? Win-Client-802.11a-b-Ins-Wizard-v15.exe

    Yes, but installing the Wizard installs much(!) more than only the
    drivers and the ACU itself.
    Cisco's ACU replaces the gina module of Windows for getting login
    credentials before sending it over the network. Remeber, with any
    authenticated network access, the network must be connected before the
    credentials can be checked over the network (chicken-egg).

    Same with Odyssee Client or any other supplicant with single sign-on
    capability.

    So if using Odyssee (or AEGIS Client) use only the drivers.

    If you have wizard-installed ACU you can try to select "use windows or
    another application for configuring" on the profile selection page.
    If WinXP SP2 is installed you should be able to configure WPA/PSK in
    Windows and ACU is using this profile. Perhaps create a profile in ACU
    using "host based EAP" and select this profile in ACU.

    Uli Link, Apr 13, 2005
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Uli Link <> wrote:

    >>>The recent Cisco 350 drivers (> 8.4.x) / card firmware (>5.30.xx)
    >>>support TKIP and WPA authentication.

    >> Do both of the above get installed when one installs the current ACU
    >> software? Win-Client-802.11a-b-Ins-Wizard-v15.exe

    >Yes, but installing the Wizard installs much(!) more than only the
    >drivers and the ACU itself.
    >Cisco's ACU replaces the gina module of Windows for getting login
    >credentials before sending it over the network. Remeber, with any
    >authenticated network access, the network must be connected before the
    >credentials can be checked over the network (chicken-egg).
    >
    >Same with Odyssee Client or any other supplicant with single sign-on
    >capability.
    >
    >So if using Odyssee (or AEGIS Client) use only the drivers.

    Too late for me - the whole above executable has been installed.

    >If you have wizard-installed ACU you can try to select "use windows or
    >another application for configuring" on the profile selection page.

    That's what I do. I have written here before and apologise for going
    over this again to anyone who has read that, but I can get open
    security or plain 40-bit WEP working in either windows XP or in the
    ACU, but

    >If WinXP SP2 is installed you should be able to configure WPA/PSK in
    >Windows and ACU is using this profile.

    the above doesn't work; I've tried it on several machines. Admittedly
    all were tested with the same Draytek wifi router...

    >Perhaps create a profile in ACU
    >using "host based EAP" and select this profile in ACU.

    I will try that tonight, thank you. However others here have
    categorically stated that the Cisco ACU (for the 350 adapter) doesn't
    support WPA/PSK and the only possible way is to use XP's config.

    My problem is that I can't get my head around the various different
    authentication schemes. E.g. I know vaguely what a Radius server might
    do but that's about it.

    In other contexts I have successfully configured VPNs. I've got one
    (IPSEC) between two routers, and another one (PPTP, couldn't get IPSEC
    to work) between the router(s) and remote teleworkers. Maybe I should
    forget WPA and set up a VPN.

    Peter, Apr 13, 2005
  7. Peter

    Uli Link Guest

    Peter schrieb:

    > I will try that tonight, thank you. However others here have
    > categorically stated that the Cisco ACU (for the 350 adapter) doesn't
    > support WPA/PSK and the only possible way is to use XP's config.

    with "host based EAP" ACU uses the Windows Zero Configuration service...
    This way you configure PEAP.

    If the Draytek uses a WPA compatibility mode, you'll have a problem.
    In compatibility mode there is WPA authentication but WEP encryption for
    supporting legacy clients.
    With the Aironet 350 cards you must TKIP only with any WPA mode.

    The Aironet 350 defintily can work with WinXP and WPA-PSK.

    WPA was developed with compatibilities in mind. The authentication and
    the frame format is different and incompatible. The TKIP encryption
    still uses the RC4 which is available in most cards hardware, with all
    known weaknesses of WEP successfully addressed.

    So an upgrade from WEP to WPA/TKIP/Michael is possible in firmware/driver.

    But most radios can not run WEP and WPA/TKIP/Michael simultaneously.
    That's what is done in compatibility mode. The broadcast must be in the
    old format, so that a none-WPA capable station can join the network.
    This doesn't really works. If you want WPA (with EAP or PSK) all
    stations must run the same cipher, TKIP/Michael.

    Uli Link, Apr 13, 2005
  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Just an update: the Odyssey client v3 doesn't work either on WPA/PSK.
    It gets as far as authenticating and trying to access the access point
    (their choice of terminology is interesting) but it fails.

    It almost does work on plain WEP but it fails to acquire the IP from
    the DHCP server.

    Very odd - I am sure this software should work. I reckon it must be
    something on my config, on the Cisco 350 card, or a compatibility
    problem with the Draytek router. The Linksys WPC54G works perfectly
    though.

    The reason I am persisting with the old Cisco 350 is because it is one
    of the very few cards that has an external-antenna RF connector. The
    WPC54G has vastly better software; everything just works but I would
    have to hack it to connect an external antenna to it. This is inside a
    ruggedised tablet PC which is very hard to get into.

    So I will now give up on this job; I have wifi working on plain WEP
    and can get it working on 64-bit (using either XP or the ACU) or
    128-bit (using the ACU); that's good enough at present.

    Thank you for your help!

    Peter, Apr 13, 2005