    Do DVDs when used for data simply behave like large capacity CDs?

    I'm getting a Pioneer DVR 106. What's this one like?

    TIA.
    John, Dec 18, 2003

  2. John

    dinZ Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    news:brs5rl$6q8r2$-berlin.de...
    > I'm getting a DVD burner soon and I'm looking forward to playing around

    with
    > it. Unfortunately the only thing that I can think of to do with it is back
    > up my data. There *must* be other cool things I can do with it... Any
    > suggestions?

    there was a guy who inserted his penis into the dvd tray a few threads back,
    you could ask him for help ;-)

    DinZ
    dinZ, Dec 18, 2003

  3. John

    dave Guest

    www.dvdrhelp.com

    download dvdshrink

    get copying films!! Bloody easy mate!

    dave, Dec 18, 2003
  4. John

    burriko Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting a DVD burner soon and I'm looking forward to playing around

    with
    > it. Unfortunately the only thing that I can think of to do with it is back
    > up my data. There *must* be other cool things I can do with it... Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > How practical/easy is it to copy DVD movies (i've heard it's a pain)? Is
    > there any issues with capacity on a blank DVD compared to "proper" movies?
    > How long does it take to burn?
    >
    > Do DVDs when used for data simply behave like large capacity CDs?
    >
    > I'm getting a Pioneer DVR 106. What's this one like?
    >
    > TIA.

    That's the model that i've got, and i haven't had a single problem so far,
    i'd definitely recommend it.
    The only interesting project that i've undertaken was to pitch-correct one
    of my PAL dvds, the pitch sounded so high on the original dvd because i was
    very familiar with the soundtrack. It was quite simple to do and the
    results were great.
    If you have some way to capture tv (a digital tv card would be ideal) then a
    dvd burner becomes even more useful.
    burriko, Dec 18, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    "burriko" <> wrote in message
    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm getting a Pioneer DVR 106. What's this one like?

    > That's the model that i've got, and i haven't had a single problem so far,
    > i'd definitely recommend it.

    Good.

    > If you have some way to capture tv (a digital tv card would be ideal) then

    > dvd burner becomes even more useful.

    Can you burn any MPEG onto a DVD in a format that *any* set top DVD player
    will read? Does it have to be of a certain standard/quality?
    John, Dec 18, 2003
  6. John

    Scotty Mc Guest

    "dinZ" <> wrote in message
    | "John" <> wrote in message
    | > I'm getting a DVD burner soon and I'm looking forward to playing around
    | with
    | > it. Unfortunately the only thing that I can think of to do with it is
    back
    | > up my data. There *must* be other cool things I can do with it... Any
    | > suggestions?
    |
    | there was a guy who inserted his penis into the dvd tray a few threads
    back,
    | you could ask him for help ;-)
    |
    | DinZ

    When the trays out, it makes a great coaster, maybe you should try that !
    Scotty Mc, Dec 18, 2003
  7. John

    burriko Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > "burriko" <> wrote in message
    > > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > If you have some way to capture tv (a digital tv card would be ideal)

    then
    > > dvd burner becomes even more useful.

    > Can you burn any MPEG onto a DVD in a format that *any* set top DVD player
    > will read? Does it have to be of a certain standard/quality?

    It has to meet the dvd video specification. The standard for PAL is Mpeg2
    at a resolution of 720x576, with a maximum bitrate of 10Mb/s. You can find
    a lot more info here
    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd#tech
    burriko, Dec 18, 2003
  8. DVDShrink + Nero
    or
    DVDShrink + ImgToolBurn
    or
    AnyDVD + CloneDVD

    Do your research... www.dvdrhelp.com

    Cathy De Viney, Dec 18, 2003
  9. John

    Starz_Kid Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I'm getting a DVD burner soon and I'm looking forward to playing around

    with
    > it. Unfortunately the only thing that I can think of to do with it is back
    > up my data. There *must* be other cool things I can do with it... Any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > How practical/easy is it to copy DVD movies (i've heard it's a pain)? Is
    > there any issues with capacity on a blank DVD compared to "proper" movies?
    > How long does it take to burn?
    >
    > Do DVDs when used for data simply behave like large capacity CDs?
    >
    > I'm getting a Pioneer DVR 106. What's this one like?
    >
    > TIA.

    Hello John, The first thing that you need to know is to NOT, i repeat do
    NOT install any of the software that comes with it, except for the NERO
    software!!! The other software on the cd is no good at all!!!!!!!

    You also want to stay with some good quality DVD blanks(Verbatim or TDK).

    Starz_Kid...
    Starz_Kid, Dec 19, 2003
  10. John

    smid Guest

    "Cathy De Viney" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > DVDShrink + Nero
    > or
    > DVDShrink + ImgToolBurn
    > or
    > AnyDVD + CloneDVD
    >
    > Do your research... www.dvdrhelp.com

    Ive been trying to do this, but its not the DVD Shrink I have problem, its
    putting the files back onto the dvd using Nero (6). Do I have to use the
    reencode stuff or something? I tried sticking all the ripped files into the
    video_ts directory and the dvd player just barfed it...

    Any specific guides for shrink and nero? Or just the nero bit when you have
    VTS_xx.VOB etc?

    Smid
    smid, Dec 21, 2003
  11. http://www.dvdshrink.info/nero-video.php

    RE: NERO

    Chose DVD-Video, check ISO 9660, drag the files from DVDShrink to the
    VIDEO-TS folder created by Nero (bottom left corner of your screen), burn.

    Could the problem be your media? I have used Beall, Optodisc (blue label),
    and Ritek G03 (all General, rated 1X, but burn at 2X on my Sony). What have
    you tried? I have read that some DVD players won't play DVDs burned at 4X.

    They play fine on:
    Apex 1500, Apex 5131, Panasonic S35, Panasonic E80.

    What DVD player do you use? If it is really old maybe id won't ply burned
    DVDs.

    Cathy De Viney, Dec 21, 2003
  12. John

    james Guest

    not to teach my granny to suck eggs but.

    The VIDOE_TS file must be in uppercase and the _ is not a -

    I spent ages falling over this little obstacle.

    james, Dec 21, 2003
  13. And be sure to type VIDEO_TS...

    not VIDOE_TS

    ;-)